From: Arthur Entlich on
I'm not trying to challenge your personal experiences with the Canon
versus HP printers, but to be fair, you really cannot compare a color
laser printer to an inkjet. Even the printer divisions may be different
in terms of support in the same company.

For many years HP used Canon engines in their laser printers, and it was
with those engines that HP developed the "never die" printer reputation.
The BJ inkjet line was a poorly made product, such that even Canon
recognized it and spent many millions of developing a completely new
inkjet printer from scratch, the "i" series, which has been very popular
and pretty reliable (as inkjet printers go).

HP has produced both stellar and dog printers in both their inkjet and
laser lineups, so one needs to look at the specific model, the cost of
acquisition as well as cost of consumables and add ons, and reliability.

I would not go on name or brand alone. They quality and costs vary
widely between models. I would agree that, in general, the less you pay
for a printer to buy it, the more the consumables will be, especially
with laser printers these days.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/26/2010 03:24 AM, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I'm not trying to challenge your personal experiences with the Canon
> versus HP printers, but to be fair, you really cannot compare a color
> laser printer to an inkjet. Even the printer divisions may be different
> in terms of support in the same company.

Canon Canada is Canon Canada. They don't make printers, they sell as
many printers as they can. They're into advertising, merchandising and
sales. Nobody there will get a red cent for fixing a problem on a
printer that's out of guarantee.

So they keep you waiting in line for the one word that would solve your
problem hping that you'll get pissed off and buzz off. THis is the
"division" that, as a user, you have to deal with.

For me, it's "no more".

> For many years HP used Canon engines in their laser printers, and it was
> with those engines that HP developed the "never die" printer reputation.
> The BJ inkjet line was a poorly made product, such that even Canon
> recognized it and spent many millions of developing a completely new
> inkjet printer from scratch, the "i" series, which has been very popular
> and pretty reliable (as inkjet printers go).

The problem with Canon Canada is that if the printer is no longer on
guarantee and there a little 5¢ sponge that needs to be washed, they
just won't tell you where the sponge is. The printer could be fixed in 5
minutes but all they keep answering is: "We"re got this new model at
half the price. Why don't you buy one?"

To me, the problem never was the printer but Canon Canada. I do
understand that Canon makes the cartridge of my laserjet and that
there's not much to the printer except this essential part, but I
suppose the cradridge is made to HP's specifications and it really works
well. I never had to deal with HP but I would think that their support
is much better than Canon's.

Canon has no take apart instructions online whereas HP provides
instructions to take the printer apart to the last bolt. To me, this
really spells a different attitude. At 90$, even shops can hardly buy
every shop manual and they refer you to Canon who always say that you
can get a new peinter for the price of the repair.

So, my advice is, if you're into $550 (1990 price) throw away printers,
Canon is for you. Otherwise, stay away for that bunch of thieves.

Once again, in my experience, though I sometimes had to clean the print
head with a Q-Tip, the BJ-300 was a sturdy work horse. The only problem
was Canon withholding information in order to sell you another printer.

> HP has produced both stellar and dog printers in both their inkjet and
> laser lineups, so one needs to look at the specific model, the cost of
> acquisition as well as cost of consumables and add ons, and reliability.

From what I read here, though HP's score might not be perfect,
customers are generally satisfied. If you stop looking for instructions
all over the net and go to HP's site for a solution to a problem, you'll
generally find one.

For instance, in the thread "Multifunction HP C4380 printer scanner".
Tobias had an unsolvable problem. I looked on HP's site and we never
heard form him again. Otherwise, Bob Headrick would have provided a
solution, just as you do for Epson. Who's Canon's... unofficial
representative on this group?

> I would not go on name or brand alone. They quality and costs vary
> widely between models. I would agree that, in general, the less you pay
> for a printer to buy it, the more the consumables will be, especially
> with laser printers these days.

Do you agree with Warren Block that laser color printing is still far
behind inkjet printers?
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/26/2010 01:39 AM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:58:38 -0400, Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds like I really should have a Postscript printer. I am
>>> self-employed and can't deal with printer limitation hassles.
>>
>> Maybe Andrew can explain further what he means by "more options and more
>> versatile" -- I must admit my needs are fairly basic -- but PCL
>> certainly does the job on my now old Laserjet 1012. (It doesn't feel old
>> in any way :)
>
> Tim,
>
> That wasn't me talking about "more options ..." That was someone
> replying to me. I was the OP asking about the continued importance of
> Postscript.

Sorry, Warren noted this already. I got the Who's who wrong :)

I hope you read what I wrote about PCL. From what Warren wrote, it seems
that unless you want to send printer files to a print shop, which is far
from necessary, PCL is perfectly all right.
From: Arthur Entlich on
Canons unofficial rep? Why it used to me Measekite, wasn't it? ;-)

While Bob Headrick actually worked for HP in their inkjet cartridge
division, I have no affiliation with Epson other than that I use their
printers, and found their customer support wanting so I decided to jump
in and help other owners.

