From: Superzooms Still Win on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 13:50:42 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>Here's an example of how I determine the need to flop:
>
>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/tractor.jpg
>
>If that original image was the top version, I'd flip it horizontally
>to the bottom version. I want the directional element going
>left-to-right.

p.s. Your reasoning is bass-ackward (duh, like that's any surprise). In a
left to right reading culture, the viewer's eye would continue on, right
off the page and want to go look at something else, seeing something else,
as-in, where's the rest of the sentence or story. Whereas if the direction
of travel in that image was right to left (original image), the viewer's
eye would more likely get trapped into the image, not being able to get
past the tree.

(Anyone other than tony cooper, please take note.)

From: TheRealSteve on

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:53:34 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
<ssw(a)noaddress.org> wrote:

>What I don't understand is how flipping an image left/right is going to
>ever improve an image. If the image has good composition, viewing its
>mirror counterpart will make absolutely no difference at all (except in the

When I was in the newspaper biz, we would sometimes flip images not
due to the composition of the image but for the composition of the
page. For instance, if the image fit better to the left of the story
but the subject is looking left, we might flip it so the subject is
looking at the text of the story. It draws the reader's eye in the
right direction and attaches the story to the picture better than if
the subject was looking the other way.

Steve
From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:03:05 -0400, TheRealSteve <steve(a)example.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:53:34 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
><ssw(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
>

>>What I don't understand is how flipping an image left/right is going to
>>ever improve an image. If the image has good composition, viewing its
>>mirror counterpart will make absolutely no difference at all (except in the
>
>When I was in the newspaper biz, we would sometimes flip images not
>due to the composition of the image but for the composition of the
>page. For instance, if the image fit better to the left of the story
>but the subject is looking left, we might flip it so the subject is
>looking at the text of the story. It draws the reader's eye in the
>right direction and attaches the story to the picture better than if
>the subject was looking the other way.

Yeah, makes sense. I do believe in the "drawing the eye" concept.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"TheRealSteve" <steve(a)example.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:53:34 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
> <ssw(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
>

>>What I don't understand is how flipping an image left/right is going to
>>ever improve an image. If the image has good composition, viewing its
>>mirror counterpart will make absolutely no difference at all (except in
>>the
>
> When I was in the newspaper biz, we would sometimes flip images not
> due to the composition of the image but for the composition of the
> page. For instance, if the image fit better to the left of the story
> but the subject is looking left, we might flip it so the subject is
> looking at the text of the story. It draws the reader's eye in the
> right direction and attaches the story to the picture better than if
> the subject was looking the other way.

At some papers that would be a big no - no. e.g. The NY Times has fired
photographers for doing just that. It may sound harmless and work as an aid
to the story, but they consider it unethical.

--
Peter

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-06 17:49:28 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:03:05 -0400, TheRealSteve <steve(a)example.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:53:34 -0500, Superzooms Still Win
>> <ssw(a)noaddress.org> wrote:
>>

>>> What I don't understand is how flipping an image left/right is going to
>>> ever improve an image. If the image has good composition, viewing its
>>> mirror counterpart will make absolutely no difference at all (except in the
>>
>> When I was in the newspaper biz, we would sometimes flip images not
>> due to the composition of the image but for the composition of the
>> page. For instance, if the image fit better to the left of the story
>> but the subject is looking left, we might flip it so the subject is
>> looking at the text of the story. It draws the reader's eye in the
>> right direction and attaches the story to the picture better than if
>> the subject was looking the other way.
>>
> Yeah, makes sense. I do believe in the "drawing the eye" concept.

....but what if we take a well known subject and just create confusion
by flipping the image to "draw the eye?'
This lady for example, by gazing off to the right, inexplicably becomes
left handed.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/SoL-Flip-A.jpg

or this famous flipped shot which led to a certain Western character
being known, incorrectly as a "left-hand gun."
< http://www.walker47.com/assets/images/articles/art_billykid1.gif >
< http://www.cardcow.com/images/set57/card00192_fr.jpg >

--
Regards,