From: Jonathan N. Little on
Stan Brown wrote:
> Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff<jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
>> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
>>
>> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.
>
> One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
> better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
> the thumbnail.
>
> Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
> size, S (for Save As).
^
*

Note *: Depending on the reduction you may want to add Shift-S before S
for "sharpen" filter.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Stan Brown on
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:17:00 -0500 from Jonathan N. Little
<lws4art(a)gmail.com>:
> Stan Brown wrote:
> > Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff<jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
> >> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
> >>
> >> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.
> >
> > One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
> > better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
> > the thumbnail.
> >
> > Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
> > size, S (for Save As).
> ^
> *
>
> Note *: Depending on the reduction you may want to add Shift-S before S
> for "sharpen" filter.

A good thought; thanks!

I don't have occasion to make thumbnails for my public Web sites, but
I do for an internal one.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Stan Brown wrote:
> Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:17:00 -0500 from Jonathan N. Little
> <lws4art(a)gmail.com>:

> I don't have occasion to make thumbnails for my public Web sites, but
> I do for an internal one.

IrfanView also has a batch process that will create an HTML
thumbnail=>image webpage. Not the best HTML but you can edit the
template to modernize the code.

When viewing one image in the folder press T to open the thumbnail
viewer, select thumbnails of images that you wish for your web page and
from menu "File > Save selected thumbs as HTML file..."

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
From: Stan Brown on
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:39:53 -0500 from Jonathan N. Little
<lws4art(a)gmail.com>:

> Stan Brown wrote:
> > Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:17:00 -0500 from Jonathan N. Little
> > <lws4art(a)gmail.com>:
>
> > I don't have occasion to make thumbnails for my public Web sites, but
> > I do for an internal one.
>
> IrfanView also has a batch process that will create an HTML
> thumbnail=>image webpage. Not the best HTML but you can edit the
> template to modernize the code.
>
> When viewing one image in the folder press T to open the thumbnail
> viewer, select thumbnails of images that you wish for your web page and
> from menu "File > Save selected thumbs as HTML file..."

Yes, I'm aware of that but it's easier to do it myself because the
arrangement is important.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
shapper wrote:

> I need to display a list of images on a page but I need to rescale
> them. I am planning to use CSS to rescale to 50%. Both width and height.
>
> The original width / height is 200px by 100px.
>
> What do you think?

I think it is generally a bad idea, although assuming from the dimensions
of the image your image resource is probably not that large. However, once
you got used to doing this, because it appears to work in your favorite
browser, you will have become accustomed to working against one important
purpose of thumbnails, which is to provide smaller versions of an image by
amount of data to be transferred while preserving display quality (so that
the user can have a fair idea what the original image would look like).

I have often seen this phenomenon with Web documents created by beginners
on the Mac, because Mac OS and WebKit quite naturally have the better
graphics filters built-in (let's face it, the Mac is primarily about cool
design, hence its users are more often graphics designers than not), while
on Windows one more often than not needs to have additional software (e.g.
MS PowerPoint from Office) to provide them (e.g. JPEG filters), and on
Unixes if present they might be not available in a browser (except, perhaps
on SGI machines) or if available, sadly they are often of inferior quality.
(I am primarily using Linux, so you cannot call me biased in favor of
another OS or platform.)

You should also consider users with user agents that do not support CSS or
have certain aspects of it (or the corresponding HTML format attributes)
overridden by user stylesheets. This applies to both download size and
display (perhaps an old lady in Leicester would use a preset user
stylesheet with `img { width: auto !important; }' in it because she could
not see it properly otherwise?)

Therefore, you should crop and scale down such thumbnails locally manually
(there are even applications that can automate that task for you, e.g. most
notably on Windows, Photoshop -- so I have heard -- and IrfanView -- so I
did before), or do it server-side (e.g., with GDlib, ImageMagick or Netpbm
-- they can also be used locally) on the fly (perhaps cached if you can).

The server-side approach gives you greater flexibility (e.g., for an image
gallery where the user can choose the size of thumbnails), and in any case
not only will the thumbnails load faster, but the overall thumbnail quality
will also be a lot better then, both which benefit your visitors, and (in
turn) yourself.

HTH

PointedEars
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last