To provide the "other side" of the fence, I also live in Canada. My
dealings with Canon have only been with their digital camera support,
and while not perfect, I have to say the information was there when I
needed it, although the guy I spoke with was arrogant and not very
pleasant. Luckily, the product I bought has been very reliable, and I
haven;t needed a lot of product support.

On the other hand, I bought two HP products which were absolute dogs,
one a slide and print scanner, and one a digital camera. The slide
scanner issue never got resolved although the unit was replaced twice
(by HP US, since they had no presence for that division in Canada at the
time). In the end I went back to my retailer who, even a year later took
the unit back, and got a credit from HP Canada, allowing me to use the
money to buy a Minolta branded product to replace it (which they special
ordered).

The digital camera story is even worse... much worse. The camera had a
known defect (well, I didn't know about it until it happened to mine and
I started researching it on line). It ate batteries for breakfast (I
was using NiMH), due to bad Chinese caps in it which drained the
batteries and didn't hold their charge. It turned out a huge portion of
these cameras were defective, and the problems included the whole line
up in this series. HP refused to admit the problem they repaired my
camera several times unsuccessfully. HP Canada was very unhelpful, and
it was only after I sent them about 1/2" thick of documents from the
internet, plus my own testing and evaluation that they finally agreed to
replacing the camera with one from a different series. Then, the last
minute someone "above" the customer rep who had facilitated the exchange
pulled the plug on the whole deal and dug in his heels, again starting
with "there is not problem with this model of camera" all over again.
It was infuriating. I sent a copy of the whole correspondence,
including the on-line print outs to head office in California to show
them the problems occurring here in Canada. What did they do? They
sent the whole parcel back up to Canada to deal with it, and it ended up
going to the same guy I had the problems with.

I eventually got some inside help from someone I met from HP who helped
me to get a new camera from them which was a new model which replaced
the defective one, but the whole process took nearly a year from the
point where I had begun. After speaking with my retailer about my
experience, they told me they had dozens of bad HP cameras which HP
refused to take back, and that they had a lot of angry customers. That
retailer, a large big box in Western Canada, stopped selling HP cameras
soon after my discussion with them, and have never brought them back to
their stores.

As I understand it from discussions with retailers, HP Canada is still a
mess, be happy you haven't needed them. I would agree they do make some
reasonable priced printers, although their consumables can be very costly.

As to your other question, while I wouldn't go as far Mr. Block to
completely discredit color laser printers for photographic output, I
would agree that inkjet is a better technology for that purpose.

Color laser printers do not have the same gradient values as inkjet, and
it is not just due to toner opacity or the number of ink colors inkjet
printers provide. Laser printers do not have the resolution of most
better inkjet models. The dots are bigger and therefore the blending is
poorer. Also, while inkjet papers can absorb the inks and leave a
smooth surface, laser toners sit on top of the paper surface, and often
look glossier or more matte than the paper surface itself. This gloss
differential doesn't look good. I don;t buy the opaque toner leading to
less mixing. If the dots were the same size and used similar patterns
to distribute the colorant, they would probably look similar. Toner is
not opaque, it is translucent, and so is pigment inkjet ink colorant.

I expect that eventually, if the demand is there, laser output could
come very close to rival inkjet, but for most applications, people
aren't that demanding. I have received some recent color laser samples
that from a foot or so away almost rival photos, and I know of people
who sell laser output as "fine art" prints, and that includes
photographic subjects. Laser isn't quite there, but the right machine
can brink it pretty close. More dots and more sophisticated dithering
patterns can make color laser pretty good. For that photo-like surface
however, you must select a paper with similar reflective qualities to
the toner after fusing, or laminate the surface after printing.

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/26/2010 10:16 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:

> And that's ignoring common problems like air bubbles or mini-clogs that
> waste photo paper and need a nozzle cleaning that sucks lots of
> expensive ink.

And labs won't ship you prints with air bubbles and mini-clogs and
numerous other problems? Why is it that I have serious doubts...

> It would be nice to have some definite numbers. Choose a printer. I
> suggest the Epson R1900, which seems like a good price/performance break
> and can handle up to tabloid size and panoramas; their web site has the
> refurb R1900 with full ink for $379 US.

It sells for $399, new. Almost no ink in the cardridges, I suppose? The
comments seem very positive but $400 for an inkjet printer seems a lot
of money to me.

The ink seems resonably priced, though:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyInkResults.jsp?oid=63073901

The cost per sheet is listed here:

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/cost-of-inkjet-printing-v1.html

An 8x10 would be 65¢ for ink + paper, ~24¢ = 89¢

> See how many prints you can get
> from a set of ink, and report it here, or at least let me know by email.

That would be in a year from now. I'm following the 4x3 format
evolution. Amongst other things, it would be so nice if someone came out
with a rangefinder camera that could stay on all the time, not drain
batteries and that you could brace against your face for stability.

I can keep dreaming though. These mechanics, that I had on my first
camera, a Yashica Lynx 5000, would undoubtedly be too expensive to
produce nowadays.

> Come to think of it, the forums at dpreview.com ought to have someone
> with serious photo print experience and recommendations.

Yes, this seems like an interesting option.