From: PD on
On Jul 26, 10:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Mass is a property of a physical object or system.
>
> jr writes> Yes. The property is conserved resistance.

I don't think this works as a good definition, either. See the two-
photon example I mentioned earlier, where this is no ability
whatsoever to impose an acceleration on this system with an applied
force, but there is nonetheless mass.

>  It is sometimes
> referred in freshman chemistry textbooks as "the amount of matter",
>
> jr writes>
> Recall that I say: Mass is not an amount of matter. Who will agree to
> that? I cannot recall ever seeing this as a definition for mass in a
> textbook.
>
> but then the same textbooks have to recant that in the chapter on
> isotopes, where it becomes clear that there is more going on.
>
> jr writes> More going on than mass being an amount of matter. Now that
> is an understatement. However, an isotope has mass. An isotope is a
> type of matter. An isotope is a component of an element. An element
> can consist of many different isotopes. Each isotope is an atom and
> has a resistance. Each therefore has a mass.

I think you missed my point.

>  Newton's
> notion of mass is 400 years old and we've learned some interesting
> things about matter.
>
> jr writes> Here you write of Newton's mass as 400 years old, and write
> that we have learned more about matter since Newton.  You appear to be
> referencing matter and mass as a near synonymous interchangeable pair
> of words.

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant we've learned a lot about mass since
Newton.

>  If your definition for mass was the quantitative measure of
> the conserved cumulative resistance of atoms no ambiguity would exist.
> Mass is a measure of the resistance of matter.
>
> An example is light.
>
> jr writes> You speak of light as though it is a quantity not dependent
> on our sense of vision. Do you mean the quantity we detect
> illuminating an object. Or do you mean electromagnetic radiation? The
> difference is in the fact that we can see the illuminated object but
> we can't see EMR (light?).

This is wrong. We do not "see" an object directly. We see light
(electromagnetic radiation) emitted or scattered from the object. Our
eyes are sensitive to electromagnetic radiation within a certain range
of frequencies.

John, I'm afraid this is all high school physics stuff, nothing new.

> Light is not matter. Light comes in energy chunks
> called photons.
>
> jr writes> Are the magnitude of these energy chunks calculated in
> Planck units? You mean EMR comes in those chunks. What if EMR
> (frequencies) were chopped up by the atom according to its rules and
> then released by the atom according to its rules? Where would photons
> be?
>
>  Interestingly, a single photon does not have mass, but
> a system of two photons usually DOES.
>
> jr writes> From two nothings come a something. Nice.

Photons are not nothing. But what is important to draw from this is
that mass is not an additive property of objects. If you have object A
with mass mA and object B with mass mB, the mass of a system
containing only A and B will not necessarily be mA+mB.

From: mpc755 on
On Jul 27, 8:43 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > such and such a resistance (what we feel and call weight) . We use a
> > > measuring device the simplest of
> > > which is a two pan balance scale. We place the object in one pan and
> > > we blance both pans where the items we use to balance the object we
> > > lifted have graduated magnitude based on some consistent standard.
>
> > > Balancing the object we lift against a standard object we lift gives
> > > us a number we can call the weight of an object, which we feel. What
> > > the balance scale is doing is comparing mass (resistance). Each pan
> > > has [g]
> > > acting on it to start. As we increase the magnitude in one pan and
> > > then another and so on until a balance is obtained [g] has not been a
> > > part of the action except in terms of what we feel. The magnitude of
> > > [g] has not changed beyond the miniscule change during the up and
> > > down
> > > action of the scale while it is being balanced. The end result on
> > > balance is not a comparison of [mg]. [g] is not being balanced. Each
> > > mass is being balanced. We balance the mass and we feel the weight.
> > > Weight is subjective but the mass is being compared.
>
> > > Consider a pure element. Imagine that we can place one atom at a time
> > > in a pan. We have a standard mass in the other pan. We can place one
> > > atom at a time in the pan until it is balanced against the mass in
> > > the
> > > other pan. When we lift either the pan with atoms or the pan with the
> > > standard mass we feel weight. We feel the combination [mg]. The
> > > balance scale compares the mass (resistance) and we feel the weight.
> > > The balance scale
> > > feels nothing. All it can do is compare the mass (resistance).
> > > Classical atomic mass is conserved.
> > > Mass measure here is a comparison of resistance. Conserved resistance..
> > > Current web address:http://groups.google.com/group/thejohnreed
>
> > > The Fireside Chat paper at the URL above is probably the fastest way
> > > to get a comprehensive handle on my position.
>
> > Mass is the amount of dark matter displaced per volume. Dark matter is
> > displaced by matter. The more massive an object is per volume the less
> > dark matter it contains the more dark matter it displaces. An object
> > not at rest with respect to the dark matter displaces more dark matter
> > then the same object does when at rest with respect to the dark
> > matter.
>
> > The analogy is a bowling ball in a tank of water. A bowling ball at
> > rest with respect to the water displaces a certain amount of water.
> > Now have the bowling ball roll down a ramp through the water. The
> > rolling bowling ball displaces more water than does the stationary
> > bowling ball.
>
> > 'Mainstream' physics mistakes motion with respect to the dark matter
> > for an increase in mass.
>
> Clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter displaced per volume
> of matter at rest with respect to the dark matter.

