From: Dustin Cook on
Anonymous <cripto(a)ecn.org> wrote in news:20100112004139.DD2A01A74C2
@www.ecn.org:

> "Fart Charlie" <fart.charlie(a)yahoo.com> whimpered:
>>James..I noticed you snipped out the link to AV Conparatives site
>

> James pays heed to Vesselin Bontchev, who thinks Andreas Clementi
> isn't qualifed to test anti-malware programs (or even a used Kleenex)
> so he snips links to AV Conparatives tests to protect the public from
> misleading bullshit.

Wasn't AV comparatives bashed a few years ago for the laughable methodology
used? I didn't know anything had changed.. :)

--
.... Those are my thoughts anyways...

From: Leythos on
In article <lhank51pbll27ojoidb59d703k075h2ujd(a)4ax.com>,
fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com says...
> James..I noticed you snipped out the link to AV Comparatives site and
> the text stating that Virus Bulletin awarded Norton security products
> the Gold "Best of 2009' award. Those are NOT credible sources? Out of
> the past 46 quarters that VB has been testing AV products (10+ years
> now) Symantec products TOP all others in detection having passed 45
> out of 46 quarterly tests for the 100% detection of the well-known and
> respected "In the Wild" testing award.

And until last month I was a firm believer in Symantec Corporate Edition
AV products, but, while having the latest and fully operational and
fully updated SEPP on a machine, it was compromised by a drive-by
website attack.

Avira continues to block that attack and testing shows that it's
protecting as well as Symantec Corp Ed AV software in all other areas.

Trust yourself.
From: Billabong on

"Charlie" <fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:33:07 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio
> <nobody(a)dizum.com> wrote:
>

>><fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> OK then..maybe you are right and I'm wrong. Post your sources that
>>> PROVE what you CLAIM is true...dipshit. Bet you can't.
>>
>>The Truth Is Out There For All To See, Kunta Kinte!
>>
>>Go to the sites and click on the links, then breathe deeply through your
>>flared nostrils and smell the bullshit, dipshit!
>
> Thank you for your kind and courteous Usenet post.

Courtesy is contagious.

--
New message: new problems cause new solutions, and vice versa; see if it
affects you?

From: Nomen Nescio on

<fart.charlie(a)yahoo.com> farted:

> May the best FART win.

Who can compete with your flatulent jig fart pipe?

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
>> "Charlie" <fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Symantec products TOP all others in detection having passed 45
>>> out of 46 quarterly tests for the 100% detection of the well-known
>>> and
>>> respected "In the Wild" testing award.
>>
>> Wow! 100% - that *is* good.
>> (you've tipped your hand)
>
> Does VB also allow resubmission of product until you do pass as ICSA
> labs?

I don't know, but I suspect that some form of "cooking" goes on. My
comment above was more about the idea that 100% is not only
theoretically attainable but comfirmed to have been attained - or at
least asserted to have been by our local Norton shill (I guess it is in
his blood).

My point is that there was once a way to compare AV detection capability
on a 'apples to apples' basis. The test set could be managed so that
only viable samples were there. It was easy enough,
non-programmatically, to ensure that a given sample was indeed a virus,
and measure various AVs against this known entity. Even a group of AVs
thrown against a set of such viruses would give meaningful results for
comparison of the AVs used. Now, AVs are expected to cover
non-replicating malware which is harder to show as being a real threat.

More and more the true worth of a scanner lies in how small an aperture
its accompanying modules leave for 0day activity. It isn't even about
how accurate it is at detecting known threats, it's about how quickly
you researchers can react to new instances and get the new definitions
to the scanners. Antivirus comparative testing has become completely
subjective, so all claims become suspect (especially claims of 100%
accurate coverage).

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: AVG with MBAM
Next: AV-Comparatives tests - fact or fiction?