From: Homer on
Verily I say unto thee, that thanatoid spake thusly:

> For a super-fast lo-resource Win browser, check out www.offbyone.com

[quote]
Click here to download the Off By One Browser Setup kit or ZIP file
package, posted January 2, 2006.
[/quote]

A proprietary browser that hasn't been touched in over four years.

> No javascript, no flash, 100% safe browsing without bells/whistles.

Try this "super-fast lo-resource browser" instead:

http://code.google.com/p/arora

Javascript, flash, 100% safe browsing with bells/whistle.

And unlike "OffByOne" is cross platform, currently maintained, GPL
licensed, and scores 100% in the Acid3 test.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
00:36:56 up 1 day, 1:46, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.04
From: Homer on
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> Homer posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

>> http://code.google.com/p/arora
>>
>> Javascript, flash, 100% safe browsing with bells/whistle.
>>
>> And unlike "OffByOne" is cross platform, currently maintained, GPL
>> licensed, and scores 100% in the Acid3 test.
>
> It's in the Debian repository, too.

Same with Fedora.

However, the OP needs the Windows version, and Windows is handicapped by
lacking a central repository or any kind of package management, so he'll
need to download it the old-fashioned way.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| When all else fails, MOVE.L 4.W,A6 and JSR -726(A6)
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
13:11:50 up 1 day, 14:21, 0 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00
From: Homer on
Verily I say unto thee, that thanatoid spake thusly:
> Hi Homer
>
> (BTW, I realized you did not write 'The Odyssey' but are probably a
> major Simpsons fan. Oh well...)

I like The Simpsons, but I'm not a major fan really. In fact I barely
watch any TV at all.

I was actually given my nickname by a work colleague many years ago,
apparently because he thought I looked like Homer Simpson.

> I know the suggestion that the "whole Linux operation" could be a
> NSA/CIA scam was more than a little insane, but
[...]
> Subject: Re: Warning about FLV files From: net(a)watch.com Newsgroups:
> alt.binaries.tv.shaggable.babes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL!

> In article <s203165mkksr2sm594kjvdsd3g6qtcujgr(a)4ax.com>,
> jerry(a)home.com says...

[snip various stuff only half of which is true]

> http://forum.hidemyass.com/showthread.php?tid=1751
> http://forum.hidemyass.com/showthread.php?tid=1766

Interesting, although largely irrelevant to my situation.

WRT Flash, I don't use Adobe's plugin, but a Free Software plugin called
Gnash. Like any other software, it's entirely possible that Gnash has
bugs too, but they're unlikely to be the same bugs, and of course
because this is Free Software it's open to peer review (my "circle of
trust"). I have also looked at the relatively small sources for Gnash
too, in the past, out of curiosity, and didn't see anything particularly
sinister.

WRT PDF, I use Okular mainly, again because it's Free Software, so any
Adobe Reader / Acrobat bugs don't apply. Again, it may have it's own bugs.

WRT Google, conspiracy theories about them may or may not be true, but
there is nothing in any of the data I store on their servers that I
wouldn't publish openly anyway. Indeed, the documents I store on Google
Docs eventually end up on my blog, which is exactly what I use the
service for. They have an accounts area which allows you to review
exactly what data they've stored about you, and you can change or delete
it at any time. Currently my profile is mostly blank, and I use the
Customize Google plugin for Firefox to anonymise my search queries,
along with cookie management, a VPN service, and various other privacy
and security measures. But despite all that, I don't really have
anything to hide anyway, so frankly I think even the measures I do take
are rather over the top.

WRT Linux, I think the poster in the above article is just being
hysterical, for the most part, and his claims are entirely unsupported.
The only point he makes that's anywhere near valid is WRT data being
sent back from GNU/Linux installations. He doesn't name specifics, but
he's probably referring to a tool called SMOLT, which is optional and
may be turned off or even removed. SMOLT is basically a voluntary data
collection service that collects and collates anonymised system data
(type of hardware, etc.) It's quite harmless, and allows distro
maintainers to better target users' requirements based on the type of
systems out there. Personally, I don't like that it's installed by
default (opt out), but the fact is it's quite harmless. The data it
sends is stored in plain text and may be reviewed before sending (if at
all).

By far the only real threat in all this is various departments of the US
government, including the NSA, but not for reasons that have anything to
do with GNU/Linux. They have the power to search and seize data from
anywhere in the US, without a warrant, without being required to give a
reason, and without even requiring to inform the owner of that data.
They simply write their own "hall pass" called an NSL (National Security
Letter) then pretty much do whatever they want, wherever they want,
whenever they want, without any probable cause or justification. Worse
still, the holder of that data (e.g. the ISP) is then gagged by court
order to prevent him from even telling anyone an NSL was ever issued,
and any subsequent leaks of this NSL are similarly gagged, so that e.g.
the press can't even report it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter

So believe me, Google is the absolute /least/ of your problems.

If you have any data of any kind sitting on a server in the US, be it
with Google, your bank, or anyone else, then the US government can
access it without warrant and without even informing you, either before
or after the event, until and unless they come to arrest you under
whatever pretext they feel is justified (e.g. you criticised some
American invasion of a foreign country, therefore you must be a terrorist).

