From: Nick on

cjcountess wrote:
> Hey Uncle Al
> I was trying to think of what to say to you after that idiot remark.
> But that's ok. Obviously you are a very educated person with very
> complex theories. That is ok because education and complexity have
> their place. But I do not think that quantum gravity is that complex.
> Wouldn't it be something if quantum gravity turned out to be like
> Einstein and Stephen Hawking said that the ultimate theory might be,
> simple enough that average people and even children can understand?
And
> wouldn't it be something if a simple person, "me" were the one to
> discover it? Your remarks only make me more determined to prove my
> theory. But lets be civil to each other. To be honest with you,
before
> now I have never heard of the thinks that you spoke about. And I
really
> don't think that I have to integrate them into my framework in order
> to prove it. But I will look into them out of respect for the subject
> of physics and the search for truth and you.
>
> cjcountess

Hi cj. Al is upset with Einstein for being right about gravity.
I believe like you do. Ultimate theory is accessible to everyone.
The job of the true authority is only to get you to see for yourself.
After that he is nothing and shouldn't try to be any more.
Thankyou cj!
Mitch -- Light Falls --

From: OsherD on

Nick wrote:

>The job of the true authority is only to get you to see for yourself.
>After that he is nothing and shouldn't try to be any more

These are wise words. However, I would slightly change them to say
that A role of an 'expert' is to get you to see for yourself.
Research people don't necessarily see themselves in any particular
roles toward students or toward less proficient research people except
if the students are undergraduate or graduate students whom they are
teaching or supervising or both. Even in the latter cases, do you
know what graduate students do usually when they are more or less
"successful"? They co-author papers with their supervisor. I'd say
that the job of a researcher is usually regarded by researchers as
publishing period. Anything more that you can get out of them is
"extra", although the public and some graduate students and
undergraduates have the fairy tale that research professors or research
professor-teachers are primarily concerned with teaching.

Osher Doctorow

From: Nick on
Don't complicate my point Osh!

From: OsherD on

Nick wrote:

>Don't complicate my point Osh

OK, Nick! The role of a researcher definitely should not be (but
alas, often is) to complicate.

Osh

From: Nick on
I made my point brilliantly Osh.