Clarification of the clarification: Mass is the amount of dark matter
displaced per volume by matter where the matter and the dark matter
are at rest except for the state of the matter and dark matter as
determined by their connections (i.e. the displacement itself).
From: mpc755 on

From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 27, 7:53 am, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:16 am, Uncle Ben <b...(a)greenba.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 26, 11:00 pm, thejohnlreed <thejohnlr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You have not explained in anything I have read what is meant by
> > conserved resistance. Resistance to what?  How is it measured?
>
> > Why include "conserved" in the definition? Isn't that an experimental
> > question? What mass is conserved in the annihilation of particle with
> > anti-particle?
>
> jr writes> Weight is a quantity that we feel. Like force. We lift an
> object and we feel resistance to the force we apply. We say we feel
> its weight.  In order to determine the magnitude of what we
> feel we have to compare that object to another standardized object of
> such and such a resistance (what we feel and call weight) . We use a
> measuring device the simplest of
> which is a two pan balance scale. We place the object in one pan and
> we blance both pans where the items we use to balance the object we
> lifted have graduated magnitude based on some consistent standard.
>
> Balancing the object we lift against a standard object we lift gives
> us a number we can call the weight of an object, which we feel. What
> the balance scale is doing is comparing mass (resistance). Each pan
> has [g]
> acting on it to start. As we increase the magnitude in one pan and
> then another and so on until a balance is obtained [g] has not been a
> part of the action except in terms of what we feel. The magnitude of
> [g] has not changed beyond the miniscule change during the up and
> down
> action of the scale while it is being balanced. The end result on
> balance is not a comparison of [mg]. [g] is not being balanced. Each
> mass is being balanced. We balance the mass and we feel the weight.
> Weight is subjective but the mass is being compared.
>
> Consider a pure element. Imagine that we can place one atom at a time
> in a pan. We have a standard mass in the other pan. We can place one
> atom at a time in the pan until it is balanced against the mass in
> the
> other pan. When we lift either the pan with atoms or the pan with the
> standard mass we feel weight. We feel the combination [mg]. The
> balance scale compares the mass (resistance) and we feel the weight.
> The balance scale
> feels nothing. All it can do is compare the mass (resistance).
> Classical atomic mass is conserved.
> Mass measure here is a comparison of resistance. Conserved resistance.
> Current web address:http://groups.google.com/group/thejohnreed
>
> The Fireside Chat paper at the URL above is probably the fastest way
> to get a comprehensive handle on my position.

Thanks for the explanation. I would never have guessed!

What you call resistance is usually called gravitational force. You
say it is conserved. Conservation is a concept defined with respect to
a process. What process do you have in mind?

Your 'resistance' is not conserved under transport to another planet,
or even transport on the earth between Mt. everest and Death Valley.
It is not even conserved in the chemical reaction between hydrogen and
oxygen.

Mass as usually defined is conserved under transport on earth. It is
definely not conserved under nuclear fission.

I can't find much to recommend in yout new definition.

Uncle Ben
From: Uncle Ben on
On Jul 27, 5:35 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_z> wrote:
> [...]
> language with only a few substitutions, often resulting in nonsense.
>
> You have been told repeatedly the definition of closing speed.  You
> are apparently incapable of understanding this simple concept.  In
> Samuel Johnson's words, "Sir, I can give you an argument, but I cannot
> give you an uderstanding."
>
> Uncle Ben
> Napoleon Bonehead, your assertions are never interesting and are
> always nonsense.
> Tell me, which pair of pointers have the closing speed,
>  http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/closing.gif
> A) red green,
> B) blue red,
> C) green blue,
> D) all the above
> E) none of the above?
> Time to run away without answering, Napoleon Bonehead.- Hide quoted text -

In any of your clever animations pick two points. Measure the velocity
of each. Subtract these velocities. The magnitude of the difference is
the closing speed of the two points you chose.

The concept is most useful when the points are headed for collision.
The closing speed allows one to predict the time to collision, as
between two Concordes, or a torpedo and the hull of a battleship, or a
meteor and the earth.

Still too difficult?