From: Jim on

<yesnno(a)att.net> wrote in message news:42B5667F.A39D79DF(a)att.net...

> Is choosing a video card important for color management and using ICC
> profiles? For example, using the same profile, will the displays look
> the same on the same monitor for different (but comparable quality)
> video cards?
Not necessarily or even usually. The profile is specific to that particular
monitor and that particular card. The CRT monitors wear out hence even if
the factory profile is "close enough" when you first install the monitor, it
isn't "close enough" after some time has passed.
Jim

From: Bill Hilton on
>The OS and the video card must play some role in using a monitor's
>ICC profiles. What are they?

The OS has to support ICC profiles and the ICC workflow or it can't
happen ... earlier versions of Windows didn't offer ICC support for
example, which was a real plus for Apple in the digital market. I
*think* Windows 95 offered ICM 1.0 support and maybe with 98 they came
out with ICM 2.0 support, which was not too far behind what Apple is
doing. In typical Windows fashion they declared this 'good enough' and
haven't improved it much if any since. I remember that an OS like NT
didn't support this because you couldn't write to the video card (or
something like that), for example.

In Photoshop you can choose to use either the Adobe(ACE) conversion
engine or the Windows ICM option, which you can access in the Color
Settings (advanced - Conversion options) window.

As for the video card, you would have to use a very old or very cheap
one with few programmable registers to miss out on the ICC stuff. Any
decent newer card should be fine.

>Is choosing a video card important for color management and using
>ICC profiles?

I don't think so (I'm no expert on video cards though), so long as it's
fairly recent.

>using the same profile, will the displays look the same on the same monitor
>for different (but comparable quality) video cards?

You wouldn't use the same profile for different video cards but if you
generate one specific for that card then I'd expect the monitor to look
the same.

A good source of info on color management is "Real World Color
Management" by Fraser, Murphy and Bunting.

Bill

From: Paul N on

"Jim" <j.n(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

> <yesnno(a)att.net> wrote in message news:42B5667F.A39D79DF(a)att.net...
>>

>> Is choosing a video card important for color management and using ICC
>> profiles? For example, using the same profile, will the displays look
>> the same on the same monitor for different (but comparable quality)
>> video cards?
> Not necessarily or even usually. The profile is specific to that
> particular
> monitor and that particular card. The CRT monitors wear out hence even if
> the factory profile is "close enough" when you first install the monitor,
> it
> isn't "close enough" after some time has passed.
> Jim

I was asking myself the same questions as yesnno and I'm still puzzled about
the answers.

The video card clearly plays a role, since the role of the the LUT
downloader (Adobe Gamma loader, ColorVision startup) is precisely to set up
the video card to perform *some* corrections.

But: I suspect that you can swap video cards (not monitors!) without seeing
any difference: these LUT downloaders seem to work with all but very old
cards. So there must be a standard API in Windows that these programs can
speak to, regardless of the video card model.

As far as I know, Windows itself plays no active role in color mgmt, it
just allows you to specify a default profile. This profile is then used by
the LUT downloader, and apparently by color managing apps too (see next
paragraph).

From my experiments with ICM files created using the Spyder cal tool it
appears that the monitor ICM file is used by:

- the LUT downloader. Proof: use a tool such as Colorvision ProfileChooser,
change profile and see the *whole screen* change color.
- Photoshop & other color managing apps. Proof: Just bring up the same sRGB
file in both a managing and nonmanaging app and you see that the color
managed app shows different colors (although not by much).

I's not clear to me where to draw the line between calibration and
characterization, it looks somewhat arbitrary.

It's also not clear if Adobe Gamma loader and other LUT loaders 'misuse' the
ICM file to store their proprietary tables, in other words: is this LUT info
fundamentally part of the profile or is it just used by LUT loaders because
it's a convenient place? Is the ICM file more than a profile?

It would be interesting to know what the minimum spec is that all video
cards are supposed to implement (regarding color mgmt). It looks like it's
just 3 tables (one for r/g/b) with 256 entries that convert an incoming
intensity value to a 'corrected' value that is sent to the monitor.

But: 3 one-dimensional tables are not enough to allow mapping any RGB triple
to another triple. To solve this correctly you need a big 3-dimensional
table (256^3 or millions of entries). Yet an ICC file is small.
Interpolation?

Many questions and no clear image of how all these pieces of the puzzle fit
together.........

From: Bill Hilton on
>Paul N writes ...
>
>I's not clear to me where to draw the line between calibration
>and characterization, it looks somewhat arbitrary.

No, it's not arbitrary. When you run the Spyder software you first
adjust the brightness and contrast controls to get the right black
point and luminance, then you adjust the separate RGB guns to get the
right custom white point. At this stage the monitor is "calibrated",
meaning it is in a known good state and will remain there so long as
these controls aren't changed (or until the monitor drifts, which could
be as soon as two weeks).

In this context "characterization" means the software displays colors
of known values on the screen and the puck measures them to see if
there are differences between what the color *should* look like (per
the numbers) vs what the colors actually look like as recorded by the
puck. Once all these colors are measured the software takes all the
differences into account and creates the ICC monitor profile, which
tries to translate the color RGB values on the fly so what you see on
screen (taking into account the unique properties of your monitor) look
as close as possible to what is represented by the RGB triplets.

>Any web pointer or other reference greatly appreciated!

This is a good intro to what's going on with the 'translations' (but
not to the LUT level) ...
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/13605.html ... the same guy is
co-author of "Real World Color Management", which is highly
recommended.

For background on the ICC flow the main site is www.color.org which is
the official site of the ICC (International Color Consortium), but it's
hard to read.

>Many questions and no clear image of how all these pieces of the puzzle
>fit together.

I wouldn't worry too much about what's going on at the register level
of the video card ... what's important is understanding that color
managed apps 'translate' colors between different devices. After a
while you find that there are a lot of inaccurate ICC profiles out
there (especially printer profiles) and what's important is generating
or finding good, accurate profiles and knowing when you have a bad one.

Bill

From: Paul N on

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665(a)aol.com> wrote in message
[...]
> I wouldn't worry too much about what's going on at the register level
> of the video card ... what's important is understanding that color
> managed apps 'translate' colors between different devices. After a
> while you find that there are a lot of inaccurate ICC profiles out
> there (especially printer profiles) and what's important is generating
> or finding good, accurate profiles and knowing when you have a bad one.

Actually the 'register level' is not my concern. What *does* concern me is
that -apparently- part of the color correction for display is done in
hardware and part in software.

Which means that non color managed apps show 'partly corrected' images. A
good thing in itself. But what part?? 90%? 50%? Unpredictable? Note: let's
suppose the images are sRGB; using large color spaces with non color managed
apps is hopeless.

You may argue that one shouldn't use non color managed apps in a color
managed workflow. But for many amateur photographers like me, there are lots
of useful apps out there that are not color managed. So we have to live with
'partially corrected' color; knowing what 'partially' means would IMHO be a
big help.

I admit, in an ideal world where all apps would be color managed, I woudn't
care how it's done. But unfortunately this ideal seems a long way off...