From: harald on
On Jul 27, 1:53 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:16 am, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 26, 11:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> > conserved resistance. Resistance to what?  How is it measured?
>
> > Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> > question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
> > anti-particle?
>
> jr writes> Weight is a quantity that we feel. Like force. We lift an
> object and we feel resistance to the force we apply. We say we feel
> its weight.  In order to determine the magnitude of what we
> feel we have to compare that object to another standardized object of
> such and such a resistance (what we feel and call weight) . We use a
> measuring device the simplest of
> which is a two pan balance scale. We place the object in one pan and
> we blance both pans where the items we use to balance the object we
> lifted have graduated magnitude based on some consistent standard.
>
> Balancing the object we lift against a standard object we lift gives
> us a number we can call the weight of an object, which we feel. What
> the balance scale is doing is comparing mass (resistance).

No, the "resistance" of weight depends on where we measure it: 1 kg of
mass has much less weight on the moon. See also my earlier reply for
an existing alternative.

[..]

Harald
From: mpc755 on
On Jul 27, 9:13 am, harald <h...(a)swissonline.ch> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:53 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 27, 1:16 am, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jul 26, 11:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> > > conserved resistance. Resistance to what?  How is it measured?
>
> > > Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> > > question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
> > > anti-particle?
>
> > jr writes> Weight is a quantity that we feel. Like force. We lift an
> > object and we feel resistance to the force we apply. We say we feel
> > its weight.  In order to determine the magnitude of what we
> > feel we have to compare that object to another standardized object of
> > such and such a resistance (what we feel and call weight) . We use a
> > measuring device the simplest of
> > which is a two pan balance scale. We place the object in one pan and
> > we blance both pans where the items we use to balance the object we
> > lifted have graduated magnitude based on some consistent standard.
>
> > Balancing the object we lift against a standard object we lift gives
> > us a number we can call the weight of an object, which we feel. What
> > the balance scale is doing is comparing mass (resistance).
>
> No, the "resistance" of weight depends on where we measure it: 1 kg of
> mass has much less weight on the moon. See also my earlier reply for
> an existing alternative.
>
> [..]
>
> Harald

The matter weighs less on the moon because it displaces less dark
matter. There is less dark matter for the object to displace on the
moon then there is on the surface of the Earth. The mass of an object
is the amount of dark matter the object displaces when the object is
at rest with respect to dark matter which is also at rest.
From: mpc755 on
On Jul 27, 8:43 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > such and such a resistance (what we feel and call weight) . We use a
> > > measuring device the simplest of
> > > which is a two pan balance scale. We place the object in one pan and
> > > we blance both pans where the items we use to balance the object we
> > > lifted have graduated magnitude based on some consistent standard.
>
> > > Balancing the object we lift against a standard object we lift gives
> > > us a number we can call the weight of an object, which we feel. What
> > > the balance scale is doing is comparing mass (resistance). Each pan
> > > has [g]
> > > acting on it to start. As we increase the magnitude in one pan and
> > > then another and so on until a balance is obtained [g] has not been a
> > > part of the action except in terms of what we feel. The magnitude of
> > > [g] has not changed beyond the miniscule change during the up and
> > > down
> > > action of the scale while it is being balanced. The end result on
> > > balance is not a comparison of [mg]. [g] is not being balanced. Each
> > > mass is being balanced. We balance the mass and we feel the weight.
> > > Weight is subjective but the mass is being compared.
>
> > > Consider a pure element. Imagine that we can place one atom at a time
> > > in a pan. We have a standard mass in the other pan. We can place one
> > > atom at a time in the pan until it is balanced against the mass in
> > > the
> > > other pan. When we lift either the pan with atoms or the pan with the
> > > standard mass we feel weight. We feel the combination [mg]. The
> > > balance scale compares the mass (resistance) and we feel the weight.
> > > The balance scale
> > > feels nothing. All it can do is compare the mass (resistance).
> > > Classical atomic mass is conserved.
> > > Mass measure here is a comparison of resistance. Conserved resistance..
> > > Current web address:http://groups.google.com/group/thejohnreed
>
> > > The Fireside Chat paper at the URL above is probably the fastest way
> > > to get a comprehensive handle on my position.
>
> > Mass is the amount of dark matter displaced per volume. Dark matter is
> > displaced by matter. The more massive an object is per volume the less
> > dark matter it contains the more dark matter it displaces. An object
> > not at rest with respect to the dark matter displaces more dark matter
> > then the same object does when at rest with respect to the dark
> > matter.
>
> > The analogy is a bowling ball in a tank of water. A bowling ball at
> > rest with respect to the water displaces a certain amount of water.
> > Now have the bowling ball roll down a ramp through the water. The
> > rolling bowling ball displaces more water than does the stationary
> > bowling ball.
>
> > 'Mainstream' physics mistakes motion with respect to the dark matter
> > for an increase in mass.
>
> Clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter displaced per volume
> of matter at rest with respect to the dark matter.

Clarification of the clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter
displaced per volume of matter at rest with respect to the dark matter
where the dark matter is also at rest.
From: mpc755 on
> [...]
> > dark matter it contains the more dark matter it displaces. An object
> > not at rest with respect to the dark matter displaces more dark matter
> > then the same object does when at rest with respect to the dark
> > matter.
>
> > The analogy is a bowling ball in a tank of water. A bowling ball at
> > rest with respect to the water displaces a certain amount of water.
> > Now have the bowling ball roll down a ramp through the water. The
> > rolling bowling ball displaces more water than does the stationary
> > bowling ball.
>
> > 'Mainstream' physics mistakes motion with respect to the dark matter
> > for an increase in mass.
>
> Clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter displaced per volume
> of matter at rest with respect to the dark matter.

Clarification of the clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter
displaced per volume by matter where the matter and the dark matter
are at rest.
From: PD on
On Jul 27, 6:53 am, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:16 am, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 26, 11:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> > conserved resistance. Resistance to what?  How is it measured?
>
> > Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> > question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
> > anti-particle?
>
> jr writes> Weight is a quantity that we feel. Like force. We lift an
> object and we feel resistance to the force we apply. We say we feel
> its weight.

Three is a difference between mass and weight, and neither of these is
what a scale reads except under certain circumstances.

If you jump off a low stool onto a bathroom scale, the scale
*accurately* reads that the force it is applying is momentarily 380
pounds, even if that is not your accustomed weight.

If you stand on a scale in an elevator and push the down button, the
scale does not read your weight.

Your weight on top of a mountain is different than your weight in a
valley, though your mass is unchanged.