From: 3c273 on

"Alister" <alister.gcs(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> A PC in true Hibernate can only be woken from the power button.
>
> Alister

This is wrong. I've had this argument before. Scheduled tasks can set a PME
(power management event) in the RTC (real time clock) that will bring the
machine out of hibernate. This occurs when you check the box labeled "Wake
the computer to run this task" on the settings tab of the Task Scheduler.
Wake On LAN can also be used to bring a machine out of hibernation. I do
both of these things regularly. Your hardware must support these mechanisms
in order to wake the machine.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_win_task
<quote>
Scheduled tasks use the real time clock (RTC) and power management events
(PMEs) provided by the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) to
wake the machine out of system standby or hibernate. On the settings tab of
a scheduled task, an option labeled "Wake the machine to run this task" will
set a PME inside the RTC for the time when the task is scheduled to run.
</quote>

I Can't find the WOL reference but I do it every day.

Louis

From: Unknown on
But not the keyboard or mouse.

From: Anna on

> Wow! If that's true I learned something today. It cannot be a power off
> condition then.
> What is the BIOS setting?

In the Gigabyte MB BIOS that I'm presently using the settings are "Power On
By Keyboard" and "Power On By Mouse". Obviously the setting might have
different labels in other motherboards having that capability. And there
might be other options available within those settings, e.g., the user can
set (if desired) a password after the keystroke. Or the mouse-click can be
set to a single or double-click.
Anna

From: Unknown on
Thanks! Something new each day.

From: Jose on
On Jan 21, 4:23 pm, "3c273" <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "Alister" <alister....(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> > A PC in true Hibernate can only be woken from the power button.
>
> > Alister
>
> This is wrong. I've had this argument before. Scheduled tasks can set a PME
> (power management event) in the RTC (real time clock) that will bring the
> machine out of hibernate. This occurs when you check the box labeled "Wake
> the computer to run this task" on the settings tab of the Task Scheduler.
> Wake On LAN can also be used to bring a machine out of hibernation. I do
> both of these things regularly. Your hardware must support these mechanisms
> in order to wake the machine.
>
> http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_win_task
>  <quote>
> Scheduled tasks use the real time clock (RTC) and power management events
> (PMEs) provided by the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) to
> wake the machine out of system standby or hibernate. On the settings tab of
> a scheduled task, an option labeled "Wake the machine to run this task" will
> set a PME inside the RTC for the time when the task is scheduled to run.
> </quote>
>
> I Can't find the WOL reference but I do it every day.
>
> Louis

It doesn't work for me from Hibernate on my ACPI system though and I
understand the use of the ST check box. It does work from Stand By.

Vista however, behaves differently that XP and there are a lot more
conditions/variables. The documentation specifically says it will
wake it from Hibernation but I think if is probably tied into the
hardware in some unspecified manner - it will come out of Hibernation
if all these stars are in alignment.

I see the Gigabyte MB can be configured to power up from the mouse,
but that has nothing to do with "coming out of hibernation" as we may
hear. It is powering up at a specific time or mouse click, not from a
ST.

The machine merely powers up and the XP decides what to do. It is an
interesting feature though - it would keep be from bending over to
turn on my machine.