From: Dono. on
On Jul 25, 2:05 pm, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:

> Btw, this expression seems to give a "blue-shift" for a fast-rotating green
> laser (since I find that the 532nm reduces towards the blue to 520nm for my
> case), but I understand that the term "redshift" may be used generically for
> both cases, blue-shift and red-shift.

"red-shift" is meant to mean "observed frequency < emitted frequency"

From: Tony M on
I was also thinking about the relativistic Doppler shift lately.
Two observers A and B are heading towards each other at relative speed
c/2. Observer A shoots a laser beam of frequency fA (as measured by A)
towards observer B where it is received at frequency fB (as measured
by B). What fB does B measure? What should fB be from observer A’s
perspective? Will the two observers agree on the value of fB?
The way I see it:
From A’s perspective B is heading towards him at c/2 so fA is Doppler
blue-shifted. B’s clock is slower so there’s an additional
relativistic blue-shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 x gamma.
From B’s perspective A is heading towards him at c/2. A’s clock is
slower so fA first gets a relativistic red-shift then a Doppler blue-
shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 / gamma.
So A and B would disagree on the value of fB, if I’m analyzing the
problem right.
From: Androcles on

"Tony M" <marcuac(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
I was also thinking about the relativistic Doppler shift lately.
Two observers A and B are heading towards each other at relative speed
c/2. Observer A shoots a laser beam of frequency fA (as measured by A)
towards observer B where it is received at frequency fB (as measured
by B). What fB does B measure? What should fB be from observer A�s
perspective? Will the two observers agree on the value of fB?
The way I see it:
From A�s perspective B is heading towards him at c/2 so fA is Doppler
blue-shifted. B�s clock is slower so there�s an additional
relativistic blue-shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 x gamma.
From B�s perspective A is heading towards him at c/2. A�s clock is
slower so fA first gets a relativistic red-shift then a Doppler blue-
shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 / gamma.
So A and B would disagree on the value of fB, if I�m analyzing the
problem right.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
� 4. Physical Meaning of the Equations Obtained in Respect to Moving Rigid
Bodies and Moving Clocks

"For velocities greater than that of light our deliberations become
meaningless; we shall, however, find in what follows, that the velocity of
light in our theory plays the part, physically, of an infinitely great
velocity." -- Einstein.

You forgot to play the part, physically, of an infinitely stupid
relativistic clown.

From: dlzc on
Dear Tony M:

On Jul 26, 12:11 pm, Tony M <marc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was also thinking about the relativistic
> Doppler shift lately. Two observers A and B
> are heading towards each other at relative
> speed c/2. Observer A shoots a laser beam of
> frequency fA (as measured by A) towards
> observer B where it is received at frequency
> fB (as measured by B). What fB does B measure?
> What should fB be from observer A’s
> perspective? Will the two observers agree on
> the value of fB?
> The way I see it:
> From A’s perspective B is heading towards him
> at c/2 so fA is Doppler blue-shifted. B’s clock
> is slower so there’s an additional relativistic
> blue-shift.

*red* shift.

> B should measure fB = fA x 2 x gamma.

No, probably not.

> From B’s perspective A is heading towards him
> at c/2. A’s clock is slower so fA first gets a
> relativistic red-shift then a Doppler blue-
> shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 / gamma.
> So A and B would disagree on the value of fB,
> if I’m analyzing the problem right.

Just in case you are intersted, Stephen Speicher did a nice little
derivation / analysis you might find helpful to your cogitations...

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/d0bcbd1d158a4a16

David A. Smith
From: harald on
On Jul 26, 9:11 pm, Tony M <marc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was also thinking about the relativistic Doppler shift lately.
> Two observers A and B are heading towards each other at
> relative speed c/2.

That's a bit ambiguous; I'll assume you to mean that they measure each
other's speed as c/2.

> Observer A shoots a laser beam of frequency fA (as measured by A)
> towards observer B where it is received at frequency fB (as
> measured by B). What fB does B measure?
> What should fB be from observer A’s perspective?

http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
Section 7:

f'/f = gamma*(1 - v/c) or f'/f = sqr[(1-v/c)/(1+v/c)]
With v apparently taken positive for receding.

Or, with v taken positive for approaching (more standard):

fB/fA = sqr[(1+v/c)/(1-v/c)]

This is composed of time dilation and true (classical) Doppler.
Sanity check:
1. Doppler: fB/fA = 1+v/c for A in rest. Ok.
2. time dilation: fB/fA = gamma for A in rest. Ok.

> Will the two observers agree on the value of fB?

Of course - the value fB is a fact of measurement.

> The way I see it:

I can't follow your reasoning at all.

With B taken "in rest":

1. Doppler: fB/fA = 1/(1-v/c)
2. Time dilation: fB/fA = 1/gamma = sqr(1-v^2/c^2)

Combined effect:
fB/fA = sqr(1-v^2/c^2) / (1-v/c)
fB/fA = sqr[(1-v/c)(1+v/c)]/ (1-v/c)
or,