From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 25, 3:21 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
> "Uncle Ben" <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 25, 8:50 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> wrote:
>
> > thejohnlreed says...
>
> To add to Daryl's connent:
>
> The "quantity of matter" definition is given in some high school texts
> for students who don't yet know enough physics to comprehend a more
> precise definition.
>
> The better definition is that the mass of a particle is defined on the
> basis of the definition of force, with the result that it is the
> constant quantity m in
>
> F = d/dt { mv/sqrt(1-v*v/c*c) }

> To add to Bomehead's connemt:
> If v = 0, what is the comstamt quamtity m of natter, Napoleon Bomehead?

Dear John,

If we follow your reasoning about the smallest real number greater
than zero, we find that it is your IQ.

Napoleon Bomehead

From: Androcles on

"Uncle Ben" <ben(a)greenba.com> wrote in message
On Jul 25, 3:21 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
> "Uncle Ben" <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 25, 8:50 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> wrote:
>
> > thejohnlreed says...
>
> To add to Daryl's connent:
>
> The "quantity of matter" definition is given in some high school texts
> for students who don't yet know enough physics to comprehend a more
> precise definition.
>
> The better definition is that the mass of a particle is defined on the
> basis of the definition of force, with the result that it is the
> constant quantity m in
>
> F = d/dt { mv/sqrt(1-v*v/c*c) }

> To add to Bomehead's connemt:
> If v = 0, what is the comstamt quamtity m of natter, Napoleon Bomehead?

Dear John,

If we follow your reasoning about the smallest real number greater
than zero, we find that it is your IQ.

Napoleon Bomehead
The better definition is that the mass of a particle is defined on the
basis of the definition of force, with the result that it is zero when
the force is zero, to match your IQ, right, Napoleon?
At least you recognise my IQ is greater than zero.

From: thejohnlreed on
Daryl McCullough
More options Jul 25, 5:50 am
thejohnlreed says...

The reason that "amount of matter" is not quite correct as a
definition
of mass is because the same pieces of matter can have different
masses
depending on the circumstances. For example, an electron and a proton
that are combined into a hydrogen atom will have a smaller mass than
an electron and proton when they are apart. Also, a collection of
photons can together have a mass, even though no single photon has
a nonzero mass.
--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

jr writes>
Thanks for the response Daryl. That's not the question I seek an
answer to. I want a precise word definition for mass that doesn't
reduce to an amount of matter. I say that mass is not an amount of
matter. Mass is the quantitative measure of the conserved (cumulative)
resistance of an amount of matter. This conserved cumulative
resistance is the sum of the resistance of the atoms that make up an
object that we act on. This definition does not apply to particles nor
does it apply to photons. It does not apply to the celestial universe.
The fact that we continue to use mass beyond the frame where it is
conserved shows that we in fact do think that mass is an amount of
matter rather than a conserved (cumulative) resistance of an amount of
matter. Which is the conserved cumulative resistance of a number of
atoms. Thanks again. jr

From: harald on
On Jul 26, 11:07 am, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Daryl McCullough
>  More options Jul 25, 5:50 am
> thejohnlreed says...

> The reason that "amount of matter" is not quite correct as a
> definition
> of mass is because the same pieces of matter can have different
> masses
> depending on the circumstances. For example, an electron and a proton
> that are combined into a hydrogen atom will have a smaller mass than
> an electron and proton when they are apart. Also, a collection of
> photons can together have a mass, even though no single photon has
> a nonzero mass.
> --
> Daryl McCullough
> Ithaca, NY
>
> jr writes>
> Thanks for the response Daryl. That's not the question I seek an
> answer to. I want a precise word definition for mass that doesn't
> reduce to an amount of matter. I say that mass is not an amount of
> matter. Mass is the quantitative measure of the conserved (cumulative)
> resistance of an amount of matter. This conserved cumulative
> resistance is the sum of the resistance of the atoms that make up an
> object that we act on. This definition does not apply to particles nor
> does it apply to photons. It does not apply to the celestial universe.
> The fact that we continue to use mass beyond the frame where it is
> conserved shows that we in fact do think that mass is an amount of
> matter rather than a conserved (cumulative) resistance of an amount of
> matter. Which is the conserved cumulative resistance of a number of
> atoms. Thanks again. jr

You could try the view that mass is a measure of energy content, or E/
c^2.
That even works for photons, see:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/PhysFAQ/ParticleAndNuclear/photon_mass.html

You can literally weigh its mass on a balance, or measure it
indirectly by applying the laws of motion or gravitation.

Harald
From: thejohnlreed on
Uncle Ben
More options Jul 25, 11:30 am
wrote:
> thejohnlreed says...

To add to Daryl's connent:
The "quantity of matter" definition is given in some high school
texts
for students who don't yet know enough physics to comprehend a more
precise definition.

jr writes>
Interesting.

The better definition is that the mass of a particle is defined on
the
basis of the definition of force, with the result that it is the
constant quantity m in
F = d/dt { mv/sqrt(1-v*v/c*c) }

jr writes>
Unfortunately the mass of an object has always been defined on the
basis of the definition of force. I asked for a word definition that
did not reduce to an amount of matter. You provide a mathematical
definition in terms of force.. Which reduces to an amount of matter
that we measure and feel, or weight F=mg.

There are other equivalent definitions. The expression within the
braces {} is defined as the momentum of the particle.

jr writes>
See my response to Daryl. Mass is not conserved wrt particles. So we
switchtomomentum and energy. That you wish to define particles in
terms of mass shows that it is an amount of matter to you. It is the
conserved cumulative resistance of an object composed of atoms. The
cumulative resistance of those atoms.

In earlier times, one defined the "relativitic mass" as rest mass
divided by the sqrt expression above. Nowadays we avoid that term so
as to consider m an invariant constant.

jr writes> My case in point. No longer conserved but an invariant
amount of matter.

Thanks for the reply. These answers are appreciated. Have a good time.
jr