From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Dec 8, 1:06 am, cip <c...(a)pisicaverde.ro> wrote:
> I've made some progress in printing on TP.
> First of all, it seems that Epson printers are suitable, thanks to
> it's paper moving system (the paper is pulled to front, not pushed
> from rear). I've tried using an old Epson R300. The driver allowed me
> to set the sheet size at 10 cm x 1 meter, long enough for testing.
> The job worked OK from the very beginning.The only requirement is to
> stick a small piece of paper in front of the roll, using sticker tape,
> else the paper will jam immediately.
> The ink dries instantly, no paper jams, it's amazing fast (on draft
> printing), but a new problem occurs: the paper is somehow elastic and
> stretches. I need to fit the graphics to the spaces between the small
> perforations. And that seems to be impossible :-|

It shouldn't be impossible. Obviously a given sheet size is somewhere
4 inch bracket. The trick that seems to be used to overcome the
epson's print length limit is to, how can I put this, print a page
without a page break. Let's say you're printing on a roll, you print
page one that is 8.5 inches by 1 meter, then print page without the
command to issue a page break, another 8.5 inches by 1 meter.

Whether this means is finding the right rip support or

1) Print 4inch x 4inch to file, or what ever toilet paper is (perhaps
it's 4.5x4.5. . Make a copy three copies
2) (a) go in with hex editor and delete the last lines that
correspond to page break.
3) (b) delete the first few lines that correspond with
initialization, as well as the last lines the corespond with page
break
4) (c) delete the first few lines that correspond with initialization
5) copy (1) direct to USB port
6) copy (2) direct to USB port until such time as it's completed,
499-999 times.
7) copy (3) direct to USB port

I don't claim the above would work, it's just a wacky idea.

How much ink will you need?

Let's presume a given cartridge yield is 300 pages at 5% coverage on
8.5x11 paper
(93.5 in^2 x 300 = 28050 in^2)

Let's presume a given roll of toilet paper is 4.5x4.5 * 500 or 1000
sheets

(20.25 in^2 x 500 = 10125 in^2)
(20.25 in&2 x 1000 = 20250 in^2)

Looks about the same, but one can presume the coverage is going to be
greater than 5%. Still, in terms of raw surface area, we are talking
approx 108 8.5x11 sheets for 500 4.5x4.5 sheets
217 8.5x11 sheets for 1000 4.5x4.5 sheets
in terms of raw surface area.

Obviously you'll run out of ink if you're not careful with the size of
your prints. A CIS might be in order.

From: Bill (Adopt) on
In article <P86%k.2544$297.1934(a)newsfe23.iad>,
Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote:
> When I used the phrase "post-consumer recycled paper", I was not
> referring to post-consumer TP, but other types of paper, like bond
> paper, newsprint, maybe even recycled inkjet and laser prints... etc.

Indeed - and given the topic of conversation I was merely
commenting as an aside to a German Supermarket's attempt
at selling recycled TP into the British market - and the
'literal' interpretations between the two languages that
can provide so much amusement to our European Community!

We have equivalent amusing anecdotes that may be told of
English vv North American 'translations' - and we even
supposedly speak the same language!

...an amusing aside - but then you know that... :))

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
From: Arthur Entlich on
This sounds like a very painful and slow process by using an inkjet
printer. How you are going to do many rolls is beyond me.

Yes, most toilet paper is not hard dimensionally, so it will stretch and
skew a fair amount. There are some firmer TP's on the market which
would probably stay more dimensionally correct for a longer run.

Since I don't know you exact application, (does it actually have to work
as TP? or is this a gimmick or novelty) since those TPs aren't as
"comfortable" they are more like tissue paper used in gift boxes.

The R300 inks also are not waterproof (they are dye colorant in a water
soluble base) so if they get wet, the ink will indeed transfer.

If you require a waterproof ink, the Epson C and CX printers use them
(at least the OEM version does)

I think you mentioned needing quite a few rolls of this. printing a
meter at a time could take quite a while, and most Epson printers I know
will only print to 44" long and then they will eject all the extra
paper, which could make for quite the pile of unrolled TP on the floor.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: Bill (Adopt) on
In article <P86%k.2544$297.1934(a)newsfe23.iad>,
Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp(a)mvps.org> wrote:

[..]
> When I used the phrase "post-consumer recycled paper", I was not
> referring to post-consumer TP, but other types of paper, like bond
> paper, newsprint, maybe even recycled inkjet and laser prints... etc.

> Art

Yes, I am aware ..and do appreciate your postings, Art. :))

Given the obvious subject of the conversation I was
commenting, as an aside, on the literal translation
into English by a quality German Supermarket whilst
attempting to sell re-cycled TP, (printed or not!),
here into the British market.

Such a literal 'translation' can be a source of some
amusement, both within and without our multi-language,
multi-faceted European Community..

Then again, we too have equivalent and equally amusing
anecdotes over British vv North American 'translations'
- and we're even supposed to speak the same language..

...an amused aside; but then you know that.. :))

Bill ZFC

From: Arthur Entlich on
Let me tell you, my first language is American English, but I now live
in Canada, and some terms are unique here and took a while to
understand. Adding to that, Canada imports a lot of goods from all over
the world, and we require most to have at least "English" and French
translations of labeling, ingredient lists and instructions. Some
translations can be quite odd indeed.

Some of the best are literal translations, such as the example you
brought up. We really do live in the tower of Babel.

My worst experience with translation issues was when I ran a color photo
lab and we used Japanese made processing units. Since the user and
service manuals were both lengthy and constantly being updated as new
features and models were produced, and the production numbers were low,
the translations were done "in-house" by the company in Japan. Trying to
figure out what they were referring to in the diagnosis and
trouble-shooting areas of those manuals when you had a panel of dozens
of flashing LEDs and buttons truly required the patience of Job.