From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Charlie" <fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com>

| On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:52:22 -0600, James Morrow
| <jamesemorrow(a)email.com> wrote:

>>In article <lhank51pbll27ojoidb59d703k075h2ujd(a)4ax.com>,
>>fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com says...
>>> James..I noticed you snipped out the link to AV Comparatives site and
>>> the text stating that Virus Bulletin awarded Norton security products
>>> the Gold "Best of 2009' award. Those are NOT credible sources? Out of
>>> the past 46 quarters that VB has been testing AV products (10+ years
>>> now) Symantec products TOP all others in detection having passed 45
>>> out of 46 quarterly tests for the 100% detection of the well-known and
>>> respected "In the Wild" testing award.

>>> My 'proof' was snipped by YOU to help falsely spin my post as a
>>> "magazine reviews are gospel" soliloquy. Please James be a truthful
>>> soul .because the Usenet archives expose your snipping and spinning
>>> used ineffectively by you to buttress your self-serving and misleading
>>> replies.

>><snip>

>>I quoted in accordance with what I replied to as is accepted practice
>>in Usenet. I have no argument with the AV Comparatives article you
>>cited. Thus I did not quote that.

>>As for the quality of the Norton 2009 it is generally accepted that it
>>was a great improvement over previous bloat crippled Norton products.
>>Detection with Norton has seldom if ever been the problem. Bloat is the
>>problem. With the introduction of Norton 2009 bloat was greatly
>>reduced. It was the most improved AV product of the year. In my opinion
>>it is still not the best AV product but that is my opinion.

>>Your ad hominem attack on Dave is of little interest to anybody in this
>>group. But it does reflect badly on your argument.

| OK James and I now understand your reply's interleaved format.
| Thank you for a spirited discussion.

| Not so sure that my discussion with Dave was an 'attack.'
| I challenged him to substantiate his AV claims and he was unwilling and
| / or unable to do so except for numerous self-exalting (yet unvalidated
| boasts of AV expertise). I presented my claims with verifiable sources.
| I xclearly stated I was not any kind of AV authority. No one need feel
| compelled to agree but I know ethically and morally I made my case
| where Dave did not and was little more thena 'broken record' of claims
| he cannot or will not backup. That's pretty common fare for Usenet when
| someone gets embarrasingly exposed by their own words.

| I think my challenge to Dave served this group a great service and
| bolstered the credibility of my argument. It exposed him as the
| charlatan and faker I believe he showed himself to be

| http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/charlatan

| �noun
| a person who pretends to more knowledge or skill than he or she
| possesses; quack.

| Synonyms:
| impostor, mountebank, fraud, fake, phony.

I guess you skipped over all those VT repots. All new and emerging malware and frankly,
Symantec did very poorly.

Here they are again...

35/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/25d57263149ea9a3cb4f85aef63d19e89cefe94d7f00b98756a443de3536f845-1263261630
31/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/28822aa989c01f9676fa819ee25a6dcd07172502b785a411fe2d3a11bd060940-1263260629
26/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/3863928aa9597770e62af2013ecbf0b0b464dcea30c5981774ea3a77875cd8d5-1263260897
21/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/b5c851c3ef3df79d0d00d72ce17d69371fe763b3e3a7ca4a3758a235879362aa-1263260375
21/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/576f74ec9cb12d89c1b309e3b4f1e369796b83e67156650df410a461f436b480-1263260440
21/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/cd0d1a87ce13691364d0501d7ae1b9ff153581af2383b3295de53d0de9ba4578-1263261353
20/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/030f5efaa409b6c0e05a02c31d38e1beb4a5684075f9013a0ad587ba6981d8ce-1263260422
20/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/da9129aae686a146695a2e29976f0d60aee12107cc2ed466547b26b55db81be8-1263261658
20/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/709619abde9db99f414692e7d6bccbef0608091ac15d5b977b34efcbb6b734b1-1263261788
20/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/57dbb8445e96c021e87c7a4595a88a0dc7619816d8604239aadc249fa2c43873-1263261972
18/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/e2918bd8811e1b4f4b1bddc8b43c2bf9daa4a820d40e982f001a8cb3e4e5d130-1263262050
17/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/097dfc973e4cf665b8e593c653af93aa1c82627a0aef9c89e4d0e23bcf277c96-1263260874
16/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/1906e7d6a38d020c2521a4cf23a11e14a91680fb8941212349ab103abdd0bac7-1263260400
14/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/375fcf0ebb219e3a8a5ce838a18afe5d5503e6c991a07cb35e131bdad588daee-1263260855
14/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/076fa3a8d88c86a199cf102899814459ce0d5925342befc84d10a49a6fbfac7d-1263261810
14/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/7a51475c68f5566ffa3a4192d12a490c788160b43a6bf7abf1a06b209f4fbc94-1263261522
10/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/47df3f85d1e3bb33108151545de66ba2b428d0202f31259ecefd9d32cb0d40b8-1263261614
9/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/3351ff3edf7a6278bdfd0618a0bd0614dfbdbbf04cac55288d51a000992b092f-1263260541
8/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/eaf53c9414feeb0019ec31745f2960903b074971ebccea328ed6a68159d0a56d-1263260584
8/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/dadf397b709e72a5ba0d3ca643f1816c2c50be92e14e99c2f492b007d5de1dd1-1263261540
4/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/98185d41c83f040acc9b098cdd53afa351b0a59798ccfdc8f3c0215bf16f993c-1263261372
4/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/6706959cb25f9b4b08264442d9ebaf429544e568852af50aa44cacbbcc940b7f-1263262015
1/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/a3aa6745989ab00a603b2a44c3ee4b697e05916cf437f1db233b798165c4164e-1263261770