The real irony in all this, is that the US government then has the gall
to criticise China for it's censorship and human rights record, when
they are themselves basically operating like the Stazi.

Very fortunately for me, I'm not an American, and I don't live in the
US, however even we Brits need to beware extradition orders, since
apparently the UK has a "special relationship" with the US which enables
the American government to demand the UK Home Office hands over British
citizens to them without question or explanation. So in that sense, even
we are threatened by the same Stazi that threatens the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition_Act_2003#Controversy

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "Satisfaction with a current Android phone doesn't translate
| into desire to buy a new Android phone" ~ ZnU, CSMA refugee
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
04:01:24 up 4 days, 5:11, 1 user, load average: 3.19, 3.28, 3.22
From: Hadron on
Homer <usenet(a)slated.org> writes:

> Verily I say unto thee, that thanatoid spake thusly:
>> Homer <usenet(a)slated.org> wrote in news:qqs2j7-m1a.ln1(a)sky.matrix:
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that thanatoid spake thusly:
>
>>> Hmm, I can think of better ways to not be victimised by MS, such as
>>> not using Windows at all.
>>
>> For a variety of reasons (Skype works properly
>
> That's another proprietary program I don't trust, and apparently with
> good reason too:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skype_security#Flaws_and_potential_flaws
>
> That's quite a list of security issues, especially for someone as
> protective of his system as you.
>
>> there are MANY newsreaders which actually WORK fully, old age brain
>> melt/inability to adapt to a new system
>
> You're never too old to learn.
>
>> - which, once I have tried it, as much as I hate to say it, offers no
>> perceptible/verifiable advantages over Windows, and a LOT of
>> disadvantages).
>
> There are certain features that GNU/Linux newsreaders tend to not
> support, such as binary uploading (as you have found), however that may
> be explained by the fact that few people in the GNU/Linux community feel
> the need to participate in certain types of groups which, by and large,
> only really exists to support "piracy".

Total and utter nonsense.
From: Homer on
Verily I say unto thee, that thanatoid spake thusly:
> Homer <usenet(a)slated.org> wrote in news:ul74j7-1p4.ln1(a)sky.matrix:

>> I have also looked at the relatively small sources for Gnash too,
>> in the past, out of curiosity, and didn't see anything particularly
>> sinister.
>
> I trust you realize that sinister organizations are pretty good at
> disguising themselves. Did you know that Scientology owns and runs
> the biggest "cult awareness" site?

Something tells me the GNU Foundation probably isn't really affiliated
with Scientology, given the two organisations' profoundly antithetical
views on copyrights.

>> WRT PDF, I use Okular mainly, again because it's Free Software, so
>> any Adobe Reader / Acrobat bugs don't apply. Again, it may have
>> it's own bugs.
>
> "Its", not "it is".

I do it subconsciously, and of course the spell-checker doesn't pick up
those sorts of errors.

> BTW, what do you think of this little slogan I thought up (before I -
> final verdict not in yet - "decided" that Linux just was not worth
> the hassle):
>
> Have You Leen Uxperienced? (With apologies to the greatest guitarist
> of all time.)

Looks awkward, and I have an aversion to using the word "experience" in
slogans, after Microsoft's similar campaign for the "Windows XPerience".

Here's my own version of the Windows XPerience campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MVfOTtD6B0

But then, it's Flash, so you probably can't watch it.

> I'd try to sell it but I hear Linux is all free or sum'pn.

Free Software (including programs, music, films, books, and other
content) is in fact /sold/ for profit all the time. Companies like Red
Hat do it quite successfully.

Free = freedom, not cost.

>> They have an accounts area which allows you to review exactly what
>> data they've stored about you, and you can change or delete it at
>> any time.
>
> So they claim. Since when is Google in your 'circle of trust'?

They aren't, but then they don't need to be, if I'm happy for the data
they hold about me to made public.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter
>>
>> So believe me, Google is the absolute /least/ of your problems.
>
> I am well aware of that. ;-) And I don't even live in the US - not
> that it would matter if I did, since the most objectionable thing I
> have ever done is suggest that there is NO way two buildings built by
> the Japanese to withstand forces MANY times greater than a passenger
> jet impact could NOT have fallen straight to the ground like they
> (both) did, not to mention the third building which seemed to just
> want to join in all the fun and did exactly the same.

It was ludicrously obvious that those building were in fact subjected to
controlled demolitions. I find it utterly amazing that the government
can deny this, and people just accept their word for it. There are so
many inconsistencies in the "official" story that it's clear the whole
thing is a pure fabrication, but I've long since given up expecting any
justice.

> BTW - I just recently read that the CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE (yes, the
> guys in those goofy red uniforms) have INTERNATIONAL POWERS! (They
> put it differently, I forget the exact terminology.)

I vaguely remember reading something about that.

> Yes, it is rather curious how the UK gov't seems to be largely a
> puppet of the US these days...

We have been since the Thatcher/Reagan years, and probably even long
before that (WWII).

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "Satisfaction with a current Android phone doesn't translate
| into desire to buy a new Android phone" ~ ZnU, CSMA refugee
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.31.5
15:50:05 up 4 days, 16:59, 0 users, load average: 3.68, 3.44, 3.32