From: Tony Toews on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:20:22 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

># CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA

Speaking of APPDATA almost data in the APPDATA is settings or
"temporary" files which can be ignored if a hard drive starts to fail.
After all most applications store genuine user data, such as photos,
documents, Excel files, ec in My Documents.

And people know to do a backup of My Documents. Ok, only once a year
maybe if that but people know about it.

WIth two exceptiosn. Outlook and Outlook Express. For some unknown
reason MS puts those in APPDATA. OE put it's data files stuff way
inside in a GUID folder even as I found out last Thursday. <sigh>

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Mayayana on
| WIth two exceptiosn. Outlook and Outlook Express. For some unknown
| reason MS puts those in APPDATA. OE put it's data files stuff way
| inside in a GUID folder even as I found out last Thursday. <sigh>

Yes, and the parent folder is named with
a GUID that must match the one in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\*. You can
back up the OE files but you might need to
adjust that GUID later unless you're replacing
the system with a matching disk image.

Then there are things like wallpaper, HOSTS
file, bookmarks files for one or more browsers
(which get saved in app data), OE address book
(also in app data) file backup for the notable number
of programs that save docs to their own private
location by default, ISP/email settings, etc.

I think all of the common wisdom about
where to put files and where they get backed
up is for corporate employees. They work with
a limited number of specific programs like MS
Word. Their admin. may back up their Docs folder.
And that's all they really need. Other people
who keep things in the Docs folder do it simply
because they're unaware of how the whole thing
works. Docs is on C drive. When the system crashes
Docs is lost. It's really a bad idea in the first
place. All the more so these days, with people
having Windows AND all of their docs, photos,
etc. on a single, 300 GB partition. The whole thing
is needlessly lost if Windows goes south.

I take the approach of leaving it to people to
choose where to save files, so that they might
possibly get the idea to take charge of the
file system themselves, or at least know where
their files are. Time and again I run
into people who use Word, which saves to My
Documents without asking, and those people
have no idea where their files are. "Word knows".
Which is fine...until the PC crashes.

From: Tony Toews on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:50:41 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

>| WIth two exceptiosn. Outlook and Outlook Express. For some unknown
>| reason MS puts those in APPDATA. OE put it's data files stuff way
>| inside in a GUID folder even as I found out last Thursday. <sigh>
>|

> Yes, and the parent folder is named with
>a GUID that must match the one in
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\*.

Or you can explicitly name the folder in the Outlook/Outlook Express
Profiles. Which I've done as I place those files inside the My
Documents folder so the users back them up as well.

>OE address book
>(also in app data)

Oh yeah, that's in a WAB file. I forgot about that one.

The others well I'm not as concerned about. Thanks for remnding me
about the bookmarks though. I should talk to that user tomorrow to
see if that's a problem.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Kevin Provance on

"Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
:
: The program should still be installed by an admin account to Program
: Files. (However I've noticed that, among other things. Google Update
: and Chrome are now putting exes in APPDATA which are user updatable.
: Hmm, interesting. It appears MapPoint 2006 put some assembly DLLs in
: there too.)

I see this too sometimes. And until I read a reliable article from MSFT
explaining why or encouraging that kind of behaviour, it's a sign of either
malware or sloppy programming...or both. <g>

IOW...DON'T DO IT MAN!!!!

- K

From: Kevin Provance on

: On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:50:41 -0400, "Mayayana"
: <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:
:
:
: Oh yeah, that's in a WAB file. I forgot about that one.

I found some samples the other day about reading and writing the WAB file
through COM interfaces. It was a bit hackish, but it looked like it might
work.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Sorting UDTs