From: PD on
On Jul 24, 11:58 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Or for anyone else that has an answer>
>
> jr wrote>> But if I am incorrect there
>
> > it has nothing to do with my primary focus.
> > Its not the measure of mass in various ways that concerns me. It is
> > the definition of mass that is most important especially because we
> > require no greater accuracy in that definition than "amount of
> > matter".
>
> PD wrote>
> And that is wrong, as I've indicated.
>
> jr writes>
> I have reviewed the responses to my original post, seeking what you
> say you have indicated. I find nothing to support what you claim you
> have indicated. Saying it is wrong is not sufficient. I do not mind
> being wrong having been wrong thousands of times in the past. But just
> saying I am wrong is not enough. Please provide the word definition
> for mass that amounts to something more than an amount of matter. This
> is after all, what Newton provided and Einstein built on. I admit it
> is all I have to reference. Thanks.
> Have a good time.
> johnreed

Mass is a property of a physical object or system. It is sometimes
referred in freshman chemistry textbooks as "the amount of matter",
but then the same textbooks have to recant that in the chapter on
isotopes, where it becomes clear that there is more going on. Newton's
notion of mass is 400 years old and we've learned some interesting
things about matter.

An example is light. Light is not matter. Light comes in energy chunks
called photons. Interestingly, a single photon does not have mass, but
a system of two photons usually DOES.

The true test of this claim that mass is the amount of matter is to
take the same collection of matter (say, the same number of protons,
electrons, and neutrons) and combine them in different ways and see if
it's the same mass every time. You find out pretty easily that just be
rearranging the same matter, you find combinations with different
measurable mass. An example is one molecule of oxygen-16 (16 protons,
16 electrons, 16 neutrons) and one atom of sulfer-16 (16 protons, 16
electrons, 16 neutrons). Or, if you like, any equal number of O2
molecules and sulfer atoms. They will not have the same mass.

PD
From: thejohnlreed on
Mass is a property of a physical object or system.

jr writes> Yes. The property is conserved resistance.

It is sometimes
referred in freshman chemistry textbooks as "the amount of matter",

jr writes>
Recall that I say: Mass is not an amount of matter. Who will agree to
that? I cannot recall ever seeing this as a definition for mass in a
textbook.

but then the same textbooks have to recant that in the chapter on
isotopes, where it becomes clear that there is more going on.

jr writes> More going on than mass being an amount of matter. Now that
is an understatement. However, an isotope has mass. An isotope is a
type of matter. An isotope is a component of an element. An element
can consist of many different isotopes. Each isotope is an atom and
has a resistance. Each therefore has a mass.

Newton's
notion of mass is 400 years old and we've learned some interesting
things about matter.

jr writes> Here you write of Newton's mass as 400 years old, and write
that we have learned more about matter since Newton. You appear to be
referencing matter and mass as a near synonymous interchangeable pair
of words. If your definition for mass was the quantitative measure of
the conserved cumulative resistance of atoms no ambiguity would exist.
Mass is a measure of the resistance of matter.

An example is light.

jr writes> You speak of light as though it is a quantity not dependent
on our sense of vision. Do you mean the quantity we detect
illuminating an object. Or do you mean electromagnetic radiation? The
difference is in the fact that we can see the illuminated object but
we can't see EMR (light?).

Light is not matter. Light comes in energy chunks
called photons.

jr writes> Are the magnitude of these energy chunks calculated in
Planck units? You mean EMR comes in those chunks. What if EMR
(frequencies) were chopped up by the atom according to its rules and
then released by the atom according to its rules? Where would photons
be?

Interestingly, a single photon does not have mass, but
a system of two photons usually DOES.

jr writes> From two nothings come a something. Nice. Energy. Here we
are continuing with the concept of mass, partnered with its least
action consistent cousins, momentum and energy. Where mass is no
longer conserved but we still retain it when dealing with theoretical
partical systems. If we defined mass as the conserved cumulative
resistance of atoms we could avoid this confusion. But we retain mass
in the celestial and the particle realms, where with particles, since
it no longer applies as conserved resistance, it has no other
representation but an un-conserved amount of matter.

