From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
jeff wrote:

> Stan Brown wrote:
>> Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:25:43 -0500 from jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net>:
>>> A thumbnail 100px x 50px, does not carry a lot of detail.
>>>
>>> There are no hard and fast rules. Just guidelines.
>>
>> One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
>> better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
>> the thumbnail.
>>
>> Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
>> size, S (for Save As).
>>
> What a fabulous free program that is. Er, it is supposed to be free?

Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]

IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
Source software, and it is Windows-only. I have not tried the keyboard
shortcuts yet, but generally the same can be done with The GIMP, which is
free software, and consequently can run natively almost everywhere.

PointedEars
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>
>> Stan Brown wrote:

>>> One "rookie mistake" is resizing the whole picture. Often it is much
>>> better to crop it first,then resize only the interesting part to make
>>> the thumbnail.
>>>
>>> Extremely easy to do in Irfanview: mouse, Ctrl-Y, Ctrl-R, select
>>> size, S (for Save As).
>>>
>> What a fabulous free program that is. Er, it is supposed to be free?
>
> Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]
>
> IrfanView can be downloaded free of charge, but it is not free or Open
> Source software, and it is Windows-only.

It is not OpenSource but it is *free* for non-commercial use, so for
most people that is "free" enough.

"IrfanView is provided as freeware, but only for private, non-commercial
use (that means at home)."

http://www.irfanview.com/

> I have not tried the keyboard
> shortcuts yet, but generally the same can be done with The GIMP, which is
> free software, and consequently can run natively almost everywhere.

True, but IrfanView can do quite a lot with a much simplified interface.
The batch feature does not require programing experience like Gimp so it
is more accessible for the home user. So handy that I have in on my
Ubuntu boxes via Wine. A Linux port would be nice.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Eric Bednarz on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> writes:

> … (let's face it, the Mac is primarily about cool
> design,

I am not familiar with that expression; is it related to the design of
ventilation systems for extreme hardware conditions, like in the MacBook
Air?

> hence its users are more often graphics designers than not)

That's like saying that GNU/Linux is primarily about being free of
charge, hence its users are more often unemployed, communistic
freeloaders than not.

> (I am primarily using Linux,

As long as the X Windows System isn't running, I can't see much wrong
with that.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Eric Bednarz wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> writes:
>> … (let's face it, the Mac is primarily about cool design,
>
> I am not familiar with that expression; is it related to the design of
> ventilation systems for extreme hardware conditions, like in the MacBook
> Air?

It is meant like in <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>, although
in a slightly pejorative way. But you probably knew that ;-)

>> hence its users are more often graphics designers than not)
>
> That's like saying that GNU/Linux is primarily about being free of
> charge, hence its users are more often unemployed, communistic
> freeloaders than not.

No, it is not. I am speaking from years of experience having to work with
graphics designers who thought they would be able to create designs for the
Web.

>> (I am primarily using Linux,
>
> As long as the X Windows System isn't running, I can't see much wrong
> with that.

No, it's _X.Org_ ;-)

PointedEars
From: dorayme on
In article <10059609.NaK4W3vaeN(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> shapper wrote:
>
> > I need to display a list of images on a page but I need to rescale
> > them. I am planning to use CSS to rescale to 50%. Both width and height.
> >
> > The original width / height is 200px by 100px.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think it is generally a bad idea, although assuming from the dimensions
> of the image your image resource is probably not that large.

You know how large it is. OP said 200px by 100px. So... is it
large or not? Never mind the probability estimate unless you are
concerned that it might be in relation to an ant's or an
elephant's point of view.

--
dorayme
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last