From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/28/2010 11:39 PM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:42:11 -0400, Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:

>> I see the royalties that HP had to pay to Adobe for this rip-off as the
>> reason for which they decided to develop PCL for laser. For most people
>> PCL does exactly the same. As for me, there's absolutely no difference.
>
> I've noticed (at least on my Samsung printer, for which I have both
> Postscript and PCL "instances") that print job file sizes are much,
> much smaller for Postscript than PCL.

I never check the size of print jobs. I suppose they're in /tmp? And
really it doesn't make much difference nowadays.

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/28/2010 11:44 PM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:32:21 -0400, Tim Okergit<to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>

>> This ate all profits in a cinch. This color stuff was wedding
>> photography. The competition was fierce and the margins low. I couldn't
>> afford prints at $10 and some wedding photography places had their own
>> labs that provided excellent quality. I had to quit.
>
> Thanks to inexpensive, high quality digital cameras

High quality digital cameras are still pretty expensive, I find.

> , everyone has an
> "Uncle Bob" who will do the family weddings for "free."

I know a few
> pros who would tell their kids to find another line of work, and some
> of them have bailed out. Can't make any money these days. Customers
> expect perfection but won't pay for it.

I would rather say that many, many customers have no idea of what
perfection is. That's why uncle Bob is OK to them.

Also, nowadays, many people would rather not get involved in the process
of professional photography in order to give this special day all their
attention.
From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/28/2010 11:41 PM, Andrew Hamilton wrote:

> (And I'm going to buy a photo printer next year, so
> I can do nice prints from that full-frame D SLR!)

You certainly should get nice pictures with a DSLR. As you said it's for
your job, I suppose it's exactly what you need. But I find them bulky.
That's why I believe I'll opt for a 4x3. Though a 24 - 200 mm (35mm
equivalent) zoom would be fantastic, even a 35 x 105 would be perfectly
adequate.

Because I want to carry the camera with me all the time, walking or bike
riding, I object to bulk. I'm thinking of models like the latest Sony
and Olympus.

I suppose I'll have to compromise on quality but I certainly won't bring
a full-sized DSLR with me all the time, And no camera means no picture
if anything picture worthy happens.
From: Arthur Entlich on

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

try: http://www.costco.ca/PhotoCenter/PhotoCenter.aspx

> I became a member just
>> for heir color lab. They are one of the few "big box" stores who provide
>> color profiles and have their equipment calibrated by Dry Creek on a
>> fairly regular basis. In November I did a large exhibit of photographic
>> fine art prints
>
> You wouldn't have some sample photographs on the net so we can see what
> kind of photography you're in?

Nope. Not into "sharing" my images so others can claim ownership to them.

>> If you have agreed upon color management between you, the results should
>> be nearly perfect. If you are speaking about older optical methods,
>> there are many reasons a print could be "off", although admittedly many
>> are lab deficiencies. With wedding photos, pure neutral whites are often
>> a big issue, and that's why gray cards were invented on your side.
>
> Gray cards, gray patches and color patches were standard tools in my
> days so I have no problem understanding. I also understand the need to
> calibrate the monitor. I just read about gamut, icc profiles and so on.
> Here, my understanding is rather shallow. I hope the labs provide good
> instructions :)
>
>> On
>> their side that's why test strips, densitometers, and calibration were
>> invented ;-). I've run both a one-hour style and a custom lab, and
>> because I demanded professional results from both, we got them. While
>> the one-hour had more redos simply because the equipment back then was
>> less sophisticated, what we turned out was as good or better than some
>> pro-labs in our community.
>
> Too bad you're not in business anymore. All my problems would be solved :)

As I said, Costco is incredibly reasonably priced, and offers good
service. Although your mileage may vary depending upon the staff where
you are.

Art

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/30/2010 04:52 AM, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Tim Okergit wrote:

>>> I don;t know if you have a Costco nearby or not.
>>
>> Yes, but I'm not a member and I see no photo service at costco.ca .
>>
> try: http://www.costco.ca/PhotoCenter/PhotoCenter.aspx

OK, I made a bookmark.

>> You wouldn't have some sample photographs on the net so we can see
>> what kind of photography you're in?
>>
> Nope. Not into "sharing" my images so others can claim ownership to them.

There's not too many chances that anybody will claim ownership to your
pictures if you only provide small sizes. But it's your pictures. You do
as you wish, of course.

> As I said, Costco is incredibly reasonably priced, and offers good
> service. Although your mileage may vary depending upon the staff where
> you are.

If teh quality is good they are indeed "incredibly reasonably priced".
$1.9 for an 8" x 12" !!!