From: Mayayana on
| CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA and read write to my hearts content. I am curious if
| anyone can explain why my app has not thrown an error when being run from
| Standard User account in Vista or Win 7.
|
| However after reading all the way through this thread, I have decided not
| temp fate, and to go with CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA which if I understand
| correctly should never present a problem for any user attempting
read/write.

You realize those are two different things?
If it's per-user data then your change makes
sense. If you want per-machine read/write
it's fairly easy to set permissions on your
subfolder in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA.

From: Mayayana on

| That's the very view I find so objectionable. It's not *their* data!
| It's the user's data.
|
| Twenty years ago, it wasn't uncommon to smoke at will in the presence
| of others. Today that's considered rather ill-mannered.
|
| The attitude that the vendor controls the data, and to hell with the
| user, is even more vile and needs to change as well.

I'm afraid the prevailing winds are blowing in the
opposite direction. Apple and Google both take
the liberty of controlling software installed on
hardware that you buy. The whole cloud trend
is partially a redefinition of software as a rented service
and data as something held by the servicer.

And Microsoft is apparently (finally) planning to issue
a "cloud-based OS" with Win8.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/06/leaked-windows-8-slides-an-app-store-for-windows-ie9-beta-in-august.ars

The description sounds like Apple's app store
or Ubuntu's software library. Presumably you
can make trinkets in Silverlight, get them
approved by MS, then sell them through Win8
and give MS a cut, and/or host them on the
Azure webhosting service.

If this happens I presume it means the end
of native code software except from MS partners.

Interestingly, the link to the original source
of these "leaked" files is now dead, as are the
download links that page was providing to get
the MS files that describe Win8.

This link has a sample image that seems to imply
that Win8 users will log into the MS "app store"
and see a quasi-Facebook setup where they can
not only shop for software but also download
"apps your friends love". Great, relevant "apps"
like "Where's my dog" or "Find coffee" :) Then you,
as the developer, will be able to log in to see
reports of how your software trinkets are faring
in the market.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-planning-039windows-store039-app-store-for-windows-8

I was intrigued by Apple's move last week to
sell real-time GPS data from the iPhone to
advertisers. Apple is selling *hardware*, but
they strongarm their customers into allowing
this intrusion by making them agree to a privacy
policy change when they visit iTunes. They have
no right imposing a software license change on
phone operation. (They might just as well do the
same thing to Blackberry or Android customers,
or to automobile drivers with GPS who visit an
Appple reail store.) But Apple has succeeded in
blurring the line by imposing the agreement online
rather than through the AT&T contract, where the
FCC might be involved.

So it's not just your data that are belong to us.
You are belong to us. And you gave us that power
by buying a phone from us.

I'm hoping that some sort of hacker vigilantes
start sending text messages to iPhone people,
telling them things like, "You've spent too much
time in the bathroom. What's going on." Maybe
then people would begin to grok what's going on.
:)

From: Mayayana on
This is the name of the download of Win8 docs,
by the way, if anyone wants to look for it:

Windows8PlanningSlides_Microsoft-w7v.rar

I don't do file-sharing/torrents, so I don't know
whether the available links are valid.

From: Kevin Provance on

: This is the name of the download of Win8 docs,
: by the way, if anyone wants to look for it:
:
: Windows8PlanningSlides_Microsoft-w7v.rar
:
: I don't do file-sharing/torrents, so I don't know
: whether the available links are valid.

It was on HuffPo and Betanews, respecively.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Sorting UDTs
Next: Copy from ListBox to TextBox