Here's another batch...

14/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/4d672b482bdd701aeede45b478f241d2d72e8eb6818fdb2308e807aa6781ad5f-1263515351

14/40 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/f8071110d0040cfceed2206e71d5624f4ddad21d9c01971fb6032b9af20d8382-1263515365

20/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/2067b5b02a7a99ed7fde143562e4c7b6928bf0582511d179c479aea7db5ab7b6-1263515383

12/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/bd800c327ceb372ed5450fa2a088afac6f8d0f17da0280688c6acb6b2588ec33-1263515408

26/40 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/d5acfb747d90288aa924645881e65eb65d5671969adcd701e96ac46fd8b9afd1-1263515428

10/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/2877512ce913b83ac592a130b374c650b280510ce672fc217d8f3c1db30bd674-1263515446

19/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/6c2bdcbf4e667da816db16a7e98d773db731228a5b6fa460edd52b4b44e31414-1263515479

9/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/c4c9be21b185aeb8b47e6cd663594b5ac3193c3dd37b5ed679c3050daffb122c-1263515505

10/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/78e611a35d0edee6601336c299836518279d7e9e9eac9e417f53e2d97888bd12-1263515763

12/41 - http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/148e13a4bbf4e8c3a467274b08ac10315a2e6ac8c599a9c6d263fac50e5476fb-1263515779

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

Of the 33 files submitted to VT

AntiVir - 24
AVG - 12
Avast - 11
Microsoft - 10
Symantec - 4

--
Dave

From: Charlie on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:00:27 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
>
>Of the 33 files submitted to VT
>
>AntiVir - 24
>AVG - 12
>Avast - 11
>Microsoft - 10
>Symantec - 4

The BULK of these so-called SUBMISSIONS are half-baked / unfinished
Virii still in development and not released. Wake up David!!!This site
is a workbench for VIRUS AUTHORS!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Charlie" <fat.charlie(a)yahoo.com>

| On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:00:27 -0500, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

>>Of the 33 files submitted to VT

>>AntiVir - 24
>>AVG - 12
>>Avast - 11
>>Microsoft - 10
>>Symantec - 4

| The BULK of these so-called SUBMISSIONS are half-baked / unfinished
| Virii still in development and not released. Wake up David!!!This site
| is a workbench for VIRUS AUTHORS!

None were viruses and there is no such terminology as virii.

None are works in development. All were captured in a HoneyPot.

This is not a "site", this is a news group.

As for the Symantec thread you quoted, it asked why Norton/Symantec did NOT show up in a
report in a VT submission. A reply showed that it still is there. All my submissions
showed Symantec. One will also note that some will show a test against 40 vendors while
the majority showed a test against 41 vendors. On occasion if a given sample takes too
long to scan by a given vendor, it is skipped and will not be in the resultant VT report.

As for stating Virus Total has a "shady reputation". That is the fartherest from the
truth. They are Internationally recoognized as having a trusted platform for mult-av
scanning of any given sample and they do indeed distribute ALL samples to participating
vendors.

As for the samples, they were from a HoneyPot. All files are named to their respective
MD5 checksum. Files were chosen semi-randomly to be sent to VT.

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on

> None were viruses ...

Although some of the participating vendor's scanners did report "worm".
Hmmm.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: AVG with MBAM
Next: AV-Comparatives tests - fact or fiction?