From: xxein on
On Jul 10, 5:15 pm, Michael Helland <mobyd...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 9:57 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello, congratulations.
>
> I know this probably took you a great deal of work, and you may feel
> short changed by my criticism, which obviously took a great deal less
> work, but I tell you me immediate concerns.
>
> > However, we may define an absolute or
> > universal reference frame as the one which is at rest with respect to
> > the center of mass of the universe and assume the speed c of
> > propagation of light to be an isotropic universal constant in that
> > frame.
>
> I think that what you are proposing here is not an experiment for
> detecting absolute motion, but a proposal for a definition of an
> absolute reference frame, one that I don't find particularly
> convincing.
>
> Why must the center of mass in the Universe be moving with respect to
> some absolute?

xxein: I swiched isps again so I hope this gets through.

The better question is "if everything is moving, how can c be a
constant?". It takes a while to understand the significance of this
and I hope you can. It puts profound limits on what the nature of
this universe must comply with besides a subjective obsrvation put
into a math description.
From: nuny on
On Jul 10, 9:57 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>          Last year I had held detailed discussions in these forums, on
> the feasibility of experimental detection of absolute motion.http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro/browse_frm/thread/e24d067ec6...
> Subsequently I compiled a formal paper titled "Proposed experiment for
> detection of absolute motion" and submitted to Physics Essays (An
> International Journal dedicated to fundamental questions in Physics)
> for publication. After a detailed peer review, this paper has now been
> published in this journal [http://www.physicsessays.com/]. The
> abstract of this paper is reproduced below.

The peer review was faulty; someone should have caught the obvious
flaw.

>                  "According to special theory of relativity, all motion is relative
> and existence of any privileged or absolute inertial frame of
> reference, which could be practically distinguished from all other
> inertial frames, is ruled out. However, we may define an absolute or
> universal reference frame as the one which is at rest with respect to
> the center of mass of the universe

There's the flaw. General Relativity assumes a three-dimensional
space which is curved through a fourth dimension such that the three-
dimensional space is unbounded but finite in extent; the usual analogy
is the two-dimensional surface of a balloon which is curved through a
third dimension leaving the surface equally unbounded but of finite
extent. No point *on the surface of the balloon* can be considered its
center of mass; it is located at a point within the balloon.
Analogously, no point in three-dimensional space can be considered the
center of mass of the Universe.

Your proposal to falsify Special Relativity seems to tacitly assume
that space must be Euclidean. It thus has the prerequisite of
unambiguously falsifying the concept of curved space and with it all
of General Relativity in order for the center of mass of the universe
to be contained within observable three-dimensional space. You might
consider starting with an alternate explanation for observations
attributed to GR, for instance gravitational lensing.

Mark L. Fergerson
From: xxein on
On Jul 10, 7:38 pm, "n...(a)bid.nes" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 9:57 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Friends,
> >          Last year I had held detailed discussions in these forums, on
> > the feasibility of experimental detection of absolute motion.http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro/browse_frm/thread/e24d067ec6...
> > Subsequently I compiled a formal paper titled "Proposed experiment for
> > detection of absolute motion" and submitted to Physics Essays (An
> > International Journal dedicated to fundamental questions in Physics)
> > for publication. After a detailed peer review, this paper has now been
> > published in this journal [http://www.physicsessays.com/]. The
> > abstract of this paper is reproduced below.
>
>   The peer review was faulty; someone should have caught the obvious
> flaw.
>
> >                  "According to special theory of relativity, all motion is relative
> > and existence of any privileged or absolute inertial frame of
> > reference, which could be practically distinguished from all other
> > inertial frames, is ruled out. However, we may define an absolute or
> > universal reference frame as the one which is at rest with respect to
> > the center of mass of the universe
>
>   There's the flaw. General Relativity assumes a three-dimensional
> space which is curved through a fourth dimension such that the three-
> dimensional space is unbounded but finite in extent; the usual analogy
> is the two-dimensional surface of a balloon which is curved through a
> third dimension leaving the surface equally unbounded but of finite
> extent. No point *on the surface of the balloon* can be considered its
> center of mass; it is located at a point within the balloon.
> Analogously, no point in three-dimensional space can be considered the
> center of mass of the Universe.
>
>   Your proposal to falsify Special Relativity seems to tacitly assume
> that space must be Euclidean. It thus has the prerequisite of
> unambiguously falsifying the concept of curved space and with it all
> of General Relativity in order for the center of mass of the universe
> to be contained within observable three-dimensional space. You might
> consider starting with an alternate explanation for observations
> attributed to GR, for instance gravitational lensing.
>
>   Mark L. Fergerson

xxein: You have a lot to learn too.
From: isw on
In article
<50ad2b40-c562-4b45-b9ba-791327139a03(a)k1g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,
GSS <gurcharn_sandhu(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Friends,
> Last year I had held detailed discussions in these forums, on
> the feasibility of experimental detection of absolute motion.

1) Do the experiment.

2) Collect the Nobel Prize (assuming it works the way you hope it will).

Isaac
From: Surfer on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:57:25 -0700 (PDT), GSS
<gurcharn_sandhu(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>In brief, the proposed experiment involves measurement of to
>and fro light propagation times between two fixed points on earth.

A number of such experiments have been performed in the past. It
wouldn't hurt for more to be done.

The Roland De Witte 1991 Experiment (to the Memory of Roland De Witte)
Progress in Physics, 3, 60-65, 2006.
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2006/PP-06-11.PDF

"....His results are in excellent agreement with the extensive data
from the Miller 1925/26 detection of absolute motion using a gas-mode
Michelson interferometer atop Mt.Wilson, California...."

Here is a paper which did not claim detection of absolute motion, but
graphs provided in the paper, appear to show such effects.

Test of the Isotropy of the One-Way Speed of Light using
Hydrogen-Maser Frequency Standards,
Krisher T.P., Maleki L., Lutes G.F., Primas L.E., Logan R.T., Anderson
J.D. and Will C.M.
Phys Rev D, 42, 731-734, 1990.

Here is a paper containing a diagram (Fig. 6) that graphically
compares the results of the above mentioned experiments and other
similar experiments, plotted against sidereal time.

Combining NASA/JPL One-Way Optical-Fiber Light-Speed Data with
Spacecraft Earth-Flyby Doppler-Shift Data to Characterise 3-Space Flow
Progress in Physics, 4, 50-64, 2009.
http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2009/PP-19-05.PDF

The correlations suggest a common cause related to sideral time, which
would be consistent with absolute motion effects.