From: News123 on
pyDev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to let the community know that there is a new web-based
> forum for Python enthusiasts over at PythonForum.org (http://
> pythonforum.org). Web-based forums is a preferred method by Python
> newcomers to get help in exploring the world of Python and programming
> overall. The main goal of PythonForum.org is to popularize Python by
> welcoming all newcomers. Recently the forum got "attacked" with
> questions by users just starting out with Python. I hope here will be
> someone ready to welcome and help newcomers to enter the beautiful
> world of Python.

I fully agree with the feedback, that creating a new forum is not such
an excellent idea. currently the critical mass seems to be here and I
appreciate this a lot.

However, whether we like it or not:
Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp

If you think, that newbies are unlikely to use nntp, then create a
forum, web front end or whatever, which looks very nice and cool, which
will automatically relay messages (forward and backward) to this group.

In my opinion new forums should integrate nntp and not try to replace it.

An nntp gateway on just another server is also not as nice as just
communicating with the existing feeds.

From: Ben Finney on
News123 <news1234(a)free.fr> writes:

> However, whether we like it or not:
> Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp

If so, isn't that an indication that better education about the benefits
is required? Perhaps in combination with improving the tool support for
the NNTP protocol?

> If you think, that newbies are unlikely to use nntp, then create a
> forum, web front end or whatever, which looks very nice and cool,
> which will automatically relay messages (forward and backward) to this
> group.
>
> In my opinion new forums should integrate nntp and not try to replace
> it.

For this purpose, Papercut may be useful:

Open source news server written in Python. Its main objective is to
integrate existing web based message board software, like Phorum
which is supported, with a Usenet front-end.

<URL:http://pessoal.org/papercut/>

--
\ “To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to |
`\ unlearn old falsehoods.” —Robert Anson Heinlein |
From: Adam Tauno Williams on
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 09:52 +0200, News123 wrote:
> > I would like to let the community know that there is a new web-based
> > forum for Python enthusiasts over at PythonForum.org (http://
> > pythonforum.org). Web-based forums is a preferred method by Python
> > newcomers to get help in exploring the world of Python and programming
> > overall. The main goal of PythonForum.org is to popularize Python by
> > welcoming all newcomers. Recently the forum got "attacked" with
> > questions by users just starting out with Python. I hope here will be
> > someone ready to welcome and help newcomers to enter the beautiful
> > world of Python.
> I fully agree with the feedback, that creating a new forum is not such
> an excellent idea. currently the critical mass seems to be here and I
> appreciate this a lot.
> However, whether we like it or not:
> Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp

So? NNTP is the living dead. Time to let it go.

Most people use this list via e-mail, which everyone has access to and
knows how to use.

The best solution I've seen is what is used by the Mono project; which
provides both a "web forum" and a mail list interface.

<http://go-mono.com/forums/>

It works very well; and everyone [except the 3 or 4 NNTP hold outs] are
happy.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

From: Pierre Quentel on
On 3 juin, 10:57, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...(a)benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> News123 <news1...(a)free.fr> writes:
> > However, whether we like it or not:
> > Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp
>
> If so, isn't that an indication that better education about the benefits
> is required? Perhaps in combination with improving the tool support for
> the NNTP protocol?
>
> > If you think, that newbies are unlikely to use nntp, then create a
> > forum, web front end or whatever, which looks very nice and cool,
> > which will automatically relay messages (forward and backward) to this
> > group.
>
> > In my opinion new forums should integrate nntp and not try to replace
> > it.
>
> For this purpose, Papercut may be useful:
>
>     Open source news server written in Python. Its main objective is to
>     integrate existing web based message board software, like Phorum
>     which is supported, with a Usenet front-end.
>
>     <URL:http://pessoal.org/papercut/>
>
> --
>  \     “To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to |
>   `\                   unlearn old falsehoods.” —Robert Anson Heinlein |
> _o__)                                                                  |
> Ben Finney

Hi all,

I agree that it's not efficient to split the community by creating
another forum. But we can't ignore the fact that c.l.p's activity has
been decreasing in the last years :

2000 42971
2001 55265
2002 56774
2003 64521
2004 55929
2005 58864
2006 59664
2007 49105
2008 48722
2009 44111

which certainly doesn't match the popularity of the language itself

So the OP's initiative should be an incentive to think on the format
of the interaction between all the range of Python users, from newbees
to gurus. We are in the 2.0 era, with social networks all over the
place using a pleasant interface, while c.l.p has a rather austere
look and feel, with text only, no way to present code snippets in a
different font / background than discussions, and even an unintuitive
way of entering links...

I'm not saying that pythonforum.org is the best solution but it
certainly looks more attractive than c.l.p. to the new generation of
Python users

- Pierre
From: Martin P. Hellwig on
On 06/03/10 11:16, Pierre Quentel wrote:
<cut>
> I'm not saying that pythonforum.org is the best solution but it
> certainly looks more attractive than c.l.p. to the new generation of
> Python users
>
> - Pierre

On the other hand it might not be so bad that you don't get questions
from users here who are unable to use a nntp reader or news to mail service.

Other 'forums' that specifically target users unaware of their opposable
thumbs certainly have a right of existence, though you wouldn't find me
there.

--
mph
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last