From: Phildo on
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527524.100-crystals--sound--water--clean-hydrogen-fuel.html.

From: Gareth Magennis on

"Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527524.100-crystals--sound--water--clean-hydrogen-fuel.html.

Interesting if true.

Sounds kind of similar to the HHO controversy. Basically, some sort of
"Catalytic" thing allegedly going on. Problem is, no hard Scientific
evidence to support the Hypothesises.

From: liquidator on

"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message

> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527524.100-crystals--sound--water--clean-hydrogen-fuel.html.
>>

> Interesting if true.
>
> Sounds kind of similar to the HHO controversy. Basically, some sort of
> "Catalytic" thing allegedly going on. Problem is, no hard Scientific
> evidence to support the Hypothesises.

I've seen a million ideas like this. One in a million, if even that,
actually works.

There is no free energy, only recovering energy, and storing it.

In sincerely doubt in this case the energy recovered is going to be worth
the cost of getting it.

The trick is to find efficient ways of storage....what if say you could
store heat during the summer and release it in winter? Would reduce both air
conditioning and heating costs.

We air condition out buildings by pumping the heat outside, then use
electricity or gas to heat water for use. Why not use the heat the AC
scavenges from the air to heat water?

I don't think there will be a "magic idea" like in this article. Just an
efficient reversible reaction...or several.

From: Leon on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:59:19 -0400, "liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com>
wrote:

>"Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote in message
>>> http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527524.100-crystals--sound--water--clean-hydrogen-fuel.html.
>>>

>> Interesting if true.
>>
>> Sounds kind of similar to the HHO controversy. Basically, some sort of
>> "Catalytic" thing allegedly going on. Problem is, no hard Scientific
>> evidence to support the Hypothesises.
>>

>I've seen a million ideas like this. One in a million, if even that,
>actually works.
>
>There is no free energy, only recovering energy, and storing it.
>
>In sincerely doubt in this case the energy recovered is going to be worth
>the cost of getting it.
>
>The trick is to find efficient ways of storage....what if say you could
>store heat during the summer and release it in winter? Would reduce both air
>conditioning and heating costs.
>
> We air condition out buildings by pumping the heat outside, then use
>electricity or gas to heat water for use. Why not use the heat the AC
>scavenges from the air to heat water?
>
> I don't think there will be a "magic idea" like in this article. Just an
>efficient reversible reaction...or several.

I live near a lake where 50 years ago people used to cut ice in the winter, and
store it for use in the summer. Lots of work... You know why air conditioners
are rated in tons? Thats how much ice they replace! You'd need a storage area
bigger than your house to cool it for all summer.

As for sound energy, the average speaker is only 5% efficient, so a 1000 watt
system will give you 50 watts, and if you can only recover 20% of that, thats 10
watts. Now thats for ALL of the energy. From any given listening point, you'd be
lucky to recover a few milliwatts.

Water is the ashes from burnt hydrogen... :)
From: liquidator on

<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:59:19 -0400, "liquidator" > I live near a lake
> where 50 years ago people used to cut ice in the winter, and
> store it for use in the summer. Lots of work... You know why air
> conditioners
> are rated in tons? Thats how much ice they replace! You'd need a storage
> area
> bigger than your house to cool it for all summer.

But see, that is part of the problem....people tend to think only in terms
of what they have SEEN. We need new ideas...

You totally blew by the word "efficient" in my post...I don't think you
meant the ice idea was efficient?

Take a look at the reversible hand warmers...the ones you boil in a pan,
then reactivate to give off heat. Those are probably a hundred times more
efficient than the ice idea. And still way inefficient. But at least an
improvement.

If we reduce consumption 25% by more efficient devices, then another 25% by
efficient delivery and storage, we have just doubled the length of time
before finite resources run out.We haven't replaced them, but we have
seriously reduced pollution.

If I exaggerated those numbers, it was just to make a point.

We will have to make a zillion incremental improvements. There is no one big
solution.

Here's a thought...gases are liquified by compression, which gives off heat.
Liquefy nitrogen in the winter, funnel the scrap heat released into the
buildings. It will take less energy to liquefy nitrogen , at least slightly
less, if you start at a lower temperature. Store the liquid nitrogen in huge
underground tanks.

It can be pumped thru insulated pipes to where cooling is needed in the
summer....

I am not saying that can be done efficiently, but it has at least a
chance...I'm not a detail person, more of a conceptualist. But I'm just
trying to give you an idea of directions I think we need to look at, not
specific ideas.