From: Annie on

On 2005-09-12 Randy Hyde said:

> Betov wrote:
>
> > Shut up,
>
> Telling me to shut up isn't going to do the trick. You've been told
> many times how to get me to leave you and your product alone. It's
> quite simple, really. All you have to do is stop insulting HLA
> users, HLA, MASM, and other products and people around here.
> Concentrate on your own product rather than everyone else's. Start
> behaving in a civil manner. And I will quickly forget that you and
> your product even exist.
_____
Holy NetKKKop, 'Professor!' ((( `\
Hehe! _ _`\ )
(^ ) )
~-( )
_'((,,,)))
,-' \_/ `\
( , |
`-.-'`-.-'/|_|
\ / | |
=()=: / ,' aa

From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Paul Dunn wrote:
> Betov wrote:
>
> [Some stuff that's not really relevant]
>
> Betov, did you not read my last question? I'm interested in your definition
> of "emulation", so I understand what you mean by it. I don't think it's the
> same definition that I use.
>
> Can you explain?

I think I can explain it for you. Given Rene's recent attempts at
explaining his algorithms, I doubt his explanation will be
satisfactory. However, note that my explanation is based on what I
understand his explanations to say, I've not bothered wasting any time
trying to read his source code (see Alex's discussions for the problem
with that approach).

What Rene is doing is making multiple passes over some encoded
representation of his source code rather than multiple passes over the
source code itself. He believes this technique to be unique (because he
thought it up all by himself, I suppose). I guess that he's unaware
that this is how modern compilers all work.

Bottom line, though, is that he does make multiple passes (the correct
phrase is "multi-phase") over each of the conditional jump instructions
in order to shorten them down. His code is a bit immature and doesn't
do as good a job as assemblers such as Gas or MASM (which I've compared
his code to, I suspect FASM does a better job too, though I've not
tried this); worse, he only handles conditional jumps and doesn't
optimize unconditional jumps or other instructions whose size is
affected by the distance between labels in the code.

Fixing the problem with conditional jumps that I've described in an
earlier post is probably an easy fix. It probably won't take Rene more
than a couple of hours (if he hasn't fixed this already). OTOH,
allowing for other instructions than condition jumps sounds like a
whopper of a design defect, and unless he's lucky this fix could take a
lot more effort.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: Betov on
"anonymous" <wrigley(a)tuknet.dk> ýcrivait

> Doesn't all that anger cause you constipation? If you re-thought your
> vocabulary you could save a lot of effort, and you and anyone reading
> what you write would inevitably become happier in some/every way. For
> instance, the above could have been expressed something like this:
>
> "I generally disagree with you, so please do not make negative
> comments to what I write, as this will not make me change the features
> anyway.
>
> "As long as it can be proven that RosAsm is without those faults, that
> you claim it has, I shall not fix them, afterall you can't fix
> non-existing bugs.
>
> "Feel free to do other more constructive things with your time"
>
> This was merely a sample, naturally you would want to add your own
> unique style to it. Have a go! Once you get started posting happier
> posts, you won't be able to stop.

:))

In real life, i would much prefer knocking on the face
of such an ####, with my hands of old home maker. This
would be way faster, and would make me way more happier.

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Richard Cooper on
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:15:09 -0400, Betov <betov(a)free.fr> wrote:

> There is only a nobody attacking RosAsm.

Perhaps, but reading Randy's post, I found many reasons I wouldn't want to
use RosAsm.

Now if he'd just write a similar post for all of the other assemblers then
it'd be a lot easier for me to decide which ones I'd like to have a closer
look at.
From: Guga on
And this is a problem, because ....... ?

Randalk said so, i presume ;)

I strongly advice you to stick in HLA then. If you take Randall´s
advices serious, you really should use his product, either it is not
considered an assembler. (not only by me)

Best Regards,

Guga