From: Johan W. Elzenga on
Hecate <hecate(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

> >> Yes. No, it'll just work more slowly ;-)
> >
> >Sigh. Here we go again...
>
> If someone asks the question...
>
> You know both AMD based computers and Mac G5s are faster and more
> efficient than anything Intel produces for a desktop.

I know that Intel only produces chips and that right now the Mac G5 can
hold its own against any Intel based PC. I have no idea what a future
desktop Macintosh with an Intel chip will do. And I don't believe you
can predict that future either.

Besides, the question was NOT which system was faster or more cost
effective. The question was twofold:

1. Do many still recommend the Mac for serious graphics work?
Answer: Yes, many still do. YOU don't have to agree, though.

2. Will the user see any difference in how colors are handled?
Answer: No, because that is handled by the system (ColorSync)
so it doesn't depend on the chip. It's no different in a Mac G4
or G5, but those are also different chips (and manufacturers).

So your 'funny' answer was the typical 'PC vs Mac' or 'Canon vs Nikon'
reaction that is only meant to annoy 'the other camp'. I wish you
wouldn't do that. There are enough flame wars as it is.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
From: Hecate on
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:21:39 +0200, nomail(a)please.invalid (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

>> You know both AMD based computers and Mac G5s are faster and more
>> efficient than anything Intel produces for a desktop.
>
>I know that Intel only produces chips and that right now the Mac G5 can
>hold its own against any Intel based PC. I have no idea what a future
>desktop Macintosh with an Intel chip will do. And I don't believe you
>can predict that future either.

>Besides, the question was NOT which system was faster or more cost
>effective. The question was twofold:
>
>1. Do many still recommend the Mac for serious graphics work?
> Answer: Yes, many still do. YOU don't have to agree, though.
>
>2. Will the user see any difference in how colors are handled?
> Answer: No, because that is handled by the system (ColorSync)
> so it doesn't depend on the chip. It's no different in a Mac G4
> or G5, but those are also different chips (and manufacturers).
>
>So your 'funny' answer was the typical 'PC vs Mac' or 'Canon vs Nikon'
>reaction that is only meant to annoy 'the other camp'. I wish you
>wouldn't do that. There are enough flame wars as it is.

As an aside, I suspect that the reason Apple are switching to Intel is
DRM. All the Pentium D dual core chips contain a DRM module. FWIW, I
think that will drive more people towards an AMD solution as long as
they don't include DRM spy(hard)ware.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate(a)newsguy.com

From: John McWilliams on
Hecate wrote:

> As an aside, I suspect that the reason Apple are switching to Intel is
> DRM. All the Pentium D dual core chips contain a DRM module. FWIW, I
> think that will drive more people towards an AMD solution as long as
> they don't include DRM spy(hard)ware.

Suspect all you want. If you have faith in your suspicions, shorting
Intel stock and going long on AMD would be a smart move.

Good luck.

--
John McWilliams
From: Johan W. Elzenga on
Hecate <hecate(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

> As an aside, I suspect that the reason Apple are switching to Intel is
> DRM. All the Pentium D dual core chips contain a DRM module. FWIW, I
> think that will drive more people towards an AMD solution as long as
> they don't include DRM spy(hard)ware.

It's interesting to see how you always suspect alterior motives. First
Nikon, then Adobe and now Apple. Well, I have no desire to let the
discussion go that way, in fact I have no desire for an 'Apple vs
anything else' discussion at all. Just stop with the 'funny' remarks
each time Apple is mentioned, and let's go back using this forum for
PHOTOSHOP related issues, PLEASE.

From: Hecate on
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:18:34 +0200, nomail(a)please.invalid (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

>Hecate <hecate(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I suspect that the reason Apple are switching to Intel is
>> DRM. All the Pentium D dual core chips contain a DRM module. FWIW, I
>> think that will drive more people towards an AMD solution as long as
>> they don't include DRM spy(hard)ware.
>
>It's interesting to see how you always suspect alterior motives.

That's because I don't trust any major company as a matter of
principle. That way I'm never disappointed in them, and o0nce in a
blue moon they surprise me. What people tend to forget is that these
companies are not run for the benefit of users, They are run for the
benefit of profit and you, I or anyone else, except the company and
it's board of directors, will just get steamrollered if we get in the
way. That's the way capitalism works and anyone who thinks that any
company will display even the slightest hint of altruism is not living
in the real world.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate(a)newsguy.com