From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/24/2010 01:37 PM, MD34 wrote:

> I used to service Lexmark laser and color laser printers and hated them.
> Everything was hard to get to, tech support/parts order sucked big time.
> Documentation was terrible.

In about a year, I'll buy a color printer for printing photographs. As
I've already said, years ago, I switched from A Canon BJ-300 to an HP
Laserjet 1012. I can almost say it was a change in lifestyle.

The BJ-300 ink was so expensive it drove me nuts and dealing with Canon
Canada was a hooredous experience. OTOH, printing with the HP laserjet
has always been a no-issue experience (that is after they updated the
Linux driver about 6 months after I bought it). Here is how ot works:

1) Plug the printer into a power outlet
2) Plug the USB cable into the computer
3) Put some paper in the tray
4) Turn the printer on
5) CTRL + P
6) Click "Print"

and it prints, every time, without a dpi missing or being added.

I don't have printer concerns anymore. The thing is there, it's a
printer, and it prints!

So, I don't intend to go back to inkjet printing and cleaningprint heads
ebery tiem I print. As for Canon, it's out for the rest of my life. I
don't ever want to hear about Canon anymore.

Though I won't print much, maybe 500 pages/year, I'd rather pay more on
the printer and less on consumables, even if it turned out to be cheaper
to buy a flimsy thing that brings profits on consumables. I don't agree
with this way of doing business and it infuriates me. (Note that the
Canon BJ-300 sold for $550... in 1989 and that ink cartridges that would
barely print more than 350 pages costed $30. I didn't consider this
closely enough when I bought.)

So, given that I won't print much, that I want inkjet comparable
quality, that I don't need wireless or networking, that I need fully
compatible Linux drivers, which printer would you go for?
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/24/2010 02:41 PM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2010 15:11:56 GMT, Warren Block<wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>

>>> Is Postscript emulation still important. I do mostly text, but also a
>>> lot of PowerPoint, including graphics, plus the usual Excel graphics,
>>> webpages, etc.
>>
>> That's a judgement call. I'd say yes. A PCL-only printer is livable,
>> and some people can use a host-based printer without problems. But a PS
>> printer gives you more options and is more versatile.
>
> Sounds like I really should have a Postscript printer. I am
> self-employed and can't deal with printer limitation hassles.

Maybe Andrew can explain further what he means by "more options and more
versatile" -- I must admit my needs are fairly basic -- but PCL
certainly does the job on my now old Laserjet 1012. (It doesn't feel old
in any way :)

I had the same worry when I bought this printer but never regretted.
Maybe the PCL drivers other manufacturers provide leave to be desired, I
have no idea, but the PCL standards are open, I believe. Linux drivers
for HP printers certainly are. So I suppose if the PCL drivers don't
work well, maybe the same will go for PS.

I'd certainly appreciate more explanations from Andrew for my own benefit.

>> More is usually better, although it depends on the printer and how it
>> allocates the memory. Adjusting how the computer spools the print job
>> can also make a big difference.
>
> Oh. How can that be done?

Windows: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034678.html

Linux: ...no idea. I never had to tweek a spool file. Maybe, since Linux
was basically designed as a server OS, it spools and sends everything to
the printer as the memory empties.

But maybe this is completely wrong. Experts, please?

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/24/2010 11:56 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>> On 07/24/2010 01:37 PM, MD34 wrote:
>>
>> So, given that I won't print much, that I want inkjet comparable
>> quality, that I don't need wireless or networking, that I need fully
>> compatible Linux drivers, which printer would you go for?
>
> There may not be a good answer to that. Epson has open-source drivers
> and the printers don't seem to be terribly prone to clogging or drying
> out.

??? Arthur Entlich who often help solve Epson problems on this group
even has a guide on unclogging!

> Good ink and photo paper is still expensive, though.

From what I've seen, laser color printing doesn't come cheap either but
I suppose it might be cheaper. Which price ratio do you figure?

> Another option would be local or online photo printing services like
> mpix.com. That can be a lot cheaper than maintaining your own inkjet.

I doubt it. An 8½ x 11 is $3 at mpix, plus sales taxes in Canada.
Postage maybe? Even at 500 sheets a year, it would be $1,500. So I
certainly expect the printer to pay for itself in less than a year.
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/24/2010 11:47 PM, Warren Block wrote:

> That's a quote from me. PostScript is the standard page description
> language, usable on everything from low-end printers all the way to
> overgrown copiers.

I only expect my printer languaeg to work on MY printer.

"Printer Command Language, more commonly referred to as PCL, is a Page
description language (PDL) developed by HP as a printer protocol and
*has become a de facto industry standard*."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language

This seems pretty standard to me!

> It's resolution-independent: the same file can be
> printed on a 300 DPI laser or a 2400 DPI phototypesetter.

I don't intend to send my pictures to photo typesetters. And, if I ever
had to, I could send them a copy of the original.
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/25/2010 08:10 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:

>>> There may not be a good answer to that. Epson has open-source drivers
>>> and the printers don't seem to be terribly prone to clogging or drying
>>> out.
>>
>> ??? Arthur Entlich who often help solve Epson problems on this group
>> even has a guide on unclogging!
>>
>>> Good ink and photo paper is still expensive, though.
>>
>> From what I've seen, laser color printing doesn't come cheap either but
>> I suppose it might be cheaper. Which price ratio do you figure?
>
> I've never really worked out color laser price per page. Partly that's
> because a photo printed on a laser just can't compare to the shades and
> ranges available on an inkjet.

Really? Even with a printer that would cost, say, $500?

>>> Another option would be local or online photo printing services like
>>> mpix.com. That can be a lot cheaper than maintaining your own inkjet.
>>
>> I doubt it. An 8½ x 11 is $3 at mpix, plus sales taxes in Canada.
>> Postage maybe? Even at 500 sheets a year, it would be $1,500. So I
>> certainly expect the printer to pay for itself in less than a year.
>
> It really depends on what you're printing and what quality level you
> expect.
>
> Do you think you can print 8x10 or 8.5x11 on an inkjet with photo
> paper and non-fading OEM ink for less than $3 Canadian?
>
> As an example, a set of black and color ink for the older Epson six-ink
> printers is $18 + $66 US, + $27 for sixty sheets of paper. You'd have
> to get 60 perfect 8x10 prints from that, and I'm skeptical if that's
> possible. And that would still cost just a bit more per print than the
> photo lab prints at $2 (US) each.

If you count only the consumables, it's $111 / 60 , so less that $2.
Also, I've had bad experiences with labs for... chemical process color
printing. Is it right to assume that if you provide a digital picture of
good quality that's how it will come out once printed?

> A CIS could reduce that a lot. So could cheaper supplies, but whether
> that's acceptable depends on what you're doing with the prints. Sending
> them to relatives? No big deal. Selling them as art? Color matching
> and fading are important.

Even if it was to send to relatives, second quality wouldn't be
acceptable to me. I suppose I'll have to send a picture or two to one or
two labs before I buy a printer :)