From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.999.1275845128.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
Monte Milanuk <memilanuk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/6/10 9:46 AM, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> but I prefer to rely on someone else's sysadmin and I
>> really don't want to allow remote connections into my home network.
>
>To each their own... while Panix is fairly relaxed as a shell host, I
>prefer to not have someone else telling me what I can and can't install
>or use, especially when I'm paying. To be honest I can't SSH out from
>work anymore, so the remote connections / static IP is somewhat of a
>moot point.

And that is one reason why Panix is helpful (assuming your work does
simple port blocking and they don't have a formal policy banning SSH):

starfury:~> ssh -p 80 panix1.panix.com
aahz(a)PANIX.COM's Password:

>What I was trying to say was I don't get the point of paying for
>an account on a provider clear across the country simply for the
>sake of getting Usenet access... especially when more and more large
>institutions are shutting theirs down (i.e. the death knoll for usenet
>as others have pointed out). Perhaps it would count for 'geek' points,
>but I'm not too worried about that ;)

Obviously, I don't use Panix only for Usenet, but Usenet is still a large
part of my social life. I have no idea what I'll do when Usenet really
starts dying.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Ben Finney on
rantingrick <rantingrick(a)gmail.com> writes:

> There has been many arguments here for and against Usenet. Personally
> I say the rein of Usenet is coming to its logical conclusion. Dead as
> a clavo! Much better interfaces abound.

So you say. For the interface to be “better” it needs to keep the good
features of the existing interface. I include among the good features of
Usenet:

* No need for creating a new identity; my email address is enough.

* No need for balkanising my identity; messages cross to all
participating Usenet servers.

* Forums are kept distinct, but the easy option to cross-post is there
when appropriate.

* The forums don't live in any single server or organisation, and new
servers in different organisations can be added to carry the load of
distributed messaging, so there is no machine nor organisation acting
as single point of failure.

* A single program allows me to subscribe to one, dozens, hundreds, or
thousands of forums, and use exactly the same interface to participate
two-way in all of them.

* I can replace that single program with any other program that follows
the open standards, and the same messaging interface applies exactly.

Where is the “much better interface” that improves on all of that?

--
\ “If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all |
`\ others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking |
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain on
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:17:39 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+python(a)benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> So you say. For the interface to be “better” it needs to keep the good
> features of the existing interface. I include among the good features of
> Usenet:

That's a great list of features. But they all apply to mailing lists as
well.

> * No need for creating a new identity; my email address is enough.

Obviously true for mailing lists.

> * No need for balkanising my identity; messages cross to all
> participating Usenet servers.

Ditto. Also, good word. I usually use "ghetto" when talking about FB,
MS, etc. Same idea.

> * Forums are kept distinct, but the easy option to cross-post is there
> when appropriate.

Ditto although I'm not sure that this is a feature. Mailing lists
sometimes have options to prevent this which might be a good thing. In
any case, it's nice to be able to choose on a list by list basis.

> * The forums don't live in any single server or organisation, and new
> servers in different organisations can be added to carry the load of
> distributed messaging, so there is no machine nor organisation acting
> as single point of failure.

As with mailing lists but MLs allow even better distribution. With
Usenet the hubs still have to carry every group. With mailing lists
only the servers involved need to carry it. I guess the trade-off with
mailling lists is that you get one point of failure for a particular ML
but distribute the load much better.

> * A single program allows me to subscribe to one, dozens, hundreds, or
> thousands of forums, and use exactly the same interface to participate
> two-way in all of them.

Yes. This is probably my second biggest issue with forums.
Ghettoization (balkanization) is number one.

> * I can replace that single program with any other program that follows
> the open standards, and the same messaging interface applies exactly.

With mail that is also true. In addition, its a program that you
already have if you have email.

> Where is the “much better interface” that improves on all of that?

I have always been a big fan of Usenet. I was using it back when you
could subscribe and almost read every group. For a while I was
a hub and downloaded the entire distribution to my little home
computer. Binaries, what the heck is that? But I just gave it up a long
time ago. Mailing lists just made so much more sense to me. I now run
a number of mailing lists. I can't even run a news server on my own
little ISP any more and have to contract out.

