From: Arthur Entlich on
I have my doubts that MS would try to interfere with driver availability
for Linux for several reasons. 1) they have gotten in enough trouble
over the years in the past for trying to derail competition and they
can't afford more investigations and fines 2) it would inspire even more
open source backlash from independent sources 3) If one would expect
any one company to be involved in such a plan, HP is about the closest
one gets to MS as a partner.

I suspect the reason you see Linux support of HP peripherals is simply
because they sell a LOT of them, and so there is greater traction to
build drivers for their products. Its just like what products have
viruses built for them... it is the main stream products, greatest hit
for least sweat.

Too bad about Visioneer, they commonly sold inexpensive lines of
scanners and I own a number of them (believe I have 4), all out of
commission due to driver lack.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

From: TJ on
Arthur Entlich wrote:
> I have my doubts that MS would try to interfere with driver availability
> for Linux for several reasons. 1) they have gotten in enough trouble
> over the years in the past for trying to derail competition and they
> can't afford more investigations and fines 2) it would inspire even more
> open source backlash from independent sources 3) If one would expect
> any one company to be involved in such a plan, HP is about the closest
> one gets to MS as a partner.

Could be that it is a rumor that has been repeated often enough to wear
the undeserved mantle of "fact." There's a lot of that going around, and
not just where Microsoft is concerned.

> I suspect the reason you see Linux support of HP peripherals is simply
> because they sell a LOT of them, and so there is greater traction to
> build drivers for their products. Its just like what products have
> viruses built for them... it is the main stream products, greatest hit
> for least sweat.

One of the rumors I was just talking about. This is not the place for a
Windows/Linux security debate, so I will not pursue it beyond saying
that my belief is that there are more viruses and such written for
Windows not so much because it is a bigger target as it has been an
easier one. There is a difference.

> Too bad about Visioneer, they commonly sold inexpensive lines of
> scanners and I own a number of them (believe I have 4), all out of
> commission due to driver lack.

Mine is a OneTouch 7600 USB model. I bought it at Office Max for $20 US
after rebate, something like 9 years ago. It's a good scanner, and still
works fine. It uses something called the E3 chipset, and work on a Linux
driver for it fizzled in early 2003. The Visioneer website only lists
downloads as "Windows 2000 compatible," and nothing for XP and above.
However, in my search for information to refresh my memory I stumbled
across a page in the Windows 7 Compatibility Center that lists it as
compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7, with "no
action required." Apparently, a Windows 7 driver is included in the OS,
though I really have no personal confirmation of this. I seriously doubt
that my aging, six-year-old machine (Athlon XP 1900+ processor, 2GB
DDR266 RAM, nVidia Geforce FX5500 AGP video card) would handle Windows 7
very well - though it feels nice and snappy with Linux.

Perhaps, though, there is a driver for one or more of your Visioneer
scanners embedded somewhere deep in Windows 7.

TJ
From: Arthur Entlich on

TJ wrote:
> Arthur Entlich wrote:

>> I suspect the reason you see Linux support of HP peripherals is simply
>> because they sell a LOT of them, and so there is greater traction to
>> build drivers for their products. Its just like what products have
>> viruses built for them... it is the main stream products, greatest hit
>> for least sweat.
>>
> One of the rumors I was just talking about. This is not the place for a
> Windows/Linux security debate, so I will not pursue it beyond saying
> that my belief is that there are more viruses and such written for
> Windows not so much because it is a bigger target as it has been an
> easier one. There is a difference.

It does appear that Unix (which the Mac OSs are based upon) and Linux
(similarly) are less vulnerable to viruses, but I do also believe that
part of the game is trying to find the best route of epidemic and that
means finding the largest subject pool that is vulnerable. Since MS
windows still owns about 90% of the market worldwide, that does make it
a handsome target.

>> Too bad about Visioneer, they commonly sold inexpensive lines of
>> scanners and I own a number of them (believe I have 4), all out of
>> commission due to driver lack.
>>
> Mine is a OneTouch 7600 USB model. I bought it at Office Max for $20 US
> after rebate, something like 9 years ago. It's a good scanner, and still
> works fine. It uses something called the E3 chipset, and work on a Linux
> driver for it fizzled in early 2003. The Visioneer website only lists
> downloads as "Windows 2000 compatible," and nothing for XP and above.
> However, in my search for information to refresh my memory I stumbled
> across a page in the Windows 7 Compatibility Center that lists it as
> compatible with both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7, with "no
> action required." Apparently, a Windows 7 driver is included in the OS,
> though I really have no personal confirmation of this. I seriously doubt
> that my aging, six-year-old machine (Athlon XP 1900+ processor, 2GB
> DDR266 RAM, nVidia Geforce FX5500 AGP video card) would handle Windows 7
> very well - though it feels nice and snappy with Linux.

Yes, my scanners wee also dirt cheap after rebates, also. The Q.C. was
not great and some were ill-converged, and they kept on replacing them
and telling me to keep the old one (shows you how much they were
actually worth).

In regard to Win 7 and your 6 year old machine... it should actually run
on it. Win 7 (32 bit) requires basically a 1 Gig processor or higher, 1
gig memory or more, and the graphics card may require you shut down the
most graphic intensive elements. Win 7 did try to make things as
inclusive as possible. It is a lot more forgiving than Vista was. I
won;t say it will be "snappy" under it, but almost all netbooks with
Atom processors and 1 gig of memory will run full versions of Win 7
reasonably well.

> Perhaps, though, there is a driver for one or more of your Visioneer
> scanners embedded somewhere deep in Windows 7.

I'll eventually take a look. I am putting a Win 7 machine together
which is of similar vintage to yours, which I want to run dual boot for
XP and Win 7.

Art

From: Brian Rumary on
In article <TJP2n.5142$%P5.3621(a)newsfe21.iad>, Arthur Entlich wrote:
> An example is Bob Hamrick's Vue Scan which is a 3rd party product for
> sale, which somehow got around a lot of the proprietary SCSI and other
> interface issues.
>
> I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is with that product today.

See the Vuescan website at: www.hamrick.com

Brian Rumary, UK