From: GSS on
On Jul 12, 9:56 am, "n...(a)bid.nes" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>   AFAIK nobody says that rotation is not absolute.
>
>   Unaccelerated linear motion is said to be "relative" (nothing to do
> with Einstein, mind) because you cannot determine your state of linear
> motion without measuring it with respect to some external reference
> object.
>
>   Accelerated linear motion *is* absolute because you can measure it
> locally (meaning you don't need any external reference) with any of
> several types of accelerometer.
>
>   Similar for rotational motion; such things as Foucault's pendulum or
> gyroscopes (physical or optical) measure it easily without any
> external reference required.
>
>   "Absolute" velocity, as usually used, is the alleged velocity of an
> object with respect to the entire universe; but if such exists,
> there's no clear way to measure it.
>
>   Mark L. Fergerson

It is precisely this "absolute velocity" of the earth which is going
to be measured with the proposed experiment. If you study the paper,
you will definitely find a very clear description of a simple way to
measure it.
Phys. Essays 23, 442 (2010)
http://physicsessays.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PHESEM000023000003000442000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=Yes&ref=no

It is indeed very interesting to find how by simple automated
measurements of two atomic clock readings, we can compute the
magnitude as well as direction of this absolute velocity of the
earth.

GSS

From: nuny on
On Jul 12, 12:23 am, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 9:56 am, "n...(a)bid.nes" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >   AFAIK nobody says that rotation is not absolute.
>
> >   Unaccelerated linear motion is said to be "relative" (nothing to do
> > with Einstein, mind) because you cannot determine your state of linear
> > motion without measuring it with respect to some external reference
> > object.
>
> >   Accelerated linear motion *is* absolute because you can measure it
> > locally (meaning you don't need any external reference) with any of
> > several types of accelerometer.
>
> >   Similar for rotational motion; such things as Foucault's pendulum or
> > gyroscopes (physical or optical) measure it easily without any
> > external reference required.
>
> >   "Absolute" velocity, as usually used, is the alleged velocity of an
> > object with respect to the entire universe; but if such exists,
> > there's no clear way to measure it.
>
> >   Mark L. Fergerson
>
> It is precisely this "absolute velocity" of the earth which is going
> to be measured with the proposed experiment. If you study the paper,
> you will definitely find a very clear description of a simple way to
> measure it.
> Phys. Essays 23, 442 (2010)http://physicsessays.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal...

Yeah, I know. The external reference it proposes to use is the
center of mass of the universe, but the existence of such is
predicated on the assumption that GR is false.

Mark L. Fergerson
From: Androcles on

"Helmut Wabnig" <hwabnig@ .- --- -. dotat> wrote in message
| On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:27:23 -0700, "Socratis" <socratis(a)alice.it>
| wrote:
|

| >"Androcles" <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote in message
| >>
| >> "Socratis" <socratis(a)alice.it> wrote in message
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> You are already "out in space" riding the merry-go-round called
"Earth".
| >> There is a thin layer of air above you for 100 km (65 miles) straight
up
| >> and if you ride up in a balloon to that height you'd see the blackness
of
| >> space. The blue you see in daylight is scattered sunlight. It is
scattered
| >> by dust. At night you will be in the Earth's shadow, and if your view
is
| >> clear (no clouds) you'll see stars. As you turn, you'll see the stars
| >> cross
| >> the sky until you turn toward the Sun. Then it will be dawn, and as you
| >> watch, you'll turn with the Earth and the Sun will appear to rise in
the
| >> sky
| >> and then set in the west, but it is really not moving at all, you are
as
| >> you
| >> ride the Earth. Thus the Sun crossing the sky is RELATIVE motion. There
is
| >> no absolute motion. Go outside and look up until you understand you are
on
| >> merry-go-round called Earth and the universe is standing still while
*you*
| >> are moving. Pick any star, then look where it is every hour of the
night.
| >> Do
| >> this at least once in your life. I've done it many times, as do all
| >> amateur
| >> astronomers. If you get bored, do some night fishing. Be alone with
Nature
| >> for company, for just one night. You may get to like it, I know I do.
Get
| >> away from city lights, get away from people anywhere and enjoy the
| >> universe
| >> you live in the way that people did before there was such a thing as
| >> electricity to spoil the glory of the heavens. I can't do it for you,
only
| >> you can do it for yourself. If you have some impediment that prevents
you,
| >> overcome it. I don't know you or anything about you, I can only suggest
| >> you
| >> learn to live alone for one night without TV, radio or people telling
you
| >> what to do, how to think. Listen to the insects, look at the sky, catch
| >> fish. Do not light a fire, stay in the dark and *see*.
| >>

| >Unfortunately, this is a typical answer that ignores the basic question.
It
| >seems to me that rotation proves that absolute motion exists, and I
| >can't seem to find a coherent explanation otherwise. When something
| >is rotating, objects on it and part of it are forced to the outside by
| >something we typically call 'centrifugal force', a term I'm aware is
| >controversial. When something isn't rotating, objects on that
| >something don't experience that 'force'.
| >
| >Please, if you know of a coherent way of explaining this, point me
| >to it and I'll try to understand it, because I want to understand it.
| >If you're tired of typing, just point me to a link.
| >I and many others realize there are a lot of smart physicists who
| >state there is no absolute motion, and many laymen who are
|

| ###We cannot detect absolute motion###
|
| that's what physicists say.
|
| reread your statement once again:
|
| >state there is no absolute motion
|
| see the difference?
|
| w.

Can't make someone understand what they don't want to understand.

From: Helmut Wabnig hwabnig on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:23:45 -0700 (PDT), GSS
<gurcharn_sandhu(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 12, 9:56�am, "n...(a)bid.nes" <alien8...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> � AFAIK nobody says that rotation is not absolute.
>>
>> � Unaccelerated linear motion is said to be "relative" (nothing to do
>> with Einstein, mind) because you cannot determine your state of linear
>> motion without measuring it with respect to some external reference
>> object.
>>
>> � Accelerated linear motion *is* absolute because you can measure it
>> locally (meaning you don't need any external reference) with any of
>> several types of accelerometer.
>>
>> � Similar for rotational motion; such things as Foucault's pendulum or
>> gyroscopes (physical or optical) measure it easily without any
>> external reference required.
>>
>> � "Absolute" velocity, as usually used, is the alleged velocity of an
>> object with respect to the entire universe; but if such exists,
>> there's no clear way to measure it.
>>
>> � Mark L. Fergerson
>
>It is precisely this "absolute velocity" of the earth which is going
>to be measured with the proposed experiment. If you study the paper,
>you will definitely find a very clear description of a simple way to
>measure it.
>Phys. Essays 23, 442 (2010)
>http://physicsessays.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PHESEM000023000003000442000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=Yes&ref=no
>
>It is indeed very interesting to find how by simple automated
>measurements of two atomic clock readings, we can compute the
>magnitude as well as direction of this absolute velocity of the
>earth.
>
>GSS

The document probably isn't worth the 15.- $$ it costs.

Make it downloadable for free.

w.
From: NoEinstein on
On Jul 10, 6:34 pm, Sam Wormley <sworml...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Sam: You don't understand the real world well enough to dictate to
anyone. It is YOU who should learn. But of course School Teachers
are incapable of doing that. Ha, ha, HA! — NoEinstein —