From: Stan Brown on
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:15:06 +0000 from Josiah Jenkins <josiah-
jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid>:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:03:39 GMT, "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:
> >Use your image manipulation software to build your thumbnails.
>
> A good (FREE) thumbnail creator :
> http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

I like Irfanview, which is also free. It does a lot more than just
make thumbnails, and through some magic it can often compress the
original images without losing visual quality.

My theory is that if I'm going to learn an image program I want to
learn just one. Irfanview isn't Photoshop, but it meets my needs
well. And it's well maintained. Once I reported a bug and had a fix
within 24 hours -- mind you, this is a free program (although I had
sent a donation).

http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Stan Brown on
Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
>
> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.

One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
the thumbnail.

Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
size, S (for Save As).

From: jeff on
Stan Brown wrote:
> Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
>> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
>>
>> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.
>
> One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
> better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
> the thumbnail.
>
> Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
> size, S (for Save As).

What a fabulous free program that is. Er, it is supposed to be free?

I know of no way to do that programatically and automatically,
though. With the rule of thirds placing interesting points at thirds,
getting a useful bit could be by luck. Perhaps slicing and looking for
the sharpest/contrastiest part? Such a technique is more needed for very
small thumbs, like the OP has.

Usually what I do, is automatically make a thumb of the full size,
and add an option for the user made thumb. Little to not used though.
I'll give some more thought to this...

Jeff
From: Evertjan. on
Stan Brown wrote on 12 feb 2010 in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
>> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
>>
>> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.
>
> One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
> better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
> the thumbnail.

In a small application,
having the thumbnails preload the fullsized one can be an asset.

> Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
> size, S (for Save As).

If you have to compress the thumbnail size,
the size a little sharpening Shift-S
or even better with the effects browser Ctrl-E will do wonders.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Stan Brown wrote:
> Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:15:06 +0000 from Josiah Jenkins<josiah-
> jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid>:
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:03:39 GMT, "rf"<rf(a)z.invalid> wrote:
>>> Use your image manipulation software to build your thumbnails.
>>
>> A good (FREE) thumbnail creator :
>> http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/
>
> I like Irfanview, which is also free. It does a lot more than just
> make thumbnails, and through some magic it can often compress the
> original images without losing visual quality.
>
> My theory is that if I'm going to learn an image program I want to
> learn just one. Irfanview isn't Photoshop, but it meets my needs
> well. And it's well maintained. Once I reported a bug and had a fix
> within 24 hours -- mind you, this is a free program (although I had
> sent a donation).
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm

Excellent program, so good on Linux boxes I run with wine. Wish he you
make a port. Not Photoshop, but will run Photoshop filters and the
easiest batch processor that I have found.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO