From: Mod Bod on
Sue Morton wrote:
> OK got a question:

> Does SD2.0 come with all of the same MIDI loops as EZD? My understanding is
> that it doesn't and that's why people have recommended the purchase of both.
> As I'm not a drummer, I'm thinking I'd get a lot of use from and much better
> output with MIDI loops than I do my current method of me creating all drum
> parts manually via the Piano Roll View (the drum hit version anyway).
>
> G'Bo (or anyone) do you know whether he'll get the loops if he only buys
> SD2.0? That's why he was thinking of getting EZD, then using that to
> cross-grade to SD2.0.
EZdrummer comes with a large collection of basic beats that are very
similar to each other. Sometimes it may only vary by a few ghost notes
of the snare from groove to groove. They are a bit hard quantized as
they were intended for song writing purposes. They are still great
beats though. I still go into that library to find a basic groove.
You'll have to purchase EZdrummer to get that collection, it's not part
of any other Toontrack collection.

All of the other groove collections have more flavor to them and they
really tend to take on the personality of the drummer who was on the
electronic kit when they midi recorded them.

The Monster midi grooves are nice. There's a collection of odd time
signatures that I never feel a need to use because I write Pop and Blues
based stuff. The new Midi fills pack is nice because they have a number
of them that use a lead in measure before the fill. That way it seems
like a more nature progression into the fill. I haven't had a chance to
use them in a project and all I've done is monkey with them and check
them for problems.

There's some excellent deals at Sweetwater and (ick) Musicians Friend
you can pick up both along with extra hardware for short money right now.
--
Dave "Mod Bod" Modisette

http://www.gatortraks.com/forum
http://www.gatortraks.com
From: Mod Bod on
kitekrazy wrote:
> Glennbo wrote:
>> The killer robot "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> grabbed the
>> controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>>> Thanks G'Bo. The Toontrack site has no information on this.
>>>
>>> Very good point, Dave will hopefully come along and give us the
>>> definitive of definitives :-)
>>>
>>> Do you (or anyone) know anything about the "Monster Midi Packs"?
>>
>> Hadn't heard of those packs. Are they midi patterns? I'll also check
>> my DAW when I get home, but I'm almost positive that I have midi
>> patterns for a lot of the EZX expansion packs for EZ-Drummer, and I've
>> only ever bought one EZX. If it's as I remember, they are including
>> not only the EZ-Drummer midi files, but also the ones for all the
>> other expansion packs.
>>

> I buy a lot of midi drum files from Groove Monkey.
Another great source of grooves from a really great guy.

From: Mod Bod on
Tom B wrote:
> But just so whomever is getting ready to purchase knows...
>
> Although you can audition the grooves in superior, if you fireup EZPro
> (which simply pops up and sits right on top of the S2 interface), you
> can then chop up, loop, mix and match, any part of as many of those
> grooves as you like and record that final personal groove to then use
> for S2.
>
> So the EZPro is a very powerful tool.
>
> There is a vid on Toontrack that shows how it works...
>
> Go to TT and Products, TT Soft Tools, EZPro. Watch that vid but imagine
> the whole time that S2 is sitting open under that app. Much like say
> Sonar or Reaper sits under a SoftSynth while you tweak on it.

I use EZplayer Pro this way too. It's like an artist pallet. I drag my
grooves into the arranger view first and collect them on different
tracks. My verse grooves may go on track one my prechorus grooves go on
track two and so on. I'm not using the arranger window to compose my
grooves but to slice and dice and just hold them. I then drag and drop
my grooves from the arranger window into my project. When I come back
to my project later and I open up EZPP, there are all of my grooves
where I can easily find them again if I want to do some further slicing
and dicing. There's even a little trick to show you what collection the
groove came from but I'm not sure if that's been released yet. They
keep us hopping in the beta test group and it's hard to keep track of
what's beta and what's released.

From: Mod Bod on
Sue Morton wrote:
> My friend didn't see some of the last information you gave me for him... and
> the deals were over with last night. So, he bought EZD and the crossgrade
> to SD2.0 for $200 total. He's confident he'll be happy.
>
> Please keep on with the ideas and information on how to use both of these
> products, I'll keep passing it on to him.
>
> And, most importantly, he asked me to let all of you know how much he
> appreciated your quick responses to his questions! :-)

Tell him to start saving his lunch money. I've been working with the
folks at Platinum Samples and they are on the down hill leg of the new
Evil Joe Barresi drum collection for Superior 2.2. This collection was
previously released for BFD. Evil Joe has contributed some of his own
presets for the kits. Also Rail Jon Rogut has got some great presets
too. I'm not sure if they are promoting these at the Metal crowd but
they certainly aren't just limited to that genre.

There is a video that demos the kit but the video doesn't do it justice.
It was an early version played on a kit that couldn't keep up with the
drummer who was one of the super fast Metal drummers. He's famous but a
guy like me wouldn't know him from Adam's house cat.

It would make a nice stocking stuffer.

From: Sue Morton on
Dave -

Thanks very much for your responses to all the questions, I've passed all
your info on.
--
Sue Morton