From: Rico on
In article <MPG.1e79eac4a031075b98a029(a)news.cable.ntlworld.com>, David Taylor <djtaylor(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> >Bzzzt, cheating, that's not using WEP and requires an endpoint ;)
>>
>> It will work over a WEP encrypted connection
>
>The question was "is it possible to secure WEP"
>
>The answer is NO.

Well the answer is yes, there you are mistaken and the example is secure
sockets empoyed above the hardware layer.

>You have to use something else.

By itself which was not specified in the original post (there wasn't a
qualifier of can ONLY wep ...)

By the way, this is picking nits <grin/>.

>David.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
From: David Taylor on
> Well the answer is yes, there you are mistaken and the example is secure
> sockets empoyed above the hardware layer.

Again, you've used a different approach. That hasn't secured WEP, that
has secured the application layer. What if I'm using NetBEUI or IPX or
any other protocol that doesn't offer a winsock interface and hence no
SSL?

I don't care what *extra* encryption methods are added, adding them
means that WEP isn't the security method hence WEP hasn't been secured.
The link would be as secure using SSL either with or without WEP.

> By itself which was not specified in the original post (there wasn't a
> qualifier of can ONLY wep ...)

It was implicit ;)

> By the way, this is picking nits <grin/>.

Of course, that's all i've been doing for no other reason than for the
sheer bloody mindedness :)

David.
From: caapsoft@gmail.com on
Use www.openvpn.net.
It's open source, very safer and easy to configure.
Thanks

From: Rico on
In article <MPG.1e7fa99fbd229d7098a038(a)news.cable.ntlworld.com>, David Taylor <djtaylor(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Well the answer is yes, there you are mistaken and the example is secure
>> sockets empoyed above the hardware layer.
>
>Again, you've used a different approach. That hasn't secured WEP, that
>has secured the application layer. What if I'm using NetBEUI or IPX or
>any other protocol that doesn't offer a winsock interface and hence no
>SSL?

Then you are secure through obscurity. Almost no one uses these protocols
wirelessly.

>I don't care what *extra* encryption methods are added, adding them
>means that WEP isn't the security method hence WEP hasn't been secured.
>The link would be as secure using SSL either with or without WEP.

Sure it is, it's just being enhanced. The WEP keeps the casual snooper away
and the SSL keeps the geek away.

>> By itself which was not specified in the original post (there wasn't a
>> qualifier of can ONLY wep ...)
>
>It was implicit ;)

Was not <grin/>

From: David Taylor on
> Then you are secure through obscurity. Almost no one uses these protocols
> wirelessly.

Point was that there's no reason why not. Besides, if you happen to
have more than one protocol installed, Windows quite nicely sends out
session requests on all protocols bound to the windows SMB client. I
suspect that many people *are* in fact using these protocols wirelessly
to other devices on their LAN without even knowing it. :)

> >> By itself which was not specified in the original post (there wasn't a
> >> qualifier of can ONLY wep ...)
> >
> >It was implicit ;)
>
> Was not <grin/>

Was too <stamping feet>