From: Snazz on

I'm really surprised you believe in fairies, but it takes all sorts.

The point is that Canon don't themselves make this driver
available from their own "Support" sources. Getting a Canon
driver from Microsoft is like getting spare parts for a Ford
from General Motors . . . simply nonsense.

Snazz
From: Paul Heslop on
Lon wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> > Lon wrote:
> >>>
> >> Try Microsoft Update. Then install the Canon add-on module if you want
> >> the extra functionality.
> >
> > I am just trying to recall if the canon module thingy doesn't include
> > the drivers. like it just all installs as one.
> >
> Windows 7 includes the driver. The Canon update makes it useful.
>
> Microsoft appears to be trying to expand the WHQL to just about
> everything with signed drivers for devices part of the package.

it might be how I did mine on vista, just downloading the software
from canon.

--
Paul (we break easy)
Stop and Look
From: Jan Alter on

"Snazz" <nospam(a)here.com> wrote in message

> I'm really surprised you believe in fairies, but it takes all sorts.
>
> The point is that Canon don't themselves make this driver
> available from their own "Support" sources. Getting a Canon
> driver from Microsoft is like getting spare parts for a Ford
> from General Motors . . . simply nonsense.
>

> Snazz

With print drivers being included in the OS and not available from the
printer manufacturer is hardly new. With the introduction of XP eight years
ago Epson printer drivers for printers before the XP release were included
and not available from the Epson website for the XP OS. When Apple
introduced OS X ten years ago it also included drivers for HP, Canon, Xerox,
Epson and others. Those drivers were removed from the manufacturer websites
and only available from the OS X installation CD/DVD.
With some printer drivers for the older printers some functionality was
lost when Epson handed over the drivers for those printers to Microsoft.
I'd be interested to know exactly what is now not working with your IP 4000
that you had before since you've installed it on Windows 7. I'm assuming
that since you've done the Windows Update and the printer driver was
installed you also went to the Canon website and downloaded the Windows 7
printer module and installed that as well.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Frank on
Snazz wrote:
> I'm really surprised you believe in fairies, but it takes all sorts.
>
> The point is that Canon don't themselves make this driver
> available from their own "Support" sources. Getting a Canon
> driver from Microsoft is like getting spare parts for a Ford
> from General Motors . . . simply nonsense.

You're confused. Just because drivers for 3rd party hardware/software
are available from the MS update site does not mean they were written by
MS. Fact is, they are provided by the 3rd party who developed the
software or manufactured the hardware. Microsoft does not do drivers for
3rd part stuff.

From: TJ on
Jan Alter wrote:
> "Snazz" <nospam(a)here.com> wrote in message
>> I'm really surprised you believe in fairies, but it takes all sorts.
>>
>> The point is that Canon don't themselves make this driver
>> available from their own "Support" sources. Getting a Canon
>> driver from Microsoft is like getting spare parts for a Ford
>> from General Motors . . . simply nonsense.
>>

>> Snazz
>
> With print drivers being included in the OS and not available from the
> printer manufacturer is hardly new. With the introduction of XP eight years
> ago Epson printer drivers for printers before the XP release were included
> and not available from the Epson website for the XP OS. When Apple
> introduced OS X ten years ago it also included drivers for HP, Canon, Xerox,
> Epson and others. Those drivers were removed from the manufacturer websites
> and only available from the OS X installation CD/DVD.
> With some printer drivers for the older printers some functionality was
> lost when Epson handed over the drivers for those printers to Microsoft.
> I'd be interested to know exactly what is now not working with your IP 4000
> that you had before since you've installed it on Windows 7. I'm assuming
> that since you've done the Windows Update and the printer driver was
> installed you also went to the Canon website and downloaded the Windows 7
> printer module and installed that as well.

It's not just printers, either. I recently installed an old Visioneer
scanner on a Windows 2000 machine. Previously, the scanner had been used
on a Windows 98SE computer. Both times the installation procedure was
followed from the CD supplied with the scanner. The Win98SE driver was
loaded from the CD. With W2K, however, the installation software
directed me to the driver from the W2K files. There was no W2K driver on
the CD itself.

BTW, W2K is the highest Windows that can use this scanner. Visioneer
didn't write drivers for XP, Vista, or W7. It's too bad. It's a nice
scanner.

TJ