From: Tim Chase on
On 06/03/2010 07:16 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>> Most people use this list via e-mail...
>> Do you know this to be the case, or is that a guess?
>
> Scan through a bunch of threads with show-headers. Watch the User-Agent
> value (set by the senders client). The results become obvious pretty
> quickly.

It can be a bit misleading though -- some UAs allow you to read
both mail & nntp with the same interface (e.g., my Thunderbird
UA). I read via gmane's nntp, but it's a "mail" program. I'd
likely return to reading via email if TB allowed me to kill
threads & sub-threads in email like it does in newsgroups.

-tkc

From: Paul Rudin on
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> writes:

> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 12:35 +0100, Paul Rudin wrote:
>> Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> writes:
>> > Most people use this list via e-mail...
>> Do you know this to be the case, or is that a guess?
>
> Scan through a bunch of threads with show-headers. Watch the User-Agent
> value (set by the senders client). The results become obvious pretty
> quickly.
>
> And it is generally interesting to see the User-Agent mix of a given
> group of users.

So... by that criteria do you count me as email reader or nntp reader?

Gnus fills in the user-agent field just the same in either case.
From: Adam Tauno Williams on
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 13:42 +0100, Paul Rudin wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> writes:
> >> Do you know this to be the case, or is that a guess
> > Scan through a bunch of threads with show-headers. Watch the User-Agent
> > value (set by the senders client). The results become obvious pretty
> > quickly.
> > And it is generally interesting to see the User-Agent mix of a given
> > group of users.
> So... by that criteria do you count me as email reader or nntp reader?

NNTP

> Gnus fills in the user-agent field just the same in either case.

Sure. But Thunderbird, Horde, Squirrel, Google/GMail, Evolution, and
Outlook/OWA are *not* NNTP agents.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam(a)whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-03, News123 <news1234(a)free.fr> wrote:
> pyDev wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to let the community know that there is a new web-based
>> forum for Python enthusiasts over at PythonForum.org (http://
>> pythonforum.org). Web-based forums is a preferred method by Python
>> newcomers to get help in exploring the world of Python and programming
>> overall. The main goal of PythonForum.org is to popularize Python by
>> welcoming all newcomers. Recently the forum got "attacked" with
>> questions by users just starting out with Python. I hope here will be
>> someone ready to welcome and help newcomers to enter the beautiful
>> world of Python.
>>

> I fully agree with the feedback, that creating a new forum is not such
> an excellent idea. currently the critical mass seems to be here and I
> appreciate this a lot.
>
> However, whether we like it or not:
> Fewer and fewer newcomers are willing, knowledgable, aware of nntp
>
> If you think, that newbies are unlikely to use nntp, then create a
> forum, web front end or whatever, which looks very nice and cool, which
> will automatically relay messages (forward and backward) to this group.

You mean like this?

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

> In my opinion new forums should integrate nntp and not try to replace
> it.
>
> An nntp gateway on just another server is also not as nice as just
> communicating with the existing feeds.

I'm don't know what "communicating with the existing feeds" means.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Oh my GOD -- the
at SUN just fell into YANKEE
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-03, Martin P. Hellwig <martin.hellwig(a)dcuktec.org> wrote:
> On 06/03/10 12:46, Michele Simionato wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 12:28 pm, "Martin P. Hellwig"<martin.hell...(a)dcuktec.org>
>> wrote:
>>> On the other hand it might not be so bad that you don't get questions
>>> from users here who are unable to use a nntp reader or news to mail service.
>>
>> I am unable to use a nntp reader or news to mail service. I use the
>> Google Groups interface and I am happy with it.
>
> Good for you, just a shame that quite a bit of the regulars here ignore
> anything that comes from google groups,

It's sad that Google won't clean up its act with respect to
facilitating spamming, but ignore posts from Google Groups has cut the
spam down to almost 0.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! All this time I've
at been VIEWING a RUSSIAN