In fact, my biggest complaint with this mailing list is that it
gateways to Usenet. That's where most of the spam on this list comes
from albeit the bulk of that is Google groups which I can easily filter
out.

By the way, what is the generic term for Usenet groups, mailing lists
and forums? They all have a common overall purpose and it seems as if
there should be a word.

Hey, we could all go back to FIDO-Net. :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(a)druid.net> | Democracy is three wolves
From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/07/10 10:45, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:17:39 +1000
> Ben Finney <ben+python(a)benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> So you say. For the interface to be “better” it needs to keep the good
>> features of the existing interface. I include among the good features of
>> Usenet:
>
> That's a great list of features. But they all apply to mailing lists as
> well.

I think Ben Finney was making comparison between Usenet/Mailing-List vs
Forum. The argument basically sums up to Distributed vs. Centralized.

>> Where is the “much better interface” that improves on all of that?
>
> I have always been a big fan of Usenet. I was using it back when you
> could subscribe and almost read every group. For a while I was
> a hub and downloaded the entire distribution to my little home
> computer. Binaries, what the heck is that? But I just gave it up a long
> time ago. Mailing lists just made so much more sense to me. I now run
> a number of mailing lists. I can't even run a news server on my own
> little ISP any more and have to contract out.

My only problem with mailing list is that for large lists, it can easily
overflows my inbox. Having a separate interface (e.g. NNTP) is quite
useful. For large list, I wouldn't be able to read all the posts anyway,
so from time-to-time I'd "Mark Everything as Read", you cannot reliably
do that in your Inbox even with filtering and all that stuffs.
From: Ben Finney on
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(a)druid.net> writes:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:17:39 +1000
> Ben Finney <ben+python(a)benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > So you say. For the interface to be “better” it needs to keep the good
> > features of the existing interface. I include among the good features of
> > Usenet:
>
> That's a great list of features. But they all apply to mailing lists
> as well.

Not quite, though mailing lists certainly have good uses. I agree that
mailing lists share some of the features I listed, but not all. The
points where I disagree are:

> > * No need for creating a new identity; my email address is enough.
>
> Obviously true for mailing lists.

No, since with many mailing lists I must maintain an identity separately
for the specific mailing list: a username + password pair. Sometimes
the username is the email address, which helps; but having to maintain
the identity (or opt out and stupidly use the same password at multiple
sites) is a worse option than Usenet.

So some mailing lists pass, but most fail on this feature.

> > * Forums are kept distinct, but the easy option to cross-post is there
> > when appropriate.
>
> Ditto although I'm not sure that this is a feature.

Having the option is the feature; it's certainly true that the option
should be exercised only sparingly. But it's not something that should
be prevented by default.

> > * The forums don't live in any single server or organisation, and new
> > servers in different organisations can be added to carry the load of
> > distributed messaging, so there is no machine nor organisation acting
> > as single point of failure.
>
> As with mailing lists but MLs allow even better distribution.

Not even remotely true. Mailing list transport and archiving is
generally maintained at a single site. With Usenet forums, these tasks
are distributed between all participating machines, in different nations
and organisations. Archives are not kept indefinitely in all cases, but
in many cases.

So mailing lists fail this feature.

> I guess the trade-off with mailling lists is that you get one point of
> failure for a particular ML but distribute the load much better.

Right. I'm not saying that there aren't trade-offs; I'm addressing only
the claim that “much better interfaces” exist.

> By the way, what is the generic term for Usenet groups, mailing lists
> and forums? They all have a common overall purpose and it seems as if
> there should be a word.

There is a good word: “forum”. That covers any place (even virtual
places) where people congregate to discuss on an agreed topic. Just
because a new kind of forum has appeared, it doesn't have any special
claim to the word. The existing forums are still forums.

--
\ “The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact |
`\ you'll ever have to confront. Don't dare ever see your life as |