From: dorayme on
In article <m2mxyxt13z.fsf(a)nntp.bednarz.nl>,
Eric Bednarz <bednarz(a)fahr-zur-hoelle.org> wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> writes:
>
> > … (let's face it, the Mac is primarily about cool
> > design,
>
> I am not familiar with that expression; is it related to the design of
> ventilation systems for extreme hardware conditions, like in the MacBook
> Air?

! <g>

--
dorayme
From: Ed Mullen on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> jeff wrote:

>>> What a fabulous free program that is. Er, it is supposed to be free?
>>
>> Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]
>>
>> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
>> Source software, and it is Windows-only.
>
> It is not OpenSource but it is *free* for non-commercial use, so for
> most people that is "free" enough.
>
> "IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial
> use (that means at home)."
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>

>> I have not tried the keyboard
>> shortcuts yet, but generally the same can be done with The GIMP, which is
>> free software, and consequently can run natively almost everywhere.
>
> True, but IrfanView can do quite a lot with a much simplified interface.
> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp so it
> is more accessible for the home user. So handy that I have in on my
> Ubuntu boxes via Wine. A Linux port would be nice.

And it can also run on a Flash Drive installation.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
From: Stan Brown on
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:48:14 +0100 from Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars(a)web.de>:
> Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]
>
> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free

Funny, the author disagrees.

Irfanview most certainly *is* free. The very first sentence of
http://irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm
begins
"IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE
(for non-commercial use) graphic viewer"

Donations are requested (and I made one some time ago), but payment
is not required.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Why We Won't Help You:
http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Stan Brown wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free
>
> Funny, the author disagrees.
>
> Irfanview most certainly *is* free. The very first sentence of
> http://irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm
> begins
> "IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE
> (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer"

When you misquote, you can argue anything.

Thomas's full phrase, which you snipped inappropriately, said:
"IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
Source software, .."

"Free or Open Source" is a group of words frequently used together,
especially in the Linux world.

--
-bts
From: Stan Brown on
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:05:06 -0500 from Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid>:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> >> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free
> >
> > Funny, the author disagrees.
> >
> > Irfanview most certainly *is* free. The very first sentence of
> > http://irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm
> > begins
> > "IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE
> > (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer"
>
> When you misquote, you can argue anything.

Certainly, but I did not misquote.

> Thomas's full phrase, which you snipped inappropriately, said:
> "IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
> Source software, .."
>
> "Free or Open Source" is a group of words frequently used together,
> especially in the Linux world.

Perhaps. But that's kind of irrelevant to a Windows-only program,
isn't it?

In any event, what the PP said in English is that it's not free
software (false) and it's not open source (true). I can't imagine
why the PP chose to capitalize "Open Source", but that further
undercuts your premise since the PP did *not* capitalize "free".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/