From: Ben Dover on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:54:09 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>A square crop would work, but not offer much in the way of
>>>improvement. Kinda iffy on square or rectangular on this one.
>>
>>A square composition would not work for this one. I knew that when I shot
>>it. Thanks for showing the whole world how little you know about
>>composition.
>
>Here's a squarish crop of a photograph I shot earlier today of a
>Four-Spotted Pennant dragonfly. Not a perfect square, but not in a
>standard rectangular ratio.
>

>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-28-001a/951118563_YFpsT-XL.jpg

Thanks. I was right. You don't know anything about decent composition.
Typical snapshooter, just center everything and hope it gets some praise
from those with equally poor artistic skills.

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:07:18 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:54:09 -0400, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>A square composition would not work for this one. I knew that when I shot
>>>it. Thanks for showing the whole world how little you know about
>>>composition.
>>
>>Here's a squarish crop of a photograph I shot earlier today of a
>>Four-Spotted Pennant dragonfly. Not a perfect square, but not in a
>>standard rectangular ratio.
>>

>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-28-001a/951118563_YFpsT-XL.jpg
>
>Thanks. I was right. You don't know anything about decent composition.
>Typical snapshooter, just center everything and hope it gets some praise
>from those with equally poor artistic skills.

Your comment sheds a great deal of light on your lack of understanding
of what composition is all about. You see a centered subject.
However, the central points of focus for the viewer are the wing
pairs. Neither of which is in the center of the image. The
positioning of the dragonfly draws the eye from top right to lower
left. Not even the darker mass is centered.

You talk a good game, but that's what it is: all talk. The images
you post - complete with your excuses of deliberate degradation -
belie any thought that you understand composition.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Tim Conway on

"Outing Trolls is FUN!" <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:18:34 -0400, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> More, and more he reminds me of "Buffalo Bill" from "Silence of the
>>> Lambs."
>>>

>>Don't criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in his shoes. By then
>>you'll be a mile away and he'll be barefoot.
>
> Poor conclusion. He wouldn't get two steps away before his life was
> brought
> to an abrupt ending. I've also lived barefoot for three years on a South
> Pacific island. Hiking for hundreds of miles barefoot while living there,
> while also carrying a 70 lb. backpack much of the time. 1 mile walked
> barefoot is not a concern of any kind. One of my fun pastimes was to play
> "mountain-goat" (while barefoot) and try to go everywhere the
> mountain-goats went on the mile-high cliffs just to see if I could. A
> skill
> that came in handy for hunting them for food too.
>
> On the other hand, it IS safe to criticize resident trolls in newsgroups
> that always hijack discussions for their own desperate need for attention
> and their desperate need to belong anywhere.
>
> Thanks for proving again that that is all that you are and will precisely
> ever be, a thread hijacking troll.

Wow, what a fiction writer you are.

From: Ben Dover on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:29:41 -0400, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:07:18 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:54:09 -0400, tony cooper
>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>>Here's a squarish crop of a photograph I shot earlier today of a
>>>Four-Spotted Pennant dragonfly. Not a perfect square, but not in a
>>>standard rectangular ratio.
>>>

>>>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-07-28-001a/951118563_YFpsT-XL.jpg
>>
>>Thanks. I was right. You don't know anything about decent composition.
>>Typical snapshooter, just center everything and hope it gets some praise
>>from those with equally poor artistic skills.
>>
>Your comment sheds a great deal of light on your lack of understanding
>of what composition is all about. You see a centered subject.
>However, the central points of focus for the viewer are the wing
>pairs. Neither of which is in the center of the image. The
>positioning of the dragonfly draws the eye from top right to lower
>left. Not even the darker mass is centered.

You have one huge X sitting smack dab in the center of your image, from
corner to corner, edge to edge. It bores the eyes and mind to tears when
looked at for more than 5 seconds. (The subject wholly unimpressive when I
have so many of those kinds of subjects myself.) The blurred too-shallow
DOF subject can't save that photo and the composition completely ruins
it--the one thing that you might have gotten away with (to partially save
it) if you knew anything at all about composition.

>You talk a good game, but that's what it is: all talk. The images
>you post - complete with your excuses of deliberate degradation -
>belie any thought that you understand composition.

Much of my fortune, upon which I retired at an early age, was from drawing
and painting. I apply those artistic skills to my photography too. You know
not of what you speak. Your example, again, has made that more than
perfectly clear.

Feel free to continue crying about it all you want. As I'm sure you will.

From: Tim Conway on

"Ben Dover" <bdover(a)somewhere.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:29:41 -0400, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:07:18 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
>>wrote:

>>>Thanks. I was right. You don't know anything about decent composition.
>>>Typical snapshooter, just center everything and hope it gets some praise
>>>from those with equally poor artistic skills.
>>>
>>Your comment sheds a great deal of light on your lack of understanding
>>of what composition is all about. You see a centered subject.
>>However, the central points of focus for the viewer are the wing
>>pairs. Neither of which is in the center of the image. The
>>positioning of the dragonfly draws the eye from top right to lower
>>left. Not even the darker mass is centered.
>
> You have one huge X sitting smack dab in the center of your image, from
> corner to corner, edge to edge. It bores the eyes and mind to tears when
> looked at for more than 5 seconds. (The subject wholly unimpressive when I
> have so many of those kinds of subjects myself.) The blurred too-shallow
> DOF subject can't save that photo and the composition completely ruins
> it--the one thing that you might have gotten away with (to partially save
> it) if you knew anything at all about composition.
>

>>You talk a good game, but that's what it is: all talk. The images
>>you post - complete with your excuses of deliberate degradation -
>>belie any thought that you understand composition.
>
> Much of my fortune, upon which I retired at an early age, was from drawing
> and painting. I apply those artistic skills to my photography too. You
> know
> not of what you speak. Your example, again, has made that more than
> perfectly clear.
>
> Feel free to continue crying about it all you want. As I'm sure you will.

Yes indeed! What a fiction writer you are.