From: Mark McIntyre on
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 23:20:06 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 22:27:31 +0000, Mark McIntyre
><markmcintyre(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>Can someone explain this 'termination' business?
>
>When you connect through a VPN, the VPN server (termination) at the
>other end of the tunnel has an IP address pool that delivers an
>*ADDITIONAL* IP address to your workstation. This new IP address is
>part of the remote network.

Right, so we're basically talking about a router that can act as a VPN
server for incoming connections. Fine, I understand now, I don't need
that I think.

Mark McIntyre

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news(a)pointerstop.ca> hath wroth:
>
>>hmmm. I think "termination=server" might have been sufficient for Mark's
>>question, but this is all good for me :-)
>
> It doesn't have to be a "server". It can be terminated in the router
> at the other end.

Yeah, it has to be a server. A server is just the program that terminates
the connection. Yes, I know that's circular, but then so was
"termination=server"

>>> Now, you connect to a remote VPN server (termination). It gives you
>>> an additional IP address on its network as 192.168.25.53. Note that
>>> this IP cannot be in the same class C IP block as your own LAN.
>>
>>*ding*,*ding*,*ding*! How come? That's not what the Talisman help said -
>>it said "not in the DHCP range of your LAN". So my DHCP server is at
>>192.168.22.1 and gives out addresses in 192.168.22.100-150. I made the
>>PPTP server address 192.168.22.10 and _it's_ assigning addresses in
>>192.168.22.20-30 range. I guess that's wrong.
> 2. Note that there are two IP address "pools". One is for DHCP. The
> other is for PPTP. They are different and cannot overlap. Users (and
> brain dead admins) should be warned to not assign fixed IP's in either
> range. This may have been what the Talisman docs were mumbling.

Apparently they weren't mumbling, since that's exactly what it says. But
I'm trying to access the PPTP server in my _own_ router. You're talking
about using it to get from one LAN to another over the Internet; I want to
use it as my gateway _to_ the Internet. So if there's a prohibition
against it's addresses being in my own Class C block, that could be my
problem.
--
derek
From: Jeff Liebermann on
Derek Broughton <news(a)pointerstop.ca> hath wroth:

>But
>I'm trying to access the PPTP server in my _own_ router. You're talking
>about using it to get from one LAN to another over the Internet; I want to
>use it as my gateway _to_ the Internet. So if there's a prohibition
>against it's addresses being in my own Class C block, that could be my
>problem.

Well, you CAN use the same Class C IP block if you adhere to three
limitation:

1. Absolutely no duplicated IP addresses on both LAN's, expecially
the two gateway routers. If you home router is 192.168.1.1, then the
remote router CANNOT be 192.168.1.1. However, it can be 192.168.1.2.
That implies that the DHCP IP address blocks on each router must be
different and not overlap.

2. If you use the remote routers as your gateway to the internet
through the VPN, you will loose all contact with other machines on
your local LAN.

3. If broadcasts are blocked by either router, you will not be able
to use "Browse Network Neighborhood". If broadcasts are passed, then
you run the risk of having the remote DHCP server assign local IP's.
That implied that you should have different DHCP IP address blocks on
each router.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Derek Broughton on
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news(a)pointerstop.ca> hath wroth:
>
>>But
>>I'm trying to access the PPTP server in my _own_ router. You're talking
>>about using it to get from one LAN to another over the Internet; I want to
>>use it as my gateway _to_ the Internet. So if there's a prohibition
>>against it's addresses being in my own Class C block, that could be my
>>problem.
>
> Well, you CAN use the same Class C IP block if you adhere to three
> limitation:
>
> 1. Absolutely no duplicated IP addresses on both LAN's, expecially
> the two gateway routers. If you home router is 192.168.1.1, then the
> remote router CANNOT be 192.168.1.1. However, it can be 192.168.1.2.
> That implies that the DHCP IP address blocks on each router must be
> different and not overlap.

Great, thanks Jeff.

> 2. If you use the remote routers as your gateway to the internet
> through the VPN, you will loose all contact with other machines on
> your local LAN.

Not a pressing issue. The WLAN is really just for sharing an Internet
connection - I don't want the other homeowner browsing my machines, and
rarely have an interest in my own pair talking to each other.

In any case, I'll worry about that when I get the rest working.
--
derek
From: Mark McIntyre on
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:33:40 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>Derek Broughton <news(a)pointerstop.ca> hath wroth:
>
>>hmmm. I think "termination=server" might have been sufficient for Mark's
>>question, but this is all good for me :-)
>
>It doesn't have to be a "server". It can be terminated in the router
>at the other end.

Replying to an oldish post I know, but you're simply repeating what
was said above. If its terminating, its a server. If that happens to
be inside your router, then thats interesting but beside the point.

Mark McIntyre