From: I.N. Galidakis on
Dono. wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2:05 pm, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
>>
>> Btw, this expression seems to give a "blue-shift" for a fast-rotating green
>> laser (since I find that the 532nm reduces towards the blue to 520nm for my
>> case), but I understand that the term "redshift" may be used generically for
>> both cases, blue-shift and red-shift.
>>

> "red-shift" is meant to mean "observed frequency < emitted frequency"

Yes, sorry, I think I've got them mixed up.

If f_o=f_s/gamma, then as f=c/lambda, this gives:

lambda_o=lambda_s*gamma, so if I plug in 532 nanometers, I get:

lambda_o=533.66nm

So this seems like "observed wavelength > emitted wavelength", which is the same
as "observed frequency < emitted frequency".

Is this a red-shift?

I'd expect the rotating laser beam to have given me a blue-shift instead.
--
I.

From: Dono. on
On Jul 27, 6:16 am, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
> Dono. wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 2:05 pm, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
>
> >> Btw, this expression seems to give a "blue-shift" for a fast-rotating green
> >> laser (since I find that the 532nm reduces towards the blue to 520nm for my
> >> case), but I understand that the term "redshift" may be used generically for
> >> both cases, blue-shift and red-shift.
>
> > "red-shift" is meant to mean "observed frequency < emitted frequency"
>
> Yes, sorry, I think I've got them mixed up.
>
> If f_o=f_s/gamma, then as f=c/lambda, this gives:
>
> lambda_o=lambda_s*gamma, so if I plug in 532 nanometers, I get:
>
> lambda_o=533.66nm
>
> So this seems like "observed wavelength > emitted wavelength", which is the same
> as "observed frequency < emitted frequency".
>
> Is this a red-shift?

Yes.

From: Dono. on
On Jul 26, 12:11 pm, Tony M <marc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was also thinking about the relativistic Doppler shift lately.
> Two observers A and B are heading towards each other at relative speed
> c/2. Observer A shoots a laser beam of frequency fA (as measured by A)
> towards observer B where it is received at frequency fB (as measured
> by B). What fB does B measure? What should fB be from observer A’s
> perspective? Will the two observers agree on the value of fB?
> The way I see it:
> From A’s perspective B is heading towards him at c/2 so fA is Doppler
> blue-shifted. B’s clock is slower so there’s an additional
> relativistic blue-shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 x gamma.
> From B’s perspective A is heading towards him at c/2. A’s clock is
> slower so fA first gets a relativistic red-shift then a Doppler blue-
> shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 / gamma.
> So A and B would disagree on the value of fB, if I’m analyzing the
> problem right.

fB/fA=fA/fB=sqrt[(1+v/c)/(1-v/c)]

In your case v=c/2 so

fB/fA=fA/fB=sqrt(3)
From: BURT on
On Jul 27, 6:55 am, "Dono." <sa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 6:16 am, "I.N. Galidakis" <morph...(a)olympus.mons> wrote:
>

> > Dono. wrote:

> > > "red-shift" is meant to mean "observed frequency < emitted frequency"
>
> > Yes, sorry, I think I've got them mixed up.
>
> > If f_o=f_s/gamma, then as f=c/lambda, this gives:
>
> > lambda_o=lambda_s*gamma, so if I plug in 532 nanometers, I get:
>
> > lambda_o=533.66nm
>
> > So this seems like "observed wavelength > emitted wavelength", which is the same
> > as "observed frequency < emitted frequency".
>
> > Is this a red-shift?
>
> Yes.- Hide quoted text -

Turn flow rate or anti gravity drives up light energy by gamma at
absorption from every angle.

Mitch Raemsch
From: Tony M on
On Jul 27, 9:58 am, "Dono." <sa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 12:11 pm, Tony M <marc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was also thinking about the relativistic Doppler shift lately.
> > Two observers A and B are heading towards each other at relative speed
> > c/2. Observer A shoots a laser beam of frequency fA (as measured by A)
> > towards observer B where it is received at frequency fB (as measured
> > by B). What fB does B measure? What should fB be from observer A’s
> > perspective? Will the two observers agree on the value of fB?
> > The way I see it:
> > From A’s perspective B is heading towards him at c/2 so fA is Doppler
> > blue-shifted. B’s clock is slower so there’s an additional
> > relativistic blue-shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 x gamma.
> > From B’s perspective A is heading towards him at c/2. A’s clock is
> > slower so fA first gets a relativistic red-shift then a Doppler blue-
> > shift. B should measure fB = fA x 2 / gamma.
> > So A and B would disagree on the value of fB, if I’m analyzing the
> > problem right.
>
> fB/fA=fA/fB=sqrt[(1+v/c)/(1-v/c)]
>
> In your case v=c/2 so
>
> fB/fA=fA/fB=sqrt(3)

Dono,

Math-wise fB/fA=fA/fB only holds when fA=fB.
fB/fA=sqrt(3) means fB>fA
fA/fB=sqrt(3) means fA>fB
They can't both be true.