From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:50:02 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Here's a shot of a violinist from earlier this month. The Orlando
>>> Symphony Orchestra provided some orchestra members for an event for
>>> kids at a local park. The idea was to let the kids try playing
>>> various musical instruments.
>>>
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-17-099/959015269_RtuZN-XL.jpg
>>>
>>> The image has been faked. There was some really ugly background in
>>> the original, so I did some masking and dropped in a cleaner
>>> background with a shot taken the same day.
>>>

>>You seem to have a great eye for people. You really brought out her
>>expression of nervous determination. The adult helping hand takes you
>>capture out of the ordinary.
>> I will not nitpick your background.
>
> Here's another one from that day. This one is not Photoshopped. I
> don't like too many people in the background, but it was a large event
> and it was impossible to shoot without background.
>
> Love the expression on this future Ringo Starr or Keith Moon.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-17-098/959015274_vLZHS-XL.jpg

Love it. His expression certainly shows his enjoyment of the moment.
I would have cropped vertically just above his dad's elbow and horizontally
leaving about 1/2 his dad's left leg in the shot. This would provide some
primary framing for his face. I would also tone down the background colors
and put in a slight Gaussian blur.

--
Peter

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:43:49 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>> Love the expression on this future Ringo Starr or Keith Moon.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-17-098/959015274_vLZHS-XL.jpg
>

>Love it. His expression certainly shows his enjoyment of the moment.
>I would have cropped vertically just above his dad's elbow and horizontally
>leaving about 1/2 his dad's left leg in the shot. This would provide some
>primary framing for his face. I would also tone down the background colors
>and put in a slight Gaussian blur.

The "dad" is the symphony orchestra drummer just as the hand in the
violinist image is the hand of a symphony orchestra violinist. Some
real pros giving kids a chance to play instruments.

I could mess around in Channels and tone down the grass, but I didn't
do anything to this shot except convert it from RAW.

Shots like this either have to be presented as-shot or extensively
worked on. The boy has very fair skin and the man has very dark skin.
To get the right exposure of both faces can be tricky. What I would
do if I wanted this better would be to make two layers as Smart
Objects and then lighten-up the man's face and mask on the other
layer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:43:49 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>Love it. His expression certainly shows his enjoyment of the moment.
>I would have cropped vertically just above his dad's elbow and horizontally
>leaving about 1/2 his dad's left leg in the shot. This would provide some
>primary framing for his face.

Interesting take. There are two ways to present this photo: cropped
as you suggest to feature the child's expression and activity, or
uncropped to show that the child is being tutored by an adult.

I chose the latter because I was at the scene and understand what was
going on. It was the tutoring by an adult of a child that was what I
was capturing.

However, if you weren't on the scene and didn't know this, the child's
face and apparent enjoyment is the interesting aspect and your crop
makes for a more interesting photo.

This kinda points out that the photographer's thought of what he is
capturing can over-ride his instincts on what makes a good finished
photograph. The photographer should really view the image as an
outsider to envision the best portrayal.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 09:43:49 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>Love it. His expression certainly shows his enjoyment of the moment.
>>I would have cropped vertically just above his dad's elbow and
>>horizontally
>>leaving about 1/2 his dad's left leg in the shot. This would provide some
>>primary framing for his face.
>
> Interesting take. There are two ways to present this photo: cropped
> as you suggest to feature the child's expression and activity, or
> uncropped to show that the child is being tutored by an adult.
>
> I chose the latter because I was at the scene and understand what was
> going on. It was the tutoring by an adult of a child that was what I
> was capturing.
>
> However, if you weren't on the scene and didn't know this, the child's
> face and apparent enjoyment is the interesting aspect and your crop
> makes for a more interesting photo.
>
> This kinda points out that the photographer's thought of what he is
> capturing can over-ride his instincts on what makes a good finished
> photograph. The photographer should really view the image as an
> outsider to envision the best portrayal.

Proving once again that various photographers can have different
interpretations of a similar image. Yet neither is right and neither is
wrong.

BTW I hope you are saving one in this series for the "sounds of the season"
SI.

--
Peter

From: Doug McDonald on
On 8/5/2010 8:26 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:50:02 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "tony cooper"<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Here's a shot of a violinist from earlier this month. The Orlando
>>> Symphony Orchestra provided some orchestra members for an event for
>>> kids at a local park. The idea was to let the kids try playing
>>> various musical instruments.
>>>
>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-17-099/959015269_RtuZN-XL.jpg
>>>
>>> The image has been faked. There was some really ugly background in
>>> the original, so I did some masking and dropped in a cleaner
>>> background with a shot taken the same day.
>>>

>> You seem to have a great eye for people. You really brought out her
>> expression of nervous determination. The adult helping hand takes you
>> capture out of the ordinary.
>> I will not nitpick your background.
>
> Here's another one from that day. This one is not Photoshopped.

This is a good candidate for Photoshopping. Even as "journalism".
You could remove all the people except the main 4 with no quibble.
This especially includes the person in the orange shirt which is
all that is showing. And of course the teensy ones in the background.

Doug