The true test of this claim that mass is the amount of matter

jr writes> Again recall that I am saying that mass represents the
conserved resistance of matter. Where that resistance does not apply,
mass can only represent a non-conserved amount of matter.

is to take the same collection of matter (say, the same number of
protons, electrons, and neutrons) and combine them in different ways
and see if it's the same mass every time. You find out pretty easily
that just be rearranging the same matter, you find combinations with
different measurable mass.

jr writes> You are treating protons, electrons and neutrons as though
they are particles that have a conserved resistance. You are also
assuming that an electron maintains its particle integrity inside the
atom. Where we had to apply Boltzman's statistical approach (which
dealt with atoms) to theoretical internal to the atom particle systems
in order to acquire a probability function for the location of an
assumed internal to the atom, orbiting electron. We took our planet
sun systems right down to atomic structure and appropriated a
statistical math to tell us how it could be if it was. And if this
wasn't subjective enough we have proceeded with this approach and
applied it to the entire universe in conjunction with gravity. In both
areas we define the universe according to the limitations of our
senses utilizing the least action consistent mathematics on a least
action consistent stable universe. And the effectiveness of planet
surface object mass in conjunction with the least action consistent
mathematics has prevented us from recognizing the objects on which
mass applies.

An example is one molecule of oxygen-16 (16 protons, 16 electrons, 16
neutrons) and one atom of sulfer-16 (16 protons, 16 electrons, 16
neutrons). Or, if you like, any equal number of O2 molecules and
sulfer atoms. They will not have the same mass.

jr writes>
Whatever small variance in their respective resistance we can still
measure a specific number of atoms in units of conserved mass. When we
set this cumulative resistance of a planet surface object's atoms
equal and opposite to the resistance of the planet's atoms the margin
of error in the number of planet surface object atoms is insignificant
when compared to the number of atoms in the planet.

Have a good time
jr
PD
From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 26, 11:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> surface object mass in conjunction with the least action consistent
> mathematics has prevented us from recognizing the objects on which
> mass applies.
>
> An example is one molecule of oxygen-16 (16 protons, 16 electrons, 16
> neutrons) and one atom of sulfer-16 (16 protons, 16 electrons, 16
> neutrons). Or, if you like, any equal number of O2 molecules and
> sulfer atoms. They will not have the same mass.
>
> jr writes>
> Whatever small variance in their respective resistance we can still
> measure a specific number of atoms in units of conserved mass. When we
> set this cumulative resistance of a planet surface object's atoms
> equal and opposite to the resistance of the planet's atoms the margin
> of error in the number of planet surface object atoms is insignificant
> when compared to the number of atoms in the planet.

You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
conserved resistance. Resistance to what? How is it measured?

Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
anti-particle?
From: Androcles on

"Uncle Ben" <ben(a)greenba.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Whatever small variance in their respective resistance we can still
> measure a specific number of atoms in units of conserved mass. When we
> set this cumulative resistance of a planet surface object's atoms
> equal and opposite to the resistance of the planet's atoms the margin
> of error in the number of planet surface object atoms is insignificant
> when compared to the number of atoms in the planet.
>
> Have a good time
> jr
> PD

You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
conserved resistance. Resistance to what? How is it measured?

Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
anti-particle?

You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
relativistic. Relativistic to what? How is it measured?

Why include "relativistic" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
question? What mass is relativistic in the approach of particle with
particle?

You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
closing speed. Closing to what? How is it measured?

Why include "closing" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
question? What speed is closing in the approach of particle with
particle?

From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 27, 4:53 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
> [...]
>
> You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> conserved resistance. Resistance to what?  How is it measured?
>
> Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
> anti-particle?

> You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> relativistic. Relativistic to what?  How is it measured?
>
> Why include "relativistic" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> question? What mass is relativistic in the approach of particle with
> particle?
>
> You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> closing speed. Closing to what?  How is it measured?
>
> Why include "closing" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> question? What speed is closing in the approach of particle with

John, your replies would be more interesting if you made the effort to
compose them with a little originality. Typically you echo the
language with only a few substitutions, often resulting in nonsense.

You have been told repeatedly the definition of closing speed. You
are apparently incapable of understanding this simple concept. In
Samuel Johnson's words, "Sir, I can give you an argument, but I cannot
give you an uderstanding."

Uncle Ben