From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Stan Brown wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Stan Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Funny, the author disagrees.
>>>
>>> Irfanview most certainly *is* free. The very first sentence of
>>> http://irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm
>>> begins
>>> "IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE
>>> (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer"
>>
>> When you misquote, you can argue anything.
>
> Certainly, but I did not misquote.

Error by omission.

>> Thomas's full phrase, which you snipped inappropriately, said:
>> "IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
>> Source software, .."
>>
>> "Free or Open Source" is a group of words frequently used together,
>> especially in the Linux world.
>
> Perhaps. But that's kind of irrelevant to a Windows-only program,
> isn't it?

Are you claiming there are no open source applications for the Windows
platform? What about OpenOffice?

> In any event, what the PP said in English is that it's not free
> software (false) and it's not open source (true). I can't imagine
> why the PP chose to capitalize "Open Source", but that further
> undercuts your premise since the PP did *not* capitalize "free".

This is Usenet, not an English grammar class.

So, are you also claiming you win?

--
-bts
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Stan Brown wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]
>>
>> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free
>
> Funny, the author disagrees.

You misquoted me, perhaps a straw man argument. And no, "free software"
does not need to start with an `F'; context is key.

PointedEars
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> jeff wrote:

>>> [...]
>> I have not tried the keyboard
>> shortcuts yet, but generally the same can be done with The GIMP, which
>> is free software, and consequently can run natively almost everywhere.
>
> True, but IrfanView can do quite a lot with a much simplified interface.

I would not call The GIMP's interface complicated with regard to cropping
and scaling. Perhaps you have used an older version.

> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp

Neither The GIMP nor using its batch feature require programming
experience.

> so it is more accessible for the home user.

As was that plugin.

> So handy that I have in on my Ubuntu boxes via Wine. A Linux port would
> be nice.

But unnecessary, the license issue aside. Linux boxes have ImageMagick
packages.

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum.

PointedEars
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

>> True, but IrfanView can do quite a lot with a much simplified interface.
>
> I would not call The GIMP's interface complicated with regard to cropping
> and scaling. Perhaps you have used an older version.

The detached multiple "toolbar" window has been a source of criticism
for some time now.

>> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp
>
> Neither The GIMP nor using its batch feature require programming
> experience.

IIRC your need to write a script...I would say that "requires"
programming experience.

>> so it is more accessible for the home user.
>
> As was that plugin.

What plugin?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Ben C on
On 2010-02-26, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
[...]
>> The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp
>
> Neither The GIMP nor using its batch feature require programming
> experience.

Last time I tried using the GIMP in batch mode it involved programming
in Scheme.

[...]
> But unnecessary, the license issue aside. Linux boxes have ImageMagick
> packages.

Yes, I would use ImageMagick for batched cropping. You just use commands
like this:

$ convert -crop '100x100+200+200!' image1.png image2.png
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Newbie question
Next: Sprites for screen readers