From: Karl E. Peterson on
Mayayana laid this down on his screen :
> The description sounds like Apple's app store
> or Ubuntu's software library. Presumably you
> can make trinkets in Silverlight, get them
> approved by MS, then sell them through Win8
> and give MS a cut, and/or host them on the
> Azure webhosting service.
>
> If this happens I presume it means the end
> of native code software except from MS partners.

The people I know who are playing with Win8 right now tell me it's "COM
to the core." That's all I know right now.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: The people I know who are playing with Win8 right now tell me it's "COM
: to the core." That's all I know right now.

What? Windows.Nxt isn't going to happen? <eg>

I hope your folks are right. I *love* COM.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:11:41 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Inadvertant truncation. I meant what I meant, not what I said. <g>

Ahh, ok. BTW did you notice Windows 2000
Application Specification for Microsoft Windows 2000 for Desktop
Applications
just above
Chapter 4: Data and Settings Management

That document might be out of date what with security lock down to
Common App Data MS did in Windows Vista.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:22:16 -0400, "Mayayana"
<mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote:

> See this download for a compact class that you
>can use:
>
>http://www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php5#set12

Very interesting set of links. Thanks for providig that.

Also your button code doesn't crash on my system even in an exe like
the JCButton code does. So maybe your user control will work for me.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Dee Earley on
On 28/06/2010 23:39, Claire wrote:
> Thank you Karl.
> Now I understand, I hope.
> When installing app to be used by all users how should the program be
> installed?
> I understand that HKLM must be used regarding the registry but how about app
> path?
> My app creates logs, keeps preferences in ini file, adds menu extension to
> IE browser and installs plug-ins for FireFox.
> How to do that for all the users?
> Any pointers appreciated,
> Claire

Our app (for legacy reasons :) shares its app configuration, logs, etc.
I create a custom folder under the common app data folder and then
change the permission.

This does mean any user can change them, but it is purely config logs
and recorded data that goes there, no executables.

This does leave a minor hole where a malicious user can edit the config
files to get the app (if run privileged) to overwrite something, but if
you have untrusted users on your CCTV system, you have bigger problems... :)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems