From: Aahz on
In article <4c09b1f7$0$28659$c3e8da3(a)news.astraweb.com>,
Steven D'Aprano <steve(a)REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>I'm sorry for all you people who don't live in a place with a genuinely
>free market, and instead have to suffer with the lack of competition and
>poor service of a monopoly or duopoly masquerading as a free market. But
>*my* point was that your woes are not universal, and Usenet is alive and
>well. It might be declining, but it's a long, slow decline and, like
>Cobol, it will probably still be around a decade after the cool kids
>declared it dead.

Your position is the same as mine as of about two weeks ago, before
someone sent this to me:

http://news.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html

Now I think that if even a top-tier educational institution isn't
willing to serve as a living museum for a technology it created, maybe
the death of Usenet is closer than I'd like to think. :-(

Sucks because nothing replaces a good netnews client.
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Monte Milanuk on
On 6/5/10 10:11 PM, Aahz wrote:
> In article<mailman.872.1275580208.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
> Monte Milanuk<memilanuk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Decent NNTP access is harder to find. Not impossible, but no longer
>> a 'free' part of most standard ISP access any more.
>
> This seems like a good time to promote my ISP: panix.com

Used to have an account with them... but of less value to someone on
local fiber with an essentially static IP and their own Linux server.

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.994.1275840759.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
Monte Milanuk <memilanuk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/5/10 10:11 PM, Aahz wrote:
>> In article<mailman.872.1275580208.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
>> Monte Milanuk<memilanuk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Decent NNTP access is harder to find. Not impossible, but no longer
>>> a 'free' part of most standard ISP access any more.
>>
>> This seems like a good time to promote my ISP: panix.com
>
>Used to have an account with them... but of less value to someone on
>local fiber with an essentially static IP and their own Linux server.

Less perhaps, but I prefer to rely on someone else's sysadmin and I
really don't want to allow remote connections into my home network.

From: rantingrick on
On Jun 2, 3:04 am, pyDev <einars.stra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to let the community know that there is a new web-based
> forum for Python enthusiasts over at PythonForum.org (http://
> pythonforum.org).

There has been many arguments here for and against Usenet. Personally
I say the rein of Usenet is coming to its logical conclusion. Dead as
a clavo! Much better interfaces abound. But most importantly the
newbies are never aware of Usenet for some time (sadly).

Some would say keeping out the baby noobs is a good thing, i could not
disagree more! I ask of you, what is this group for if not to help the
very noobs you wish to keep out? Without the banner of help the only
flag left to fly is that of a troll fest nation.

I have seen even the most tangential issues linger on and on in
perpetual infantile poop tossing contests that only the following
thirsty orangutan could hold his candle to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBuk91phkI&feature=related

....notice the url on separate line.

Yes the die is cast people, the new generation awaits to claim their
stakes in the footholds of Pythonia. This is the natural course of
things really. But the old timers will linger for some time hashing
and re hashing old war stories that fall on placid ears.

Yes my friends, Rock n Roll is dead, Elvis has left the building,
Johnny's no longer here (or there), and whilst Usenet is not quite yet
dead, it is rapidly approaching putrefaction on the on the grapevine
of history.

From: Monte Milanuk on
On 6/6/10 9:46 AM, Aahz wrote:
> but I prefer to rely on someone else's sysadmin and I
> really don't want to allow remote connections into my home network.

To each their own... while Panix is fairly relaxed as a shell host, I
prefer to not have someone else telling me what I can and can't install
or use, especially when I'm paying. To be honest I can't SSH out from
work anymore, so the remote connections / static IP is somewhat of a
moot point. What I was trying to say was I don't get the point of
paying for an account on a provider clear across the country simply for
the sake of getting Usenet access... especially when more and more large
institutions are shutting theirs down (i.e. the death knoll for usenet
as others have pointed out). Perhaps it would count for 'geek' points,
but I'm not too worried about that ;)

YMMV,

Monte

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: signed vs unsigned int
Next: Mixing Decimal and float