From: Bruce on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
wrote:
>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>
>http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg

Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.

From: Ben Dover on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
>wrote:
>>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>>
>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>
>

>Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.

What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
"Angled-winged Butterfly Family").

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>

I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
watching its shadow.

Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

From: Bruce on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:28:10 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover(a)somewhere.org>
>>wrote:
>>>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>>>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>>>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>>>
>>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>
>>

>>Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.
>
>What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
>angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
>"Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>
><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>
>I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
>respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
>play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
>decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
>as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
>watching its shadow.
>
>Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
>it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

Another very nice shot. I love the texture in the bark. I'm not
entirely sure about the composition as I don't know what it was
cropped from, or indeed whether it was cropped at all.

From: DanP on
On Jul 28, 11:28 am, Ben Dover <bdo...(a)somewhere.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdo...(a)somewhere.org>
> >wrote:
> >>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
> >>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
> >>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>
> >><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>
>
> >Beautiful lighting.  A very nice shot.  Thanks for posting.
>
> What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
> angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
> "Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>
> I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
> respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
> play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
> decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
> as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
> watching its shadow.
>
> Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
> it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
Try a square crop on it.

The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
by the shadow too much.

DanP
From: Ben Dover on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:22:41 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 28, 11:28�am, Ben Dover <bdo...(a)somewhere.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Beautiful lighting. �A very nice shot. �Thanks for posting.
>>
>> What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
>> angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
>> "Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>>
>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>>
>> I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
>> respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
>> play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
>> decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
>> as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
>> watching its shadow.
>>
>> Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
>> it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.
>
>First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
>Try a square crop on it.
>
>The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
>by the shadow too much.
>
>DanP

You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.