From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:13:23 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

� > WIth two exceptiosn. Outlook and Outlook Express. For some unknown
� > reason MS puts those in APPDATA. OE put it's data files stuff way
� > inside in a GUID folder even as I found out last Thursday. <sigh>

� Both are inexcusable, of course. I do think even Microsoft understands
� Outlook data has some value. But they've always considered OE data to
� be disposable, as demonstrated by them *deleteing* it immediately when
� OE finds it's no longer on the server!

I don't think that's unusual. The version of Agent I use does the same unless you mark it for
retention.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Kevin Provance on

wrote:
:
: .Both are inexcusable, of course. I do think even Microsoft understands
: .Outlook data has some value. But they've always considered OE data to
: .be disposable, as demonstrated by them *deleteing* it immediately when
: .OE finds it's no longer on the server!
:
: I don't think that's unusual. The version of Agent I use does the same
unless you mark it for
: retention.

But...it's your job to apologize for and accept the ways of your master. We
all know this already. Do you have anything new to offer? Or are you ready
to come back from the dark side and save your soul?

::snicker::

Yeah, I couldn't type that with a straight face.

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

From: Karl E. Peterson on
After serious thinking RDub wrote :
> Wow talk about a timely post. I am just getting ready to go Beta on an app
> that up until yesterday was using CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA to store temp and
> backup data.
>
> The thing is in all my testing both as a standard user and a Admin in XP,
> Vista, and Win 7 this was working with no problems. My App (not the install
> app) was able to create a directory 2 levels down (CompanyName/AppName) from
> CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA and read write to my hearts content. I am curious if
> anyone can explain why my app has not thrown an error when being run from a
> Standard User account in Vista or Win 7.

Yeah, I just tried it, and it works here too.

I'm running Win7x64 with UAC off, using an Admin account, and VB is
running as Admin as well.

As developers, we really set ourselves up to be fooled, don't we? <g>

> However after reading all the way through this thread, I have decided not to
> temp fate, and to go with CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA which if I understand correctly
> should never present a problem for any user attempting read/write.

That's supposed to be the case, yeah. Until MSFT gets the next wild
hair, at any rate. ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Paul Clement on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:04:34 -0400, "Kevin Provance" <k(a)p.c> wrote:

� : .Both are inexcusable, of course. I do think even Microsoft understands
� : .Outlook data has some value. But they've always considered OE data to
� : .be disposable, as demonstrated by them *deleteing* it immediately when
� : .OE finds it's no longer on the server!
� :
� : I don't think that's unusual. The version of Agent I use does the same
� unless you mark it for
� : retention.

� But...it's your job to apologize for and accept the ways of your master. We
� all know this already. Do you have anything new to offer? Or are you ready
� to come back from the dark side and save your soul?

Why would I apologize for an app that I don't even use?

Do you have anything new to offer or are you just commenting on my comments. ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
:
: And my point was to say that just because there are other sources of
: evil in the world, that doesn't excuse any single one of them.
:
: User data is sacred! Vendors be damned.

Have you forgotten who you are talking to? This is the head of the .Nxt
evangelicals and a top MSFT stooge. The very collective that said "to hell
with VB6 users and their code assets" the apotheosis of user data. You'll
never convince that clown that user data is anything other than expendable.
For him or any other .Nxt die hard to say otherwise would be hypocrisy of
biblical proportion and probably get them a major slap from MSFT themselves
for straying from the core MSFT mission statement: "We own our customers and
their data, and we care about neither."

Google and MSFT have more in common then they realize, eh? <g>

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last