From: I.N. Galidakis on
Does anyone know if there's any relativistic Doppler shift on a rotating source
of EM radiation, at a distance where the linear velocity becomes close to c?

In other words, if I rotate a 532 nm laser beam with a given angular frequency
omega, what would be the Doppler shift for an observer at radius ~r, where
omega*r=c?

Thanks,
--
I.
From: Androcles on

"I.N. Galidakis" <morpheus(a)olympus.mons> wrote in message
| Does anyone know if there's any relativistic Doppler shift on a rotating
source
| of EM radiation, at a distance where the linear velocity becomes close to
c?

| In other words, if I rotate a 532 nm laser beam with a given angular
frequency
| omega, what would be the Doppler shift for an observer at radius ~r, where
| omega*r=c?
|
| Thanks,
| --
| I.

I know.
I also know you are attempting to exceed c and start a debate; you can't
succeed, idiot Einstein's 1/sqrt((c+v) * (c-v) /c^2) had to have a c+v to
begin with, so go back to sleep on your mountain, morpheus van Winkle.

From: dlzc on
Dear I.N. Galidakis:

On Jul 24, 8:11 am, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's any relativistic
> Doppler shift on a rotating source of EM
> radiation, at a distance where the linear
> velocity becomes close to c?

We cannot get an object to rotate anywhere near even 0.1c. The
binding forces are not enough to hold it together.

We can "crash" a laser beam headon into a high speed electron stream,
and the laser photons end up with energies of up to gamma^2 (with
gamma being for the electron's in the stream).

> In other words, if I rotate a 532 nm laser
> beam with a given angular frequency omega,
> what would be the Doppler shift for an
> observer at radius ~r, where omega*r=c?

You'd have a redshifting of the light source, due to time dilation,
then you'd have whatever classical Doppler effect you'd see based on
the relative motion. Similar to an SR-only problem, only with the
time dilation being more complex due to acceleration.

David A. Smith
From: I.N. Galidakis on
dlzc wrote:
> Dear I.N. Galidakis:
[snip]

>> In other words, if I rotate a 532 nm laser
>> beam with a given angular frequency omega,
>> what would be the Doppler shift for an
>> observer at radius ~r, where omega*r=c?
>
> You'd have a redshifting of the light source, due to time dilation,
> then you'd have whatever classical Doppler effect you'd see based on
> the relative motion. Similar to an SR-only problem, only with the
> time dilation being more complex due to acceleration.

Thanks. The time dilation I was able to calculate, but I cannot seem to see why
I'd get a red/blue-shift (relativistic or not).

The way I understand it, the _linear_ velocity at the tip of the beam (at
distance r) is perpendicular to the tip's orbit (circle of radius r), so I
cannot see how it contributes to a Doppler shift for an observer that gets hit
by the beam head on.

Any help? I need the actual calcs for the red/blue-shift for an observer that
gets hit by the beam once for every period of the rotation.

Thanks again,

--
I.

From: dlzc on
Dear I.N. Galidakis:

On Jul 24, 9:58 am, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
> dlzc wrote:
> > Dear I.N. Galidakis:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> In other words, if I rotate a 532 nm laser
> >> beam with a given angular frequency omega,
> >> what would be the Doppler shift for an
> >> observer at radius ~r, where omega*r=c?
>
> > You'd have a redshifting of the light source,
> > due to time dilation, then you'd have whatever
> > classical Doppler effect you'd see based on
> > the relative motion.  Similar to an SR-only
> > problem, only with the time dilation being
> > more complex due to acceleration.
>
> Thanks. The time dilation I was able to
> calculate, but I cannot seem to see why
> I'd get a red/blue-shift (relativistic or not).
>
> The way I understand it, the _linear_ velocity
> at the tip of the beam (at distance r) is
> perpendicular to the tip's orbit (circle of
> radius r), so I cannot see how it contributes
> to a Doppler shift for an observer that gets hit
> by the beam head on.

How do you *not* see a case for classical Doppler shift? It works for
cars at much less than c... even though that is a two-way trip.

> Any help? I need the actual calcs for the
> red/blue-shift for an observer that gets hit by
> the beam once for every period of the rotation.

Sorry, I just don't see where you'd have a problem here. Not sure if
you are looking at light as particles, or light as a wave, or how
you'd like to treat it.

David A. Smith