From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/05/10 04:19, John Bokma wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>
>> But the really sad thing is that you think that "bigger" automatically
>> equals "better".
>
> I don't think that was the point.
>
> Anyway, not everbody can pick a provider, there are plenty of places
> that have only one or maybe two. And if that's the choice and neither
> carries Usenet you have to pay for Usenet like I do. Note that I
> consider it well worth the 10 euros I pay for it.

Isn't gmane available where you live? I've used gmane for newsgroups
that my local server doesn't carry. The only problem is that there's a
slight delay in opening new posts (0.5 seconds or so).
From: Lie Ryan on
On 06/05/10 05:04, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 6/4/2010 11:27 AM Terry Reedy said...
>> On 6/4/2010 12:28 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
>>
>>> Is there now a non-email method of posting to this list?
>>
>> Google <==> comp.lang.python <==> python-list <==>
>> gmane.comp.python.general
>>
>> where <==> is a bi-directional gateway.
>
> Yes -- I use gmane as well. But, IIRC, I needed to be on the mail list
> in order for my responses to show up because MailMan is the primary back
> end and I thought it's set to only accept posts from members.
>
> Hence, my question. Aren't we all members posting (ultimately)
> exclusively through email regardless of preferred reading interfaces?

No, I don't.

From: John Bokma on
"Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps(a)start.no> writes:

> * John Bokma, on 04.06.2010 20:19:
>> Steven D'Aprano<steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> But the really sad thing is that you think that "bigger" automatically
>>> equals "better".
>>
>> I don't think that was the point.
>>
>> Anyway, not everbody can pick a provider, there are plenty of places
>> that have only one or maybe two. And if that's the choice and neither
>> carries Usenet you have to pay for Usenet like I do. Note that I
>> consider it well worth the 10 euros I pay for it.
>>
>> To me, it looks like the use of Usenet for text is on the
>> decline. I've been away from Usenet for like a year or so and could see
>> quite a difference. More and more ISPs in my experience are dropping
>> Usenet from their services. Mind, I think that the number of users on
>> Usenet (text only) still exceeds the number when I first used Usenet
>> (back in the early 90's). But usage is on the decline as far as I can
>> tell. On top of that I see people I know from Usenet now quite active on
>> Stack Overflow and sister sites.
>>
>> Finally, I have to disagree with your disagreement (which is just a
>> personal experience) based on my personal experience: it's harder to
>> find an ISP that carries Usenet. And I have experience with, oh, just 3
>> countries where I have been living in for the past 10 years.
>
> True.
>
> While Usenet traffic is still exponentially increasing, most of that's
> in binary groups, and it's spam.
>
> I think much of the decline of Usenet is correlated with an increase
> of laws designed to limit free speech and support all kinds
> surveillance.

In my experience, as in people I know who've left Usenet, reasons for
leaving Usenet are:

1) spam, number 1 culprit being Google.
2) newbies who don't care about posting guidelines
3) regulars in their ivory towers

Other reasons:

4) MFA (Made for AdSense) sites that pretend to be a forum but just
harvest all data from Usnet
5) trolls and kooks.

> It started, as I see it, back in the early 90's with
> Playboy attempting to sue anyone who used the Lena picture in photo
> processing tests etc. (it's the standard image for that). They failed
> in that particular endeavour, but did succeed in shutting down
> thousands of sites worldwide displaying Playboy pictures.

I know of the use of Lena. And to be honest, I agree with Playboy that
they have the copyright. Some of the articles published on image
processing end up behind a paywall or in a book. And I don't think the
authors will be very happy if I convert their work in PDFs and offer it
as free download on my site. Everybody wants a free ride until they have
to create and maintain the rides in their own precious time with their
own money.

[...]

> Until some replacement for Usenet appears, online discussion will in
> general be effectively /local/, unknown to all but the parties
> currently using a given web forum, and it will in general not be
> archived.

I like Stackoverflow and its sister sites a lot.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: John Bokma on
Lie Ryan <lie.1296(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/04/10 11:56, John Bokma wrote:
>> Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> writes:

>>> Ah, so you feel up to my "xsl for xmlrunner.py" question?
>>
>> Just jumping in the middle, but if you're looking for a web based forum
>> where you can ask questions, check out Stack Overflow (and sister sites,
>> depending on your question). I've noticed over the last couple of months
>> that often things I google for, are answered on Stack Overflow. One
>> thing that would've been nice to have on Usenet that I like is the
>> ability to vote answers up or down. I think Usenet would've been a bit
>> better with that option.
>
> Probably. A vote up/down feature tend to highlight popular problems, but
> it also buries less popular problems that might have perfectly good
> answers.

Unless I misunderstand, the voting is for the replies, not for the
questions. Or maybe the questions can be promoted to a queue, no
idea. But that's not that different from questions posted to Usenet. The
popular ones are asked often, the less popular ones once in a while, and
might also not result in solutions.

> I think Google Groups have 5-star-rating system? You might want
> to check on that.

Brrrr... no, I really prefer my Usenet via Gnus ;-).

--
John Bokma j3b

From: John Bokma on
Lie Ryan <lie.1296(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On 06/05/10 04:19, John Bokma wrote:
>> Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> But the really sad thing is that you think that "bigger" automatically
>>> equals "better".
>>
>> I don't think that was the point.
>>
>> Anyway, not everbody can pick a provider, there are plenty of places
>> that have only one or maybe two. And if that's the choice and neither
>> carries Usenet you have to pay for Usenet like I do. Note that I
>> consider it well worth the 10 euros I pay for it.
>
> Isn't gmane available where you live? I've used gmane for newsgroups
> that my local server doesn't carry. The only problem is that there's a
> slight delay in opening new posts (0.5 seconds or so).

I am aware of Gmane [1] but in their own words: "Gmane is a mailing list
archive.", so it's not Usenet. It's a Usenet server which provides
access to mailing lists. (A very cool idea).

But I am with Individual.net and IMO very great service for just 10
euro.

[1] http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2005/01/14/gmane-mail-to-news.html

--
John Bokma j3b