From: Joe McGuire on
There is no key starting with 4D36E979. ONe starts with 4D36E978 followed
by several keys with a letter in place of the final numeral, e.g., 4D36E97B,
C and D and the next is 4D36E980. WHen I search the registry I see a few
examples of that key (the full key name) in some other parts of the registry
but not at the location you specified.

From: HeyBub on
Joe McGuire wrote:
> In the course of reinstalling my Canon printer (MF4350d) I have
> consistently run into this error message once I have installed the
> Canon drivers, which I have done multiple times in the past few days
> trying to get my printer working again. The Canon techs threw up
> their hands and said it is a Windows problem. I am using WinXP SP3.
> Printer was working fine until we made the mistake of trying to udate
> the drivers which required uninstalling the current drivers thus
> putting me in this goofy neverland. Any suggestions? I am on the
> verge of reformatting the hard drive for want of any other
> inspiration and basically starting over. That's a ton of work and
> since I have no idea why this error appears, I have no real
> confidence that it will make a difference. (There may well be other
> reasons to reformat, like I have so much stuff running andno idea
> what the heck it is...) What is an INF? How would I recognize one? How
> can I tell if I have all the "sections" in "the INF?" And if a
> section is missing--as the error tells me--which section would that
> be and can I get a new section to add to the INF? Do I just get a
> new INF? If so, where?

Did you DELETE/UNINSTALL the working drivers or merely install new ones? If
the latter, you can roll back to a previous driver.

From: glee on
Well, that likely the cause of your problem....you need that registry
key and its contents.

You can manually create the "printer" key ad then the 6 String values,
and then the data for the values (along with the "scanner" key if it is
also missing) by following the steps in SOLUTION 1 on this page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00035977

OR

you can copy and paste the lines below (between the dotted lines, and
including the blank spaces at the end...important!) into Notepad, and
save it with the name "printer.reg" (WITH the quotation marks) to your
desktop, then right-click printer.reg and click Merge on the menu that
appears:

/---------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"Class"="Printer"
@="Printers"
"Icon"="-4"
"Installer32"="ntprint.dll,ClassInstall32"
"NoDisplayClass"="1"
"EnumPropPages32"="printui.dll,PrinterPropPageProvider"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
"Class"="Image"
@="Imaging devices"
"Installer32"="sti_ci.dll,ClassInstall"
"TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsInputDev.htm"
"Icon"="0"

OR

You can send your valid email address to me at glenvee @ gmail dot com,
and I'll send you a zip file with the registry file in it.

You will probably have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and
software for the printer afterwards.

From: Joe McGuire on
I uninstalled them prior to any attempt to reinstall.

From: Joe McGuire on
No luck with these steps.