From: Ben Finney on
Andreas Waldenburger <usenot(a)geekmail.INVALID> writes:

> But consolidation is the *only* way to go, really. The parallelism
> between c.l.p. and python-list is great already. Now throw some sort
> of Forum in the mix

This already *is* a forum. Whatever it is you think is needed, it's
already a forum. Can you be more specific about what you would add?

--
\ “Are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, Brain, but |
`\ I don't think Kay Ballard's in the union.” —_Pinky and The |
From: Monte Milanuk on
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam <at> whitemice.org> writes:

> > However, whether we like it or not:
> > Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp
>
> So? NNTP is the living dead. Time to let it go.

True. Decent NNTP access is harder to find. Not impossible, but no longer
a 'free' part of most standard ISP access any more. Gmane provides a mail-to-
nntp gateway which is great for those who like to read it via nntp.

> Most people use this list via e-mail, which everyone has access to and
> knows how to use.
>
> The best solution I've seen is what is used by the Mono project; which
> provides both a "web forum" and a mail list interface.

> <http://go-mono.com/forums/>
>
> It works very well; and everyone [except the 3 or 4 NNTP hold outs] are
> happy.

Now that looks pretty slick - both sides get to have what they want, and
the 'pool' of knowledgeable persons stays condensed rather than dispersed.

Very cool.

Monte

From: Phlip on
On Jun 2, 3:18 am, Adam Tauno Williams <awill...(a)whitemice.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> Yuck; no better way to make new users hate your product than have a web
> forum - where they post questions....

Free of all the spam that leaks into here from the remnants of
USENET!!

> and never get answers...

You mean like how I never get answers, to my super-easy GED-level
questions, here??!
From: geremy condra on
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Phlip <phlip2005(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 3:18 am, Adam Tauno Williams <awill...(a)whitemice.org> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Yuck; no better way to make new users hate your product than have a web
>> forum - where they post questions....
>
> Free of all the spam that leaks into here from the remnants of
> USENET!!
>
>> and never get answers...
>
> You mean like how I never get answers, to my super-easy GED-level
> questions, here??!

I agree. This proves conclusively that a web forum is the right
place for you.

Geremy Condra
From: Phlip on
On Jun 3, 3:20 pm, geremy condra <debat...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > You mean like how I never get answers, to my super-easy GED-level
> > questions, here??!
>
> I agree. This proves conclusively that a web forum is the right
> place for you.

Ah, so you feel up to my "xsl for xmlrunner.py" question?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: signed vs unsigned int
Next: Mixing Decimal and float