From: Annie on

On 2005-09-18 spamandviruses(a)xersedefixion.com said:

> Betov wrote:
>
> > There is only a nobody attacking RosAsm.
>
> Perhaps, but reading Randy's post, I found many reasons I
> wouldn't want to use RosAsm.
>
> Now if he'd just write a similar post for all of the other
> assemblers then it'd be a lot easier for me to decide which
> ones I'd like to have a closer look at.
_____
The problem with this scenario ((( `\
is that it assumes Randy is some _ _`\ )
kind of ultimate "authority"... (^ ) )
which, as we all know, can be a ~-( )
highly questionable assumption. _'((,,,)))
Remember, we're talking about ,-' \_/ `\
the guy who wrote HLA. Hehe! ( , |
`-.-'`-.-'/|_|
Truth is, many of Hyde's criti- \ / | |
cisms of RosASM are matters of =()=: / ,' aa
personal style or preference.
Betov sometimes deviates from the bureaucratized
'traditional' way of doing things in his coding
of RosASM. This, in itself, is not necessarily a
valid basis for criticism...since RosASM *does*
generate perfectly functional WinDoze apps.

Randy's criticism of RosASM's functionality con-
cerns, in large part, matters of a highly esoteric
technical nature. Despite what Randy says, not one
programmer in a million would ever experience any
problems using RosASM to write an application. And
once a programmer becomes totally familiar with the
RosASM style of programming, he'd literally NEVER
experience a problem.

Every assembler has its own little eccentricities
which a programmer must become accustomed to. If
someone were to delineate for you all of the glitches
and hacks in MA$M, you'd be scared to use MA$M, as
well. Hehehe!

The bottom line is: don't take Hyde's assessment of
RosASM as gospel. Randy has his own ax to grind,
both personally and professionally, and it can color
his critique of other people's work.

RosASM is free, for #%@& sake. So download that sucker,
try it out for YOURSELF, and make your OWN decision
about it.

Don't be a stereotypical WinDoze weenie, and unques-
tioning accept what someone else TELLS you.

You know what happens to lemmings who blindly follow a
'leader,' don't you? Hehe!

---
"HLA.EXE is not an assembler. Indeed, it's not even a compiler,
pre-processor (or "preparser", whatever that is), though it
*might* qualify as [a] 'text converter.'"
- Randy Hyde, author of 'HLA,'
in ALT.LANG.ASM newsgroup --
August 11, 2004

From: Richard Cooper on
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:26:57 -0400, Annie <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> If someone were to delineate for you all of the glitches
> and hacks in MA$M, you'd be scared to use MA$M, as well.

No one has to talk me out of using MASM.

Is Randy wrong when he says that RosAsm only allows a single source file,
and doesn't allow you to link to external code? Most of what he had to
say I didn't pay much attention to, but those two issues are rather
important.

> RosASM is free, for #%@& sake. So download that sucker,
> try it out for YOURSELF, and make your OWN decision
> about it.

I'm back in Linux, so it's out of the question now.

> Don't be a stereotypical WinDoze weenie, and unques-
> tioning accept what someone else TELLS you.

I'm not unquestioning. For example:

> "HLA.EXE is not an assembler. Indeed, it's not even a compiler,
> pre-processor (or "preparser", whatever that is), though it
> *might* qualify as [a] 'text converter.'"

That's just taking him out of context, don't you think?
From: Betov on
"Guga" <mauroteste(a)hotmail.com> ?crivait news:1127076867.731911.202540
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> Ren?, don?t forget GertFaller and his current work on the BCX
> Translations ;) and Fabricio with the portuguese translation of the
> B_U_asm.

Indeed...

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
"Richard Cooper" <spamandviruses(a)xersedefixion.com> ?crivait

> [...]
> Is Randy wrong when he says that RosAsm only allows a single source
> file,

No, he is not _wrong_. He is just introducing a _HUGE_
ADVANTAGE as an implicit inconvenient.

> and doesn't allow you to link to external code?

Idem. Mind you, any "Home made Assembler" Author can
easily output obj files and rely on an external Linker,
in 1% of the time that we are investing at developing
way more serious ways.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: wolfgang kern on

Betov answered Richard Cooper:

| > Is Randy wrong when he says that RosAsm only allows a single source
| > file,

| No, he is not _wrong_. He is just introducing a _HUGE_
| ADVANTAGE as an implicit inconvenient.

| > and doesn't allow you to link to external code?

Perhaps not in the traditional way, but I already explained with my
HEXTUTOR.exe that RosAsm can easy load KESYS-binaries and run it as
if it were made for windoze (which they are for sure not) without any
need for relocation or linking processes at all.

| Idem. Mind you, any "Home made Assembler" Author can
| easily output obj files and rely on an external Linker,
| in 1% of the time that we are investing at developing
| way more serious ways.

Linking to or include a library would make sense if the libraries would contain
really useful things only.
I haven't found any real good code in any yet.

__
wolfgang