From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>

>> The BULK of these so-called SUBMISSIONS are half-baked / unfinished
>> Virii still in development and not released. Wake up David!!!This site
>> is a workbench for VIRUS AUTHORS!

| Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

He doesn't and of course Malwarebytes' has all the files used.
The files are a subset of two recent malware submissions.

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>

| In this case I was referring to that aspect because David is one of
| those that does not believe that. He has stated to me that a worm *is* a
| virus (which isn't exactly wrong mathematically, and he is not alone in
| believing that). It was his statement that "none were viruses" that made
| me pick the nit.

| I'm with you - a virus always runs as a result of a 'host' program being
| invoked, and a worm runs (and replicates) without the need for a host.

| David apparently feels that a worm is a kind of virus that doesn't
| require an infected host program.

Yes, I still feel that a worm is a type virus due to its ability to self-replicate.

But I also felt that the term "parasite" should be used for slef-replicating MS Office
Macros. They are known as "Macro Viruses".
I feel they are truly parasites as they live only in the MS Office Suite host
applications. It NEVER caught on.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org>
>

> | In this case I was referring to that aspect because David is one of
> | those that does not believe that. He has stated to me that a worm
> *is* a
> | virus (which isn't exactly wrong mathematically, and he is not alone
> in
> | believing that). It was his statement that "none were viruses" that
> made
> | me pick the nit.
>
> | I'm with you - a virus always runs as a result of a 'host' program
> being
> | invoked, and a worm runs (and replicates) without the need for a
> host.
>
> | David apparently feels that a worm is a kind of virus that doesn't
> | require an infected host program.
>

> Yes, I still feel that a worm is a type virus due to its ability to
> self-replicate.

That would be right, the mathematical definition makes no distinction
about any assurances made that a child will indeed get processed
(executed). The only stipulation made is that the copy being written
doesn't stomp on the original symbol set and that the child set will
repeat the process *if* it is processed.

This also means that the grandchild can stomp on the grandparent without
violating the rule.

> But I also felt that the term "parasite" should be used for
> slef-replicating MS Office
> Macros. They are known as "Macro Viruses".
> I feel they are truly parasites as they live only in the MS Office
> Suite host
> applications. It NEVER caught on.

I think that may be because 'parasite' was already defined to mean the
host program was not overwritten and still functions as before - albeit
with an added viral function - the classic parasitic relationship even
in nature.

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

> "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
>> @news.eternal-september.org:
>>
>>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

>>> Although some of the participating vendor's scanners did report
>>> "worm".
>>> Hmmm.
>>>

>> Which isn't actually; a virus. A virus requires a host, a worm does
>> not. An
>> important, distinction often overlooked.
>
> In this case I was referring to that aspect because David is one of
> those that does not believe that. He has stated to me that a worm *is*
> a virus (which isn't exactly wrong mathematically, and he is not alone
> in believing that). It was his statement that "none were viruses" that
> made me pick the nit.
>
> I'm with you - a virus always runs as a result of a 'host' program
> being invoked, and a worm runs (and replicates) without the need for a
> host.

> David apparently feels that a worm is a kind of virus that doesn't
> require an infected host program.

David isn't alone in his viewpoint. A worm is a close relative of the
virus, as they both have replication functions which are intentional.
However, that's about all they have in common. A worm is actually it's
own program, self contained. When it replicates, it copies itself as
other filenames, but still remains, a worm.

--
"Is there anything in Guul Draz that doesn't suck the life out of you?"
- Tarsa, Sea Gate sell-sword.

From: Dustin Cook on

> From: "Dustin Cook" <bughunter.dustin(a)gmail.com>
>

>>> The BULK of these so-called SUBMISSIONS are half-baked / unfinished
>>> Virii still in development and not released. Wake up David!!!This site
>>> is a workbench for VIRUS AUTHORS!
>

>| Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?
>

> He doesn't and of course Malwarebytes' has all the files used.
> The files are a subset of two recent malware submissions.

I know. I was just being funny. :) The guy is obviously a troll. At first,
I wasn't sure; he seemed to have a legitimate gripe; but as soon as the
evidence (and not pc magazine articles) was provided, it went south fast.

--
"Is there anything in Guul Draz that doesn't suck the life out of you?"
- Tarsa, Sea Gate sell-sword.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: AVG with MBAM
Next: AV-Comparatives tests - fact or fiction?