From: John Navas on
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <kk8912h8dbvhjdrdmmqecp23lad877qmtm(a)4ax.com> on Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:38:16
+0000, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 09:33:40 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
>Liebermann <jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>
>>Derek Broughton <news(a)pointerstop.ca> hath wroth:
>>
>>>hmmm. I think "termination=server" might have been sufficient for Mark's
>>>question, but this is all good for me :-)
>>
>>It doesn't have to be a "server". It can be terminated in the router
>>at the other end.
>
>Replying to an oldish post I know, but you're simply repeating what
>was said above. If its terminating, its a server. If that happens to
>be inside your router, then thats interesting but beside the point.

It's actually just a termination point. Nowhere is it written that VPN is
always client-server(more accurately gateway) -- it can also be client-client,
and gateway-gateway. See "Best Practices For VPN Implementation"
<http://www.bcr.com/management/management_strategies/best_practices_vpn_implementation_20010301662.htm>:

IPSecurity (IPSec) is a framework of open standards that provides data
confidentiality, data integrity and authentication between participating
peers (i.e., client to client, client to gateway, gateway to gateway).

--
Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR ALT.INTERNET.WIRELESS AT
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FAQ_for_alt.internet.wireless>
From: John Navas on
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <O7GRf.1268$k82.1085(a)bignews3.bellsouth.net> on Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:01:38
GMT, rico_001(a)hotmail.com (Rico) wrote:

>In article <MPG.1e7fa99fbd229d7098a038(a)news.cable.ntlworld.com>, David Taylor <djtaylor(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:

>>> Well the answer is yes, there you are mistaken and the example is secure
>>> sockets empoyed above the hardware layer.
>>
>>Again, you've used a different approach. That hasn't secured WEP, that
>>has secured the application layer. What if I'm using NetBEUI or IPX or
>>any other protocol that doesn't offer a winsock interface and hence no
>>SSL?
>
>Then you are secure through obscurity. Almost no one uses these protocols
>wirelessly.

Actually much more common than you seem to think.

>>I don't care what *extra* encryption methods are added, adding them
>>means that WEP isn't the security method hence WEP hasn't been secured.
>>The link would be as secure using SSL either with or without WEP.
>
>Sure it is, it's just being enhanced. The WEP keeps the casual snooper away

Only a very casual snooper. Better to say "it will only keep honest